11 Blazing Samurai

12 The Boss Baby

13 Cars 3

14 Animal Crackers

15 Emoji Movie

Edited by tribefan695

20 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

WpR4D_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg

Totally yes! Just look at Moana, such a beauty, such perfection, so beautiful background and animation. Our Japanese are still pretty far from being able to do this, even if they can create deeper and more psychologically twisted plots, that's not what Iseek from animation anyway ^^

WDAS is the king, that is undeniable, like the laws of physics B)

13 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Totally yes! Just look at Moana, such a beauty, such perfection, so beautiful background and animation. Our Japanese are still pretty far from being able to do this, even if they can create deeper and more psychologically twisted plots, that's not what Iseek from animation anyway ^^

WpR4D_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0.jpg

15 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I'll take the beauty and vibrancy of an anime like Your Name or a Ghibli movie over another CGI animation. They all look the same these days. 

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'll take the beauty and vibrancy of an anime like Your Name or a Ghibli movie over another CGI animation. They all look the same these days. 

You're blinded because you're anti-CGI.

Look, I always loved traditional animation and I was skeptical of CGI (apart from Toy Story) for a very long time but CGI evolved so much that I changed my mind, they do incredible things now.

Your Name has a lot of charms and poetry, that's why I want to see it, but like you say it's pretty basic given it looks similar to all other Japanese animated movies, it's far from innovative when it comes to beauty, it's in the norm. On the other hand Moana is incredibly beautiful and superior to everything else when it comes to details and beauty : the ocean is so incredible for example, it's a style that you cannot mix up with something else, Zootopia had also amazing modelisation, the fur was particularly impressive.

As I said, you're just blinded. I love both Japanimation and WDAS movies but there is no comparison here : WDAS movies are on another level, far more ambitious.

Using Your Name as an example after telling CGI movies all look the same (that is completely false, obviously) is really a bad move my dear.

Moana and Zootopia all have their particular style, look very different despite being from the same studio. And there is no similarities between Moana and Minions or between Zootopia and Ice Age. You can easily see which one is superior, which one has a particular style.

Edited by Fullbuster

3 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

You're blinded because you're anti-CGI.

Look, I always loved traditional animation and I was skeptical of CGI (apart from Toy Story) for a very long time but CGI evolved so much that I changed my mind, they do incredible things now.

Your Name has a lot of charms and poetry, that's why I want to see it, but like you say it's pretty basic given it looks similar to all other Japanese animated movies, it's far from innovative when it comes to beauty, it's in the norm. On the other hand Moana is incredibly beautiful and superior to everything else when it comes to details and beauty : the ocean is so incredible for example, it's a style that you cannot mix up with something else, Zootopia had also amazing modelisation, the fur was particularly impressive.

As I said, you're just blinded. I love both Japanimation and WDAS movies but there is no comparison here : WDAS movies are on another level, far more ambitious.

Using Your Name as an example after telling CGI movies all look the same (that is completely false, obviously) is really a bad move my dear.

Moana and Zootopia all have their particular style, look very different despite being from the same studio. And there is no similarities between Moana and Minions or between Zootopia and Ice Age. You can easily see which one is superior, which one has a particular style.

Sorry, I'm anti-CGI? I guess that's why I enjoyed Zootopia, Trolls, Kung Fu Panda 3 and Secret Life of Pets this year, and saw each of them multiple times. 

I believe that yes, a CGI film can look good, it can be vibrant, but it can't compare to the beauty of hand drawn animation in either the East or the West. It looks manufactured whereas traditional animation and Stop Motion have a magic to them that cannot be surpassed. 

And try watching Your Name bent dismissing the quality of its animation, it allows for a balanced argument. 

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Sorry, I'm anti-CGI? I guess that's why I enjoyed Zootopia, Trolls, Kung Fu Panda 3 and Secret Life of Pets this year, and saw each of them multiple times. 

I believe that yes, a CGI film can look good, it can be vibrant, but it can't compare to the beauty of hand drawn animation in either the East or the West. It looks manufactured whereas traditional animation and Stop Motion have a magic to them that cannot be surpassed. 

And try watching Your Name bent dismissing the quality of its animation, it allows for a balanced argument. 

There is the same kind of magic, poetry in Frozen and Tangled than in Pocahontas for example. CGI movies evolved, they seem more authentic and less computerized than before. Zootopia seemed particularly authentic and credible, it never seemed manufactured to me.

Zootopia and Moana look exceptionally beautiful and are on equal footing with some of the best 2D animated features of all time in my opinion in terms of technicalities.  The lighting, the expressions, the action sequences, the reactions, etc.  Everything is so meticulously etched onto the screen that you can't help but revere at the simple grandeur, beauty, and expression of art.  On the other hand, Your Name just oozes beauty and expression in a way CGI cannot.  There's a connection, warmth, and inviting trait that CGI has yet to capture.  

However, if Disney perfects the 2D/3D hybrid animation we saw in Paper Man, I can say we've reached yet another pinnacle in animation.  I still remember all those rumors back when we thought Moana was going to be the 2D/3D hybrid princess film.  Hopefully Gigantic, Frozen 2, or another of their films has that style of animation because it looks gorgeous!  

It's become harder and harder to differentiate between Pixar and WDAS these days considering how similar the animation is... It's not a bad thing, but it's much more appealing and powerful to have your own niche carved out than to look like a carbon copy of the next best thing. 

Rotten Tomato scores for Major Animated Features of 2016:

1. Zootopia - 98% and 8.1 average rating

2. Kubo and the Two Strings - 97% and 8.4 average rating

3. Moana - 97% and 8.0 average rating

4. Finding Dory - 94% and 7.7 average rating

5. Kung Fu Panda 3 - 87% and 6.8 average rating

6. Sausage Party - 83% and 6.8 average rating

7. Secret Life of Pets - 75% and 6.2 average rating

8. Trolls - 75% and 6.2 average rating 

9. Storks - 63% and 6.0 average rating 

10. Angry Birds - 43% and 5.0 average rating

11. Ice Age 5 - 13% and 4.0 average rating