Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend #s: Straight Outta Compton - 26.8M; Mission Impossible - 11.7M; Sinister 2 - 10.6M; Hitman - 8.2M; American Ultra - 5.5M

Skynet's hq will be in Shanghai next film.

Make John Connor Chinese this time

They'll get a Chinese action star as a proper evil Terminator as opposed to how they wasted Byung-hun Lee in this one.

You are all laughing now but in this moment Skydance and Paramount are discussing all these ideas and they will all become real. January 2018 release date for the final chapter to get those Chinese holidays. One week later in MURICA. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3

Are you kidding me? MI5 is nearly doubling AM WW dude.

1. again = not a 'dude'

2. read better / again, I explicit wrote 'dom'

3. again = ww analysis for franchise movies / movies with the same name in it (movie XY: 3...) have other rules as installment/introduction movies, see introduction movies usually have ~ 50/50 and franchise up to 70% (or more for extremer cases) OS.

Happy birthday Terrestial

Thank you too  :D

• Like 1

It will be so bizarre to see a big budget sequel made that we know will only gross like 75m DOM.

Wait, you think a potential T6 will do 75M DOM? Lol.

RoboCop remake numbers are the target. 

How old are you?? Don't lie..

Not telling :P 

Older than you (my non-twin younger brother is older than you), younger than my husband (since last year 60).

Hubby and me both coming out of a family with unusual old fathers, his dad was born 1898 and fought in WW I, mine was born shortly before WW I and fought in WW II. My father was older than my grandfather....

• Like 7

1. again = not a 'dude'

2. read better / again, I explicit wrote 'dom'

3. again = ww analysis for franchise movies / movies with the same name in it (movie XY: 3...) have other rules as installment/introduction movies, see introduction movies usually have ~ 50/50 and franchise up to 70% (or more for extremer cases) OS.

Thank you too :D

No worries, so you're saying that Tom Cruise is expected to do more than an a Marvel SH film? I take that
  • Like 1

Bring in those hardcore five million viewers from six years ago.

Between them, the Chinese, and the professional fighting crowd after bringing in the Rock, Ronda Rousey, or someone else, this film will be unstoppable.

• Like 1

Wait, you think a potential T6 will do 75M DOM? Lol.

RoboCop remake numbers are the target. 

I dunno, I feel like it probably didn't get nearly as bad of reception as TS by those who did bother to see it. So maybe a sequel could stay flat. Big goals, lol.

• Like 1

He is over-reacting but his point about original movies is accurate. Audiences don't want to spend money on an unknown quantity. People who run the studios aren't morons. They rarely greenlight anything original these days because the odds are that people won't see it..

Originality is such a loose concept sometimes.

Among the people who bought a Guardians of the Galaxy ticket last summer,

how many of them were aware of theses characters in early 2014 ?

Not many I would argue.

Comic book fans said Guardians were C-list characters at best.

Oh and if you scan all the movies of the fall and AMPAS hopefuls , they are all either biopics, inspired by a true story, event or characters or novel adaptations.

Look at the September 18th line up, Everest is a true story, a ya adaptation and Black Mass is about a real criminal. Only Sicario comes from a writer s mind.

So it touches every kind of films except for comedies and animation.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

No worries, so you're saying that Tom Cruise is expected to do more than an a Marvel SH film? I take that MI5 is having better legs and 20m higher total domestic anyway, no comparison really dudette

Nope, that is not what I am saying, as I do not look such ... fixated (term?) at any movies details.

E.g. MI5 has not only Tom Cruise as a well known and/or liked actor in it (that counts for MI4 too btw) = I do not think it's all tied to one person, nor a franchise is alone the reason for anything.

I do not 'expect' anything from any stand alone, franchise, other kind of movie series, I only analyse numbers as they happen(ed), look into details like animated or not, r-rated (what might differ from country to country btw), genre, re-watch-appeal (up-lifting giving mood ...), advertising, distribution, director's reputaion, market saturation, release months, public holidays in which countries, contracts of distributer in which country for what reason, merchandise, and so on.

Or which other movies got released time-near to what kind of genre movies in what country... and so on again.

I do not even use terms like 'better than'... for analysing, each movie has it's special / unique mix of reasons for.... so I analyse each for its own and look how far the movie made money for its studio and/or distributer and so on.

That MP-other income-mix... I do compare, but only to movies that are IMHO really compareable.

= usually at least 3 years after the last country got a release I can finally start to do the real analysing, when enough details are finally available or see HV the first bigger percentages are usually already sold.

I do also look into changings of BO... for franchises and the reasoning given by fans and non-fans... in addition to my other collected details as movie... quality still is a rather important point too - obviously (but very good movies still can bomb, if e.g. the advertising is bad, not the right Zeitgeist or....)

Btw, I follow general movie market details since the '90

• Like 2

So China will get Terminator a sequel similar to how it got Pacific Rim one.

Genisys will set a new precedent, first 400M WW movie to not hit 100M domestic.

It will be the first 500M WW movie to not hit 100M DOM as well.
  • Like 2

Paramount has come out and said we don't know if TG did well enough to justify a sequel. Someone at KJ who works with Skydance knows that this needed to break 500 mil for the next one to be greenlit. 325 isn't going to cut it, even if China comes through. 

The reception does matter. Industry expectations were low for Fury Road. WB had a 150m movie sitting for a couple years after shooting and everyone thought it would bomb. Instead it'll be profitable for WB through theatrical alone. I think WB would rather have Miller work on a DC movie (which makes sense for various reasons) then come back to do another Mad Max whenever he wants. WB doesn't see the franchise as a goldmine but there certainly is interest.

Meanwhile Terminator can't even make as much as Salvation despite bringing back its star. Salvation, funny enough, was also supposed to be a trilogy...

Hoping Compton gets $11.5-12M Saturday today. Thanks for the numbers as usual. :)

• Like 1