CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

2 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Tom is extremely popular on instagram but social media metrics only tell you so much. Not all the Rock’s movies are hits. In this day and age, it’s about the package of actor + character. No one wanted to see RDJ in a family movie where he talks to animals in his first Endgame follow-up. I think Spidey audiences cross over far more with a prospective Uncharted audience than Endgame/Doolittle did.

But Tom could just be another Chris Hemsworth who should’ve been able to make Men in Black International succeed coming off Endgame. Established star, established IP, lots of audience crossover with Thor fans (including his literal co-star from Ragnarok in a virtually identical dynamic). Even with bad reviews, that should’ve made way more than it did.

I wasn't talking about any of the actors you mentioned here. I was talking about Zendaya who has had more success outside of Spider-man than Tom Holland and is also much bigger than him on social media.

Social media following doesn't mean anything for making hit movies otherwise J-Lo would be the biggest star in the world considering she's got like 300 million IG followers, people watch superhero movies for the superhero not the actor and especially spider-man since its had 3 iterations in 20 years

On 1/13/2022 at 5:45 PM, AJG said:

Reminds me of the ‘Bearded-White-Guy-In-Scruffy-Baseball-Cap-Looking-Into-The-Distance-Cinematic-Universe’ posters from last year

66gir8rjnws71.jpg

The best cinematic universe was Man With Back to Audience Posing While Looking Down a Street

2008-dark_knight-3-1.jpg inception_original_us_one_sheet_buy_now_ 71a3geS927L._AC_SL1112_.jpg

• Like 1

$220m opening weekend

$710m total

will do for video game movies what Batman 89 and Spidey 2002 did

nah I'm fucking around it might make around $30m opening if only for the popularity of the games 

if that god awful fucking piece of shit prince of persia movie managed $30m in 2010 I don't see why Uncharted couldn't after 12 years of inflation and with Tommy boy coming off of his biggest hit ever (as a lead)

Edited by Mango

4 hours ago, JonahVex said:

DOM OW prediction?

DOM Total Prediction

OW: $40m

DOM Total $105m

That sounds about right to me.

What's more interesting is what people would consider a hit. Dune scored these numbers and was universally praised as a hit but these numbers still look way soft to me, especially for established IP. 

1 minute ago, snarkmachine said:

That sounds about right to me.

What's more interesting is what people would consider a hit. Dune scored these numbers and was universally praised as a hit but these numbers still look way soft to me, especially for established IP. 

Dune was considered a success because A.) did $100m despite hybrid release and B.) it's understood older audiences which would help fuel Dune significantly are returning slower than younger adults

For a big budget movie based on one of the biggest video game franchises out right now, $100m is pretty low with a theatrical only release. When they were putting this one together in board rooms and stuff they were definitely hoping it would be a $200m+ grosser and probably a big international hit too but it's gonna take a small miracle and extremely surprising word of mouth for that to even be possible

I want this to be a hit (hoping that it turns out to be good first of all), but I'm just not feeling it domestically for this. I feel like the Opening Weekend is gonna be like $25m

Hope I'm wrong, but that 2nd trailer made no noise. They gotta hope the reviews for this are somehow good and the WOM is that it's "fun" like Jumanji or something. 

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Dune was considered a success because A.) did $100m despite hybrid release and B.) it's understood older audiences which would help fuel Dune significantly are returning slower than younger adults

For a big budget movie based on one of the biggest video game franchises out right now, $100m is pretty low with a theatrical only release. When they were putting this one together in board rooms and stuff they were definitely hoping it would be a $200m+ grosser and probably a big international hit too but it's gonna take a small miracle and extremely surprising word of mouth for that to even be possible

When they were putting this movie together it was before covid. Yes it was filmed during covid times but i'm sure budget decisions were done way before all that considering how the movie was delayed so many times. 

I really don't think any movie right now is doing the numbers they had envisioned for them besides Spider-Man.

I can't see this doing over $200M WW unless it has China helping and covid restrictions getting worse in early 2022 for some markets...but who knows.

Uncharted is a big videogame IP but i can't imagine it being a huge draw. That said, the gamer in me wants this to succeed. 

• Like 2