kayumanggi

THE QUEEN OF KATWE | 09.23.16 | Disney | final gross ● 8.87 M

Sean Bailey came back on stage to talk about a new movie called The Queen of Katwe, shot on location in Uganda, also starring Lupita Nyong'o and David Oyelowo.

Edited by kayumanggi

Directed by Mira Nair, it's the story of a young girl from Uganda who became a chess champion.

Nyong'o came back on stage. "It was so wonderful to go back home, I'm from Kenya, right next door, and to go home to make a movie of this nature was just incredible. I met Fiona Mutesi and her mother, and they're incredible people. Uganda is such a vibrant country with so much youth in it. Having that vibe to work from was really exciting."

• Like 1

This slipped under my radar. 

It's an interesting release for Disney - non tent pole, non animal documentary, non low budget sports, non Spielberg prestige pic but with a prestige director and cast.  It would be nice to see them release at least 3 or 4 of these lower budget adult dramas a year since they shuttered Miramax.

Looks like very politically correct Oscar-baity type stuff. Still, it's very well shot and I do really like the two leads, plus Disney is interestingly attaching their own main brand w/this (you'd think they would put Touchstone behind this, but no). Interesting. Not quite great or anything of a trailer, but it doesn't look horrible either.

6 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Looks like very politically correct Oscar-baity type stuff. Still, it's very well shot and I do really like the two leads, plus Disney is interestingly attaching their own main brand w/this (you'd think they would put Touchstone behind this, but no). Interesting. Not quite great or anything of a trailer, but it doesn't look horrible either.

Touchstone is entering a deal with Universal starting August 2016, severing the Disney distribution partnership. 

12 hours ago, lilmac said:

Sees Made by Disney. Hmm...what do you guys think $1.1 billion WW, $1.2 billion?  $90m OW?  

No way, man. Just because it's Disney, doesn't mean it's already a success. Ask Tomorrowland or John Carter. It looks small budgeted anyway, 50M DOM would be more than fine for this.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Aww this looks like a pleasant afternoon diversion. 

Love Lupita. 

Me too!!

Come on, Hollywood! Give her some commercial stuff in which she is the lead (I know that you don't get more any more commercial than TFA and TJB, but come on..she was hidden under CGI and makeup).

She is a luminous screen presence that has charisma to light a fucking planet, she can act, and she is a stylish fashion muse that designers love. She is a very well-spoken, intelligent actress who has a rep for being a class act and a kind-hearted co-worker.  When is she going to be offered high-profile leading roles?

I can totally see her in a MCU-steered X-men reboot playing Storm in a movie in which Storm is not prop. I can see her playing Vixen in a splashy DCEU adaptation of Birds of Prey. I can see her in a political thriller, a smarter-than-most romantic comedy, or a damn Nina Simone or Grace Jones biopic. She should have a better career in terms of leading lady status.

• Like 1

Just saw an article about this. Surprised it's not got more attention.  If they're going for Oscar bait, I expected something more like the approach that was used for Big Eyes.

Edited by Sal