kayumanggi

Respect | August 13 2021 | Aretha Franklin biopic | Jennifer Hudson to star

Saw it.

A two and a half hour slog to get through. Every Estate-Controlled biopic trope under the sun is represented here not just in the broad sense such as structure and plot points, but in smaller things like character introductions (the famous people cameos), and ticks in the dialogue (characters will say lines from famous Aretha songs years before they recorded as if to suggest they were genesis of those songs).
Performances are fine here. Marlon Wayans stands out. Jennifer Hudson is inconsistent. Sometimes she aims for Aretha Franklin’s speech pattern and voice, sometimes she doesn’t at all. She also sings like Jennifer Hudson. She doesn’t sound like Aretha Franklin. She sounds loud and it’s annoying. They actually have Aretha Franklin singing at the end of the film and the difference is night and day.

We also don’t have to sit through the absolute horror of a pregnant 12 year old. It’s brought up but they don’t hark on it. Aretha Franklin maintained that some classmate got her pregnant, the estate (which includes her sons) suggest otherwise. Frankly the entire thing is weird and if this were a better film I imagine this section of the film would be more controversial for just how little is spent on it.

LOW RENTAL - a made for TV film with cinematic production values.

My mom, who loves all middlebrow Oscar bait, broke down crying by the end and couldn't stop talking about how powerful and beautiful this movie was when we got out the theater. Had to lie through my teeth and pretend this movie was amazing because I'm a good son.