Gopher

Tuesday #s: SOC 7.3

Ouch. Decreasing on a Tuesday hurts. Hoping it's Wednesday drop is low to compensate.

I think high demands with low theater counts during the weekend led to a small decrease on Sunday, which probably led to spillovers on Monday, and that factored into the decrease in Tuesday's #'s.  

• Like 3

It's not ouch, as I said it was expected due to the lower Canadian share. Wednesday drop will be softer.

You were right, I was wrong.  I really thought there was more interest for it here.

It's not. It's doing fine not much to write home about, mediocre Thor/CA numbers. Having said that the movie is good, WoM is good and it's having a decent run. Considering the subject material Disney is certainly happy with AM's performance but it's not a champagne celebrating success. Unlike you with DC, I don't hate a Marvel film before it comes out. Liked AM. Loved WS. Hated IM3, Thor 2 and AoU, because they are all poor sequels.

Edited by Alfredstellar
  • Like 5

MI5 was doing slightly under AM at last week's dailies, this week it's a bit ahead despite less schools out, sub 30% weekend drop coming up. AM also holding well, CA will be surpassed.

If Ant-Man surpasses CA:TFA then it'll hit a 3x!!

That was a bar I said last week I'd like to see the film hit. 

How big should Compton's 2nd weekend be, assuming Thursday is around $5.5 million? 

Its weekdays should be at $26 million. Considering it's mid August, summer weekdays are a little bit weaker than late June/all of July.

Could a sub-50% drop w/ previews happen?  :huh: not a lock, but worst-case for the weekend at this point has to be $25-26 million, with how little competition there is. 

MI5 was doing slightly under AM at last week's dailies, this week it's a bit ahead despite less schools out, sub 30% weekend drop coming up. AM also holding well, CA will be surpassed.

Any estimate on AM for Tuesday?

Rank Distributor Market

Total

Gross*

Movies

Tracked

Movies**

1 Universal 28.0% $2,038.5 14 12
2 Buena Vista 19.3% $1,405.1 12 8
3 Warner Bros. 16.7% $1,212.9 24 17
4 20th Century Fox 10.2% $738.0 16 9
5 Paramount 6.9% $503.7 9 5
6 Sony / Columbia 4.1% $299.6 10 6
7 Lionsgate 3.6% $260.0 11 9

• Like 2

Good holds for F4, $50m still possible.

50M will happen, but I don't consider a drop from >2.9M to 1.3M (Tues to Tues) a "good hold". Nor do I consider a Mon to Mon drop from 2.26M to .96M to be very impressive. AMs holds have been in the 60-70 range after 5 weeks. Those are impressive holds and only happens when the public really likes the movie.

• Like 2

Rank Distributor Market

Share Total

Gross* Movies

Tracked 2015

Movies** 1 Universal 28.0% $2,038.5 14 12 2 Buena Vista 19.3% $1,405.1 12 8 3 Warner Bros. 16.7% $1,212.9 24 17 4 20th Century Fox 10.2% $738.0 16 9 5 Paramount 6.9% $503.7 9 5 6 Sony / Columbia 4.1% $299.6 10 6 7 Lionsgate 3.6% $260.0 11 9

Man, Uni is just killin' it this year. It isn't even Sept yet (although I don't see any of their remaining movies to be chartbusters).

It's not. It's doing fine not much to write home about, mediocre Thor/CA numbers. Having said that the movie is good, WoM is good and it's having a decent run. Considering the subject material Disney is certainly happy with AM's performance but it's not a champagne celebrating success. Unlike you with DC, I don't hate a Marvel film before it comes out. Liked AM. Loved WS. Hated IM3, Thor 2 and AoU, because they are all poor sequels.

All these acronyms....I'm assuming WS is Winter Soldier.

If so, we seem to have the same opinion on Marvel films.  I loved AM, loved WS and loved Avengers.  Hated both Thor's and AOU is horrible.

• Like 4