Jump to content
CelestialFairyIX

2016: Year of Animation?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

What will be the best animated feature nominees this year?

 

Finding Dory 

Secret life of Pets 

Zootopia 

Moana

 

Trolls, sausage party, or kubo 

 

I feel like the top 4 I chose are inevitable 

 

I think Zootopia, Moana, and Kubo are locks. It's a very strong year for animation with a lot of well-received films from smaller studios, so Finding Dory might not make the cut. My guess is the most likely final pair of nominees will be from among The Red Turtle, My Life as a Zucchini, and Your Name.

 

Trolls, Sausage Party, and Secret Life of Pets almost certainly won't be nominated. There are a total of eleven animated films this year with a higher average rating on RT, which has been a very strong predictor of nominations in the past.

 

You might be interested in the Best Animated Feature thread, a few people have made predictions there. You could start reading from page 20 or so if you're only interested in more recent predictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next year will be so underwhelming for American animation. No WDAS movie, Cars 3 :sick:, Smurfs, Boss Baby, Nut Job 2, Emoji Movie... :rant: Only Lego Batman and Coco look exciting.

 

Compare that to 2018: Wreck-it Ralph 2 :excited:, HTTYD3 :excited:, The Incredibles 2 :excited:, Gigantic  :excited: plus any other surprise hits:cloud9:. Can we just fast-forward to 2018 already?  :wub:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rjones1325 said:

It’s as if Illumination heard audiences leaving Minions and going “it was good and all, but it’ll be nice to see the studio do something outside Despicable Me,” and Chris Meledandri replied, “challenge ACCEPTED!”

http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//sing-review

And my excitement for this film continues to increase!  I'm a sucker for movies like these and if they somehow execute the messy narrative, this film should do really well critically and may even be the last film from 2016 to pass $300 million.  Its up to Moana, Rogue One, and Sing to make the Top 10 $300+ million club a reality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2016 at 2:06 AM, cheesypoofs said:

What will be the best animated feature nominees this year?

 

Finding Dory 

Secret life of Pets 

Zootopia 

Moana

 

Trolls, sausage party, or kubo 

 

I feel like the top 4 I chose are inevitable 

 

I don't think SloP will get nominated. and I really hope it doesn't, The Red Turtle looks amazing and probably will get a nom imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2016 at 6:57 AM, Fadi Antwan said:

Next year will be so underwhelming for American animation. No WDAS movie, Cars 3 :sick:, Smurfs, Boss Baby, Nut Job 2, Emoji Movie... :rant: Only Lego Batman and Coco look exciting.

 

Compare that to 2018: Wreck-it Ralph 2 :excited:, HTTYD3 :excited:, The Incredibles 2 :excited:, Gigantic  :excited: plus any other surprise hits:cloud9:. Can we just fast-forward to 2018 already?  :wub:

 

Are there any studio Ghibli or other foreign films in the works for 2017? if so I feel like one of those could take 2017. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2016 at 6:57 AM, Fadi Antwan said:

Wreck-it Ralph 2 :excited:, HTTYD3 :excited:, The Incredibles 2 :excited:, Gigantic

 

Those are all coming out in 2018?!!!! holy shit 2018 will be better than 2016 for Animation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Kalo said:

 

Those are all coming out in 2018?!!!! holy shit 2018 will be better than 2016 for Animation!

 

You better believe it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Also Laika and Aardman's next films

 

I don't think Laika has announced anything about their future release schedule so far. Besides, with their latest box office returns, I'm not even sure they'll survive this long. A shame, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Laika will survive as long as Travis Knight stays alive and Nike keeps selling shoes. They have a film slotted for April 2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Laika will survive as long as Travis Knight stays alive and Nike keeps selling shoes. They have a film slotted for April 2018

 

Oh wow that appears to be true. I hope it's the Wildwood one. I haven't read the book, but I do love fantasy! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck, I jinxed it. DW announced today that HTTYD 3 will now release on March 1, 2019...  :bash:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My frontrunners:

- Zootopia, 4.5/5

- Your Name, 4/5

- Moana, 4/5

- Kubo and the Two Strings, 4/5

- The Red Turtle (Have yet to see but judging from the critical reviews, the film is up there, so I'll have to see it soon) 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear god, next year is seriously the year animation goes to die. Just look at what we're being "treated" to:

 

The_Boss_Baby_poster.jpg

 

Spark_2016_film_poster.png

 

Smurfs_The_Lost_Village_poster.jpg

 

The_Nut_Job_2_poster.jpg

 

Cars_3_poster.jpg

 

BlazingSamuraiPromotionalPoster.png

 

Emojimovie_Express_Yourself_logo.jpg

 

.................................................................................

 

tommenjump.gif?w=331&h=303

 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully by year's end those won't be the ones we'll remember (or in Cars case one we look back at with moderate encouragement)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know why but the Emoji Movie actually appeals to me.  The premise is very promising and the outburst of creativity is INSANE!  Hopefully it delivers.  As for Cars 3, I think it'll surprise or FAIL critically, no in between.  I don't care for the other films.  I'm going into hibernation until 2017 arrives, unless a Japanese animated film or an unexpected breakout occurs.  2016: Year of Animation... 2017: Worst Year of Animation...  2018: Will it Beat 2016? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

I don't know why but the Emoji Movie actually appeals to me.  The premise is very promising and the outburst of creativity is INSANE!  Hopefully it delivers.  As for Cars 3, I think it'll surprise or FAIL critically, no in between.  I don't care for the other films.  I'm going into hibernation until 2017 arrives, unless a Japanese animated film or an unexpected breakout occurs.  2016: Year of Animation... 2017: Worst Year of Animation...  2018: Will it Beat 2016? 

 

I still think 2010 remains the best year for animation simply because I loved all of HTTYD, Tangled, and and Toy Story 3 (fav animated movie ever) way more than any animated movie that came out this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst part is the ones that could turn out good like Batman, Coco, Ferdinand, DM3...could just as easily turn out underwhelming or bad. There's nothing at all that gives off a lot of hope. Coco is the closest.  

Edited by MovieMan89

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.