CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

I loved both Fury Road and JW. I also loved AOU. Have I covered my bases for being one of the mindless masses yet? :P

The skills & expertise shown in Mad Max Fury Rd are either absent or seriously lacking in both JW & AoU. JW has interesting ideas & themes that never get the payoff. But the character setup is great and I am eager to see what the next creative team would do with the world set up by Trevorrow in JW1. AoU has that "evil world-destroying AI" plot that has been done to death since Stanley Kubrick introduced Hal in 2001 (1968) and something which has been re-visited again and again in movies like the Terminator movies, I Robot, Matrix Trilogy, WarGames, Short Circuit etc etc.

• Like 3

Those were your own words, sweetheart. Be more coherent.

Stop putting words in our mouths. Nobody used "monstrosity."

Gopher did.

I think I'm retiring from defending JW.

It rocks

It rules.

Seen it 6 times

Will buy it on BR.

It pleased most who saw it.

You don't like it, your loss.

What more is there to say?

• Like 8

Gopher did.

If people loved Jurassic World, more power to them. You are allowed to love bad movies. I love plenty of 'em, tbh.

I don't have the intense hatred for it the same way I do something like Transformers 2, but it was not a pleasant moviegoing experience for me.

• Like 1

Style / way ... is more than style - see the first post, I only shortened it. I also do not know the correct term = it was more based in RL than most of the earlier ones, toned down, away from e.g. a bright comic book feeling (again, not only meant for the style, also meant for behavior, language,...).

I do not agree about Spider-Man being the first.. I am convinced it was a built up, beginning with X-Men 2000. I also highly doubt Sony would have greenlit $139m budget / Raimi without X-Men 1. The bigger success of S-M 1 is also based on the characters huge fan-base with younger viewers at that time combined with the right 'style' and quality at the right time.... IMHO

Beside that: a lot of GA people do not care about actors... names, means a lot of GA people do not know both actor's names. Or directors or studio or....

Surprising considering most moviegoers here in Dubai know who Tobey Maguire is. The biggest complaint with TASM here was that Tobey Maguire wasn't Peter Parker. I'd agree bout X-Men with regards to style and tone but as far as popularity is concerned it wasn't the case from what I saw. The awareness and popularity of x-Men wasn't even about 10% of what it was for Spider-Man, at least in these parts of the world. I can't speak for the rest of the world.

I think I'm retiring from defending JW.

It rocks

It rules.

Seen it 6 times

Will buy it on BR.

It pleased most who saw it.

You don't like it, your loss.

What more is there to say?

I have a problem with people calling it one of the 'worst' blockbusters of all time. JW was a decent/good movie. It wasn't ever going to be as memorable as Jurassic park without Spielberg directing. JW was a good tribute to the original. Edited by StarWarsBuff
  • Like 1

You are allowed to love bad movies.

I have no issue with people not enjoying JW or not thinking it was any good, to each their own.

But when you call something a "bad movie" it sounds like less an opinion and more stating facts.

Say you thought it sucked but don't condescend others by acting as if they have inferior taste and just because you disliked something, that makes it objectively bad.

• Like 5

I have no issue with people not enjoying JW or not thinking it was any good, to each their own.

But when you call something a "bad movie" it sounds like less an opinion and more stating facts.

Say you thought it sucked but don't condescend others by acting as if they have inferior taste and just because you disliked something, that makes it objectively bad.

Look, movies have been studied and studied as an art form for a century now. We know what makes a movie "good" and what doesn't.

I love Batman Forever. Is it a good movie? No. I can quote every word of Mommie Dearest to you. It's still not a good movie.

But since it was such a roaring success, those who hated it must make their hate louder. I knew that once Trevorrow got announced for SW9 we'd get another wave of hate, and just like clockwork...

The same can be said for the defenders. Everyone that has anything to say that is not a glowing endorsement gets lumped together and called a hater. Personally, i'm not a hater of JW but as far as i'm concerned it was rather mediocre and forgettable, like so many other movies that don't gross $600m. I want better for Star Wars. That's not to say i'm not giving Trevorrow a chance, maybe with better material to work with he'll rise to the occasion...

• Like 1

Look, movies have been studied and studied as an art form for a century now. We know what makes a movie "good" and what doesn't.

I love Batman Forever. Is it a good movie? No. I can quote every word of Mommie Dearest to you. It's still not a good movie.

There's no such thing as an objectively good or bad movie. That's bullshit. Movies are art and all art is subjective.

There are movies that are widely praised, and there are movies that are widely panned, that doesn't make them objectively anything. Fantastic Four could be the most widely detested movie on the planet, but if someone said they liked it, I could never tell them they're wrong to think so because it's objectively a bad movie - it's not.

Edited by JennaJ
  • Like 2

There's no such thing as an objectively good or bad movie. That's bullshit. Movies are art and all art is subjective.

There are movies that are widely praised, and there are movies that are widely panned, that doesn't make them objectively anything.

Anything can be subjective if you try hard enough.

Anything can be subjective if you try hard enough.

Does that even mean anything? Opinion is subjective by definition. You trying to claim movies are objectively good or bad is the same as trying to say opinions are facts.