CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

5 hours ago, That One Valerian said:

So I assume you're fine with the same old boring retread that's the exact same story as the games?  A prequel is a fine idea and gives fans something new to enjoy that's not the same old shit.

Heard Collider Movie Talk and I couldn't  agree with Schnepp more. The rumor is that Uncharted is making the storylines that happened in the games canon, so what we are getting is a prequel with parts of the story we haven't seen it yet. By casting Tom Holland, Sony has cleverly set this film apart of Indiana Jones: here is a kid that if the film is great - and I honestly trust Shawn Levy to deliver it - will grow into the role of Nathan Drake, telling adventures of him and Victor Sullivan that we haven't seen yet. While Indy is going with a very old Indiana and when they eventually reboot it with probably someone as old as Ford back in the day, this approach with Nathan Drake feels fresh and exciting to me. It makes the stories in the games matter if what we are seeing is Nathan's first adventures.

34 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Youngism is real.

-_-

On the contrary, current culture worships youth.

It's definitely not worth getting annoyed over as this is a video-game adaptation and would probably suck either way, but it's remarkable to see a modern would-be franchise changed this much just to service an up and coming actor who happens to be in a studio wheelhouse. It's like being back in the 80s.

On 2017-5-22 at 7:24 PM, TalismanRing said:

This movie has been in development for so long and Holland is pretty tied up with SM and The Avengers that by the time they probably start filming he'll be 30.

Regardless Sony must be super high on him from SM.

Tom is twenty today. By 2020, he'd be around 23. I sincerely wouldn't mind if Tom is able to get his schedule to work with Peter and Nathan. These are VERY different characters and I'd even argue that Tom's own personality is more closer to Nathan's than Peter. Pretty stoked for this. 

I am an extremely large Uncharted fan and I can't muster any excitement whatsoever. On one hand, it's nice they're trying something different, on another hand, I'm just struggling to find the  point

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrPink said:

I am an extremely large Uncharted fan and I can't muster any excitement whatsoever. On one hand, it's nice they're trying something different, on another hand, I'm just struggling to find the  point

As a fucking fanatic Uncharted fan myself, I'd argue that going with a predictable Indiana Jones type would look like another Indiana Jones wannabe. Sony saw an opportunity with Tom Holland and took it. I'd argue that's the most brilliant move that Sony has done since partnering with Marvel Studios for Spider-Man. It brings all kinds of crazy possibilities with it: prequels to the Uncharted films based on the films, making the films AND the games exist as canon, meaning that the stories we have with Nate so far ARE canon for the Uncharted universe as well. I honestly think it's brilliant. Way better than getting Chris Pratt to simply channel Indiana Jones yet again like in Jurassic World and retread stories from the games. I'm excited as fuck. 

32 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

As a fucking fanatic Uncharted fan myself, I'd argue that going with a predictable Indiana Jones type would look like another Indiana Jones wannabe. Sony saw an opportunity with Tom Holland and took it. I'd argue that's the most brilliant move that Sony has done since partnering with Marvel Studios for Spider-Man. It brings all kinds of crazy possibilities with it: prequels to the Uncharted films based on the films, making the films AND the games exist as canon, meaning that the stories we have with Nate so far ARE canon for the Uncharted universe as well. I honestly think it's brilliant. Way better than getting Chris Pratt to simply channel Indiana Jones yet again like in Jurassic World and retread stories from the games. I'm excited as fuck. 

I don't think the movie really needs to exist at all, that's the point I'm struggling with.

There's also not a ton of room to explore in Drake's life. Uncharted 3 and 4 covered quite a few gaps in his young age, and Golden Abyss before Uncharted 1. I think it's better to avoid the canon. Naughty Dog already explored a lot of it. If you're gonna do young Nathan Drake, disregard the games outside of the necessary elements. Otherwise you're gonna have to jump through too many hoops to really make it work. 

Both Uncharted and Last of Us are stories that aren't going to play nearly as well in film. Partly because Naughty Dog wears their film finfluences on their sleeves with the games, and because they're not going to be able to replicate some of the best things about it. Think about how making an Uncharted prequel with established canon from the games removes one of the best things that is truly unique to Uncharted...the relationship between Nate and Elena.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 0:56 PM, grim22 said:

I'm guessing the Carnahan script won't be used anymore.

I heard that the Carnahan script is still being used but it is being reworked to fit as a prequel.

On 5/22/2017 at 4:04 PM, aabattery said:

Someone at Sony liked Lost City of Z.

I don't know about you, but this casting makes me want to see Lost City of Z a little more than I did before, personally.

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I don't think the movie really needs to exist at all, that's the point I'm struggling with.

There's also not a ton of room to explore in Drake's life. Uncharted 3 and 4 covered quite a few gaps in his young age, and Golden Abyss before Uncharted 1. I think it's better to avoid the canon. Naughty Dog already explored a lot of it. If you're gonna do young Nathan Drake, disregard the games outside of the necessary elements. Otherwise you're gonna have to jump through too many hoops to really make it work. 

What Nathan goes to Asia?

6 hours ago, MrPink said:

This is basically the crux of any video game adaptation at this point. The technology has progressed to the point where they're already movies anyway.

• Like 2

I'm a huge fan of the game, and while I wouldn't mind seeing it become a film, I don't see the point in it, and even if I did, any excitement I had for the film, has gone away with the Tom Holland casting. I won't completely write it off though because I haven't seen any trailers or anything but I'm not excited one bit with Tom Holland getting cast. 

• Like 1

Just now, UTJeff said:

Tom Rothman is doing everything he can to tank sabotage Sony and the Uncharted movie.  Not just that but Masters of the Universe as well.  They don't want Skeletor as the main villain.

What? Where did you hear that? Does it even have another villain besides Skeletor? I honestly can't recall.