CelestialFairyIX

2016: Year of Animation?

4 minutes ago, cheesypoofs said:

What will be the best animated feature nominees this year?

Finding Dory 

Secret life of Pets 

Zootopia 

Moana

Trolls, sausage party, or kubo 

I feel like the top 4 I chose are inevitable 

I think Zootopia, Moana, and Kubo are locks. It's a very strong year for animation with a lot of well-received films from smaller studios, so Finding Dory might not make the cut. My guess is the most likely final pair of nominees will be from among The Red Turtle, My Life as a Zucchini, and Your Name.

Trolls, Sausage Party, and Secret Life of Pets almost certainly won't be nominated. There are a total of eleven animated films this year with a higher average rating on RT, which has been a very strong predictor of nominations in the past.

You might be interested in the Best Animated Feature thread, a few people have made predictions there. You could start reading from page 20 or so if you're only interested in more recent predictions.

Next year will be so underwhelming for American animation. No WDAS movie, Cars 3 :sick:, Smurfs, Boss Baby, Nut Job 2, Emoji Movie... :rant: Only Lego Batman and Coco look exciting.

Compare that to 2018: Wreck-it Ralph 2 :excited:, HTTYD3 :excited:, The Incredibles 2 :excited:, Gigantic  :excited: plus any other surprise hits:cloud9:. Can we just fast-forward to 2018 already?  :wub:

• Like 5

17 hours ago, rjones1325 said:

It’s as if Illumination heard audiences leaving Minions and going “it was good and all, but it’ll be nice to see the studio do something outside Despicable Me,” and Chris Meledandri replied, “challenge ACCEPTED!”

http://www.rendyreviews.com/movies//sing-review

And my excitement for this film continues to increase!  I'm a sucker for movies like these and if they somehow execute the messy narrative, this film should do really well critically and may even be the last film from 2016 to pass $300 million.  Its up to Moana, Rogue One, and Sing to make the Top 10 $300+ million club a reality. 

On 11/30/2016 at 2:06 AM, cheesypoofs said:

What will be the best animated feature nominees this year?

Finding Dory 

Secret life of Pets 

Zootopia 

Moana

Trolls, sausage party, or kubo 

I feel like the top 4 I chose are inevitable 

I don't think SloP will get nominated. and I really hope it doesn't, The Red Turtle looks amazing and probably will get a nom imo.

On 11/30/2016 at 6:57 AM, Fadi Antwan said:

Next year will be so underwhelming for American animation. No WDAS movie, Cars 3 :sick:, Smurfs, Boss Baby, Nut Job 2, Emoji Movie... :rant: Only Lego Batman and Coco look exciting.

Compare that to 2018: Wreck-it Ralph 2 :excited:, HTTYD3 :excited:, The Incredibles 2 :excited:, Gigantic  :excited: plus any other surprise hits:cloud9:. Can we just fast-forward to 2018 already?  :wub:

Are there any studio Ghibli or other foreign films in the works for 2017? if so I feel like one of those could take 2017. 

On 11/30/2016 at 6:57 AM, Fadi Antwan said:

Wreck-it Ralph 2 :excited:, HTTYD3 :excited:, The Incredibles 2 :excited:, Gigantic

Those are all coming out in 2018?!!!! holy shit 2018 will be better than 2016 for Animation!

13 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Also Laika and Aardman's next films

I don't think Laika has announced anything about their future release schedule so far. Besides, with their latest box office returns, I'm not even sure they'll survive this long. A shame, really.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Laika will survive as long as Travis Knight stays alive and Nike keeps selling shoes. They have a film slotted for April 2018

Oh wow that appears to be true. I hope it's the Wildwood one. I haven't read the book, but I do love fantasy! 

I don't know why but the Emoji Movie actually appeals to me.  The premise is very promising and the outburst of creativity is INSANE!  Hopefully it delivers.  As for Cars 3, I think it'll surprise or FAIL critically, no in between.  I don't care for the other films.  I'm going into hibernation until 2017 arrives, unless a Japanese animated film or an unexpected breakout occurs.  2016: Year of Animation... 2017: Worst Year of Animation...  2018: Will it Beat 2016? 

37 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

I don't know why but the Emoji Movie actually appeals to me.  The premise is very promising and the outburst of creativity is INSANE!  Hopefully it delivers.  As for Cars 3, I think it'll surprise or FAIL critically, no in between.  I don't care for the other films.  I'm going into hibernation until 2017 arrives, unless a Japanese animated film or an unexpected breakout occurs.  2016: Year of Animation... 2017: Worst Year of Animation...  2018: Will it Beat 2016? 

I still think 2010 remains the best year for animation simply because I loved all of HTTYD, Tangled, and and Toy Story 3 (fav animated movie ever) way more than any animated movie that came out this year.