CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

I absolutely adore the ND games but I agree that the stories work as great as they do because of the gameplay. You can't just remove the gameplay sections and adapt the stories beat for beat. I wouldn't want a TLOU show that just hits every plot turn of the game, from Bill to Pitsburg to Tommy etc.

As for Uncharted I don't hate the direction they went with. It's obviously a different story that takes a lot of actions beats from all the games. The identical Uncharted 3 plane scene and the pirate ship/golden cross straight out of Uncharted 4 are the obvious ones but I'm sure the movie has many others. All these things sound fine on paper. I just wish it wasn't directed by one of the most boring directors in all of Hollywood.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 2:34 AM, ando said:

The Last of Us Part 2 will be some damn good TV if they do it right. Game wise, don't care what anyone says, it's head and shoulders above the first in every aspect for me. Still love the first one though, but Part 2 really went balls to the wall in story, visuals, sound and gameplay. 

If they follow the games exactly, when THAT episode of the TV show airs…it’ll be a fun day on the internet!

Completely agree on TLOU2 though, both games are probably my absolute favourite games, but the story on the second one is an achievement in storytelling regardless of medium. The way it plays with your emotions and makes you feel conflicted (particularly in the second half) is very cleverly done.

• Like 2

Holland def. red hot right now, much mores than Chalamet. IDK last time a young actor felt this bankable. Not quite late 90s Will Smith/Leo DiCaprio level but a step up from early 2000s Affleck/Ledger/Hartnett mold. Some COULD argue Jennifer Lawrence circa 2013-2014 but I think that was overblown. 

This will be an interesting test. 

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

I'm not a gamer, but this could break out on Tom Holland's goodwill after Spidey. I woulnd't be surprised with 100M total

Had this movie come in January maybe, even then we should all know by now that a star being popular in the MCU doesn't translate into general box office popularity. I mean look at Robert Downey's Doolittle, Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompsons Men in Black International, and many other examples.

Star power isn't what it used to be, people want a more packaged deal with movies, popular actors alone aren't always enough to get butts in seats these days.

Edited by clockwork

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Holland def. red hot right now, much mores than Chalamet. IDK last time a young actor felt this bankable. Not quite late 90s Will Smith/Leo DiCaprio level but a step up from early 2000s Affleck/Ledger/Hartnett mold. Some COULD argue Jennifer Lawrence circa 2013-2014 but I think that was overblown. 

This will be an interesting test. 

I feel that it’s more that Spider-Man is red hot right now. I like Holland, but I don’t think we can say he’s bankable just because of the performance of his Spider-Man movies.

• Like 4

I think this is his first real test as a "movie star". Cherry was streaming, he didn't even bother to promote Chaos Walking or even post the trailer on his socials.

I don't know what even constitutes a "hit" nowadays though. Over 30m OW? Over 40m? Who the hell knows.

4 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

If they follow the games exactly, when THAT episode of the TV show airs…it’ll be a fun day on the internet!

Completely agree on TLOU2 though, both games are probably my absolute favourite games, but the story on the second one is an achievement in storytelling regardless of medium. The way it plays with your emotions and makes you feel conflicted (particularly in the second half) is very cleverly done.

Excited for the YouTube reaction videos to the ending of Episode 2 of The Last of Us season 2 hehe 

But yeah, masterful game/narrative. A shame it was lost on so many that had become so deeply attached to certain characters. 

Edited by ando
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Is this moving? I just heard about Turning Red and Omnicron is wreaking havoc. I feel like things are going to start moving this week

Won’t wanna open the week after Batman. Sony knows this is a 1-2 week wonder; they don’t want that week to be overshadowed.

On 1/5/2022 at 5:05 AM, Eric Smith said:

Watching that really confirms the hurdle that comes from making Uncharted a movie. The whole appeal of the series is how cinematic it is as a game and that you're in control of a big-budget, Indiana Jones-style adventure. When you take away the interactive part, the whole thing's just kind of goofy and unengaging and weird.

That Last of Us HBO show will probably suffer the same fate, though I'm rooting for both to prove me wrong.

Not at all. I think the HBO show has the potential to be astounding television, and more importantly, I believe The Last of Us 2 will be utterly gripping and could become a classic. But I'm getting too ahead with that.

Now, the problem with this movie is that it needs to do three things:

Have relatable, engaging characters

Have fun action sequences backed up by at the very least a solid enough story with interesting puzzles

Travel to beautiful and strange places 

Get those done, and you essentially have captured the magic of Uncharted. Instead of trying to copy and paste action sequences from the game, make sure the movie's spirit would do the games proud.

A minor spoiler, but why the fuck do you waste an actress like Tati Gabrielle as the villain? At least make her seem formidable. She looks like a little girl who inherited her daddy's evil team - and a large part of that is because her outfit is ludicrous. You're having a shootout on a fucking cargo plane and you're wearing heels? 

That's 100x more unbelievable than Bryce Dallas Howard running from dinosaur monsters in heels.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

I might even argue that TLOU2 is the most powerful story told in the last ten years, and not just in video games - but in any medium. It's a stunningly beautiful and intimately realised story that captures what it means to be human.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

He's not even the biggest social media draw out of all the MCU spider-man actors lol.

Tom is extremely popular on instagram but social media metrics only tell you so much. Not all the Rock’s movies are hits. In this day and age, it’s about the package of actor + character. No one wanted to see RDJ in a family movie where he talks to animals in his first Endgame follow-up. I think Spidey audiences cross over far more with a prospective Uncharted audience than Endgame/Doolittle did.

But Tom could just be another Chris Hemsworth who should’ve been able to make Men in Black International succeed coming off Endgame. Established star, established IP, lots of audience crossover with Thor fans (including his literal co-star from Ragnarok in a virtually identical dynamic). Even with bad reviews, that should’ve made way more than it did.

Edited by snarkmachine

53 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Tom is extremely popular on instagram but social media metrics only tell you so much. Not all the Rock’s movies are hits. In this day and age, it’s about the package of actor + character. No one wanted to see RDJ in a family movie where he talks to animals in his first Endgame follow-up. I think Spidey audiences cross over far more with a prospective Uncharted audience than Endgame/Doolittle did.

But Tom could just be another Chris Hemsworth who should’ve been able to make Men in Black International succeed coming off Endgame. Established star, established IP, lots of audience crossover with Thor fans (including his literal co-star from Ragnarok in a virtually identical dynamic). Even with bad reviews, that should’ve made way more than it did.

Men In Black is WEAK ip though. That was an obvious flop from day 1. Just another in a long list of IP revivals that nobody was asking for. 

22 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Men In Black is WEAK ip though. That was an obvious flop from day 1. Just another in a long list of IP revivals that nobody was asking for. 

Is it any weaker than Uncharted where a lot of video game fans seem upset about the casting?