kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

2 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Do we know what’s the budget for it yet? I hope it won’t be another case where the movie do decent numbers, but it’s brought down by it’s huge budget like Joy/Passengers. 

Seem to be an other movie that used the advantageous exchange rate and Hungary tax credit that could have passed the EU cultural test (like Inferno used to cut the cost down massively to a very reasonable around 75m from a 196m previous entry in the franchise and a planned 90m for the new one), so I would imagine that it was reasonable but still a nice studio movie budget, they went on some locations and seem to have nice production design from the trailer.

I hope the budget is not too low, it is rare we have movie like this with a good budget, low resource did hurt a movie like Atomic Blonde quite a bit imo.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I keep saying this, and you can quote me: this movie will put Jen back in the good graces of the box office gods.

I will say, her biggest box office misstep...put Jlaw in the good graces of kowhite.  So, box office be damned!

Edit: I don't mean Serena don't you dare...

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cochofles said:

I keep saying this, and you can quote me: this movie will put Jen back in the good graces of the box office gods.

She never left though ;) again concept matters. Her one "flop" is a movie that wasn't going to do well with or without her. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nova said:

She never left though ;) again concept matters. Her one "flop" is a movie that wasn't going to do well with or without her. 

Well, I wasn't trying to imply that she has had flop after flop (that's @Kingp0va's job apparently :) ); what I am saying is that I sense that Red Sparrow will be the first Jlaw film that will be a smash hit without any asterisks used (no insanely successful YA novels, no big-star male co-leads to "share" the box office draw title, no comic book brands). This, I think, will be the first Jlaw film that will be perceived by Hollywood as an unqualified, large-enough smash based on her name alone (and nobody will be able to say "meh...it was the bestseller/the co-star/the comic book brand/the whatever that sold the film"). I also think that the movie will be solid enough to break out with audiences in a way that Joy or Passengers (or Atomic Blonde, for that matter) never did. 

I love me some Charlize Theron, but Lawrence conveys a certain warmth that is more relatable, I think, than Theron's ice-cold blonde bombshell image.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Well, I wasn't trying to imply that she has had flop after flop (that's @Kingp0va's job apparently :) ); what I am saying is that I sense that Red Sparrow will be the first Jlaw film that will be a smash hit without any asterisks used (no insanely successful YA novels, no big-star male co-leads to "share" the box office draw title, no comic book brands). This, I think, will be the first Jlaw film that will be perceived by Hollywood as an unqualified, large-enough smash based on her name alone (and nobody will be able to say "meh...it was the bestseller/the co-star/the comic book brand/the whatever that sold the film"). I also think that the movie will be solid enough to break out with audiences in a way that Joy or Passengers (or Atomic Blonde, for that matter) never did. 

I love me some Charlize Theron, but Lawrence conveys a certain warmth that is more relatable, I think, than Theron's ice-cold blonde bombshell image.

I 100% agree with what you've said. 

Also in regards to KingPova, their commentary makes me laugh....I believe they've even said they like to troll lol 

But in regards to your assessment of Lawrence and Theron, that's actually the one thing that I wasn't a fan of in the trailer. The way they made Lawrence seem ice cold. Then again, Lawrence is a great actress so she's going to pull it off but I do wish they made her character seem a little more warm. BUT it was a teaser so I'll wait and see :) 

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Of course it's not a smash hit, she'll also take most of the blame. It's a double-edged sword.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

Of course it's not a smash hit, she'll also take most of the blame. It's a double-edged sword.

That is definitely true.

1 hour ago, Nova said:

In regards to your assessment of Lawrence and Theron, that's actually the one thing that I wasn't a fan of in the trailer. The way they made Lawrence seem ice cold. Then again, Lawrence is a great actress so she's going to pull it off but I do wish they made her character seem a little more warm. BUT it was a teaser so I'll wait and see 

There's gotta be an emotionally compelling/relatable trait to her, something that makes the audience root for the character.

I bet the next trailer will show a glimpse of that.

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 2

Red Sparrow will make some money, but it won't enhance Lawrence's career.  She has enough generic blockbusters on her resume as is.  Either she needs to do big movies that have some cultural presence like Will Smith and Tom Cruise's bigger movies back in the day, or more prestige pictures with top directors.  The Spielberg thing would be good, but will that ever happen?  Likewise, is she in the Tarantino Manson movie or not?  Those are the films that enhance careers, not Red Sparrow.  

3 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

The Spielberg thing would be good, but will that ever happen?

Probably will, has probably more chance to end up with Spielberg has a producer (he has so many projects in the pipeline right now), that said he work extremely fast so who knows.... 

5 minutes ago, Jeriosnal said:

Those are the films that enhance careers, not Red Sparrow.

It depend, if it is successful enough that they can do the trilogy and depending on how they handle Putin in is regime (and the Iranian regime, Snowden, Clinton, even Trump maybe ? will see in the last book) in those movies, it will maybe not be 100% generic, story wise at least, with that director storytelling wise it will almost certainly be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeriosnal said:

Red Sparrow will make some money, but it won't enhance Lawrence's career.  She has enough generic blockbusters on her resume as is.  Either she needs to do big movies that have some cultural presence like Will Smith and Tom Cruise's bigger movies back in the day, or more prestige pictures with top directors.  The Spielberg thing would be good, but will that ever happen?  Likewise, is she in the Tarantino Manson movie or not?  Those are the films that enhance careers, not Red Sparrow.  

She tends to mix money makers with passion project type movies.