grim22

Jungle Cruise | July 30 2021 | Disney | Theaters and Premier Access

14 hours ago, DAJK said:

Honestly I was hoping this would be a big hit. I’d love to see more blockbusters based on rides. Freaking love Pirates, I’d love to see a Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Matterhorn, It’s a Small World (in the vein of the LEGO Movie) etc.

Expedition Everest is the biggest one I can think of that could be turned into a big dumb fun action film.

• Like 1

If that is accuarte, the film is in trouble with a 200 Million dollar budget.

I have to wonder if one result of Covid is studios are going to start really, really, cracking down on huge budgets. Speilberg and industry analyst have been saying for years studios have gotten into the habit of blindly spending money without much effort at cracking down on waste, and it sooner or later it would come arund to bite studios in the butt. that day might be here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

If that is accuarte, the film is in trouble with a 200 Million dollar budget.

I have to wonder if one result of Covid is studios are going to start really, really, cracking down on huge budgets. Speilberg and industry analyst have been saying for years studios have gotten into the habit of blindly spending money without much effort at cracking down on waste, and it sooner or later it would come arund to bite studios in the butt. that day might be here.

They should but I doubt it. 

20 hours ago, excel1 said:

this is their next pirates tho

I would not bet on that.

They WANT it to be their next Pirates, I doubt it will suceed.

Biden's speech today put the Covid resurgence as the big news story for the foreseeable future,and that will not help the film this weekend.

Irionically enough, Disney announced masks are back at Disneyland and Disneyworld.

• Like 1

Bad movie. Everything feels like it was shot on a soundstage, Johnson is really miscast, the brother was an annoying character, and this doesn't not look like a movie that cost $200 mil. This doesn't even feel like a Collet-Serra film.

Not even a day since it has released and this has already aged worse than the Verbinski POTC movies. At least the CGI isn't as bad POTC 5 (I've only seen clips but the CGI in those movies regressed so much once Verbinski left).

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Bad movie. Everything feels like it was shot on a soundstage, Johnson is really miscast, the brother was an annoying character, and this doesn't not look like a movie that cost $200 mil. This doesn't even feel like a Collet-Serra film.

Not even a day since it has released and this has already aged worse than the Verbinski POTC movies. At least the CGI isn't as bad POTC 5 (I've only seen clips but the CGI in those movies regressed so much once Verbinski left).

Sort of off-topic, but the CGI in Dead Man's Chest was genuinely revolutionary. Davy Jones was 15 years ahead of its time. That stuff would be praised if it came out in 2021.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Sort of off-topic, but the CGI in Dead Man's Chest was genuinely revolutionary. Davy Jones was 15 years ahead of its time. That stuff would be praised if it came out in 2021.

I rewatched the first 3 movies yesterday and every single moment with Davy Jones was breathtaking. One of the few times a completely CGI character felt real to me. It's so weird that Dead Man's Chest and it's sequel are so low-rated though (this movie is rated higher). The craft behind these movies is way beyond any blockbuster even from this year.

• Like 1

The trades projecting a 25 to 30 Million opening weekend.

ANy chance of it doing more then that got killed by the Covid resurgence.

And next week SUicide Squad..whcih looks like an incredible film will  take a big hit,sadly.

WIth a 200 Million pricetag,DIsney will be very lucky to just break even on this movie, regarless of the quality of the film.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

I rewatched the first 3 movies yesterday and every single moment with Davy Jones was breathtaking. One of the few times a completely CGI character felt real to me. It's so weird that Dead Man's Chest and it's sequel are so low-rated though (this movie is rated higher). The craft behind these movies is way beyond any blockbuster even from this year.

Dead Man's Chest and At World's End are some of my favorite blockbusters ever. Probably even more than Black Pearl. They're unabashedly crazy and awesome in the best way. I will never really understand their poor reviews. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

Just now, Menor said:

Dead Man's Chest and At World's End are some of my favorite blockbusters ever. Probably even more than Black Pearl. They're unabashedly crazy and awesome in the best way. 

Yeah I agree. Black Pearl was the only one that got worse when I rewatched it this week (still a great film but it feels a bit tame compared to what comes after). At World's End I didn't like as much first because I thought they were too many twists and double-crossings but I really didn't give a shit this time around. There's just a lot of amazing stuff like this in there:77e986f2507ff2cc805bb96885c192b2.gif

• Like 1

This was passably entertaining but overall it was a mediocre pastiche that took random elements of the Pirates movies, The Mummy, Romancing the Stone, and The African Queen, mixed them in a discount blender with some horrid greenscreen and undercooked/overcooked simultaneously

• Like 1