kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

On 9/25/2017 at 6:29 PM, Jeriosnal said:

Red Sparrow will make some money, but it won't enhance Lawrence's career.  She has enough generic blockbusters on her resume as is.  Either she needs to do big movies that have some cultural presence like Will Smith and Tom Cruise's bigger movies back in the day, or more prestige pictures with top directors.  The Spielberg thing would be good, but will that ever happen?  Likewise, is she in the Tarantino Manson movie or not?  Those are the films that enhance careers, not Red Sparrow.  

She's done both. THG had cultural presence and still has. She's working with prestige directors (what's Aronofsky if not prestige)? 

Also, unlike many actresses her age (27) and older who prefer to take teenage roles and other roles younger than their actual age, JLaw has experience playing older than her age. That's great. I know that some fans have beef with her older roles but there are many actresses who wouldn't take those roles precisely because they are older. It isn't like she stole two roles form actresses in their 30s. She'll be fine. Nobody has a totally flawless career with only homeruns. 

• Like 3

On 9/25/2017 at 6:29 PM, Jeriosnal said:

Red Sparrow will make some money, but it won't enhance Lawrence's career.  She has enough generic blockbusters on her resume as is.  Either she needs to do big movies that have some cultural presence like Will Smith and Tom Cruise's bigger movies back in the day, or more prestige pictures with top directors.  The Spielberg thing would be good, but will that ever happen?  Likewise, is she in the Tarantino Manson movie or not?  Those are the films that enhance careers, not Red Sparrow.  

Depends what you mean with "enhancing a career." Jen is already a superstar movie actress, and at this point in her career, she needs to get two things: box office hits that extend/continue cementing her box office clout, and prestige-type/challenging films that continue making her grow as an artist and/or get awards recognition. A film doesn't have to be a cultural phenomenon to help an actor's career: you think that a 300-million gross for something like Red Sparrow (even if people forget about it a year later) would not be welcomed with open arms by Jen, her agent, and her business manager? Heck yeah it would.

The more box office she gets in blockbuster hits, the longer she can continue getting the big-time paydays (and that would not take anything away from her doing the ocassional smaller film that helps her hone her skills and/or get awards buzz).

Edited by Cochofles
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harley said:

It looks like a fun movie. I'm not sure this is one to ask for a $20 million salary for. If she pulls it off good for her.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2017-hollywood-salaries-revealed-movie-stars-makeup-artists-1043252/item/movie-star-what-hollywood-earns-2017-1043232

It makes sense.

If I were her agent, and I had three options ( "JLaw in an action thriller where she kicks ass" versus "Jlaw in a horror film where she is terrorized" versus "Jlaw in a family drama where she reconnects with her father")...which one would you think I could ask more money for?

And based on her resume, which of those three pitches might actually get a 20-million payday be even considered?

• Like 1

Hard to imagine what kind of movie she would ask more for (outside some HG sequel scenario) or how much "revealed" mean here...

THR surveys the salaries of the entertainment industry,

?

Ok yes it is some form of:

Sources say Ridley Scott received $10 million to $12 million up front for Alien

Do not take those stuff too seriously, it is probably asking a small group of people with some industry knowledge to estimate what people made.

One think that rarely seem to sum up in those type of list is:

On cable, the Game of Thrones cast each make about $500,000 an episode,

Then when you see the rumored budget by episode of Game of Thrones they seem very low with everyone asking how does movie cost much more than them....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Nah, we have it, no stills there, only screencaps from the trailer. ;)

Well, that totally sucks! :badday:

22 minutes ago, Harley said:

It looks like a fun movie. I'm not sure this is one to ask for a $20 million salary for. If she pulls it off good for her.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/2017-hollywood-salaries-revealed-movie-stars-makeup-artists-1043252/item/movie-star-what-hollywood-earns-2017-1043232

More and  more I am sure these things are just guessing on the part of media.  I'm fairly sure this would be one of her payday ones, though, as opposed to mother! or American Hustle etc. 

16 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

It makes sense.

If I were her agent, and I had three options ( "JLaw in an action thriller where she kicks ass" versus "Jlaw in a horror film where she is terrorized" versus "Jlaw in a family drama where she reconnects with her father")...which one would you think I could ask more money for?

And based on her resume, which of those three pitches might actually get a 20-million payday be even considered?

This is pretty much what I meant....

And from my point of view it is 'what does the movie give Jen' as well.  mother! gave her a chance to work with an auteur she always wanted to work with, and to hone her skills, becoming an entirely new sort of character....but requires a low budget to get made.  from what she has said on other occasions, she puts work like that into a separate box and doesn't expect as much money.  On the other hand, while I'm sure she liked the script and working with Francis again, Red Sparrow seems to be more of a tentpole type movie.

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, trifle said:

mother! gave her a chance to work with an auteur she always wanted to work with, and to hone her skills, becoming an entirely new sort of character....

Speaking of which, I know that films are all make believe and whatnot...but damn, after watching the film, I can't imagine Jen not being emotionally drained after doing certain scenes and getting herself into certain emotional places to become this character and live out these situations.

Has she mentioned anything about what she endured (psychologically) while making this movie?

• Like 1

Just now, Cochofles said:

Speaking of which, I know that films are all make believe and whatnot...but damn, after watching the film, I can't imagine Jen not being emotionally drained after doing certain scenes and getting herself into certain emotional places to become this character and live out these situations.

Has she mentioned anything about what she endured (psychologically) while making this movie?

She will after the break up with Darren. :P

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

In one interview she said that there was only that one scene she did find hard to get back from and that it was a first in her career I think.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm most interested in this scene cause JLaw was training for it:

red-sparrow-movie-jennifer-lawrence_-768

I don't expect some tough choreography but it should be good enough. :)

I'm looking forward to it!  There will be tough choreography but Jen won't be doing that part, she has an amazing dance double, Isabella Boylston, who is a principal of The American Ballet Theater.  However, Jen did train for 4 or 6 months (I forget which) so I am sure she will be doing some of the dancing.

15 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Yes, she said this was the first time she actually had a hard time coming back mentally from one scene (since you saw it, you know which one).  During that scene she hyperventilated and tore her diaphragm and ended up on oxygen, at which point Aronofsky told her they had to film it again, because he didn't quite get it. (He put the camera on her face instead of over the shoulder the second time, apparently.)  Someone else from the cast related the scene as Jen tearing off the set running and DA running after her yelling 'it isn't real, it isn't real!' Jen said her response to being told she had to film it again was "fuck you!" and she told him he had no idea what kind of place she had to go to mentally to do it - but she did do it again.

Jen is known for turning a character on and off instantly, so that is pretty new for her.

By the way, one of the fake things the alt right is hounding her about is supposedly giving the finger to detractors, but the picture is of her relating the above story in a q & a at an Academy screening (complete with her 'fuck you'! to DA at the time.)

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@trifle Jen is one of rare celebs who admits to having doubles and I respect her for it 100%. I really hate it when celebs BS about doing all their stunts when they obviously don't. Why steal stunt double's credit? Jen doesn't do that. :bravo:

Yeah, the doubles work hard and are very skilled.  They deserve their credit!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, trifle said:

Yes, she said this was the first time she actually had a hard time coming back mentally from one scene (since you saw it, you know which one).  During that scene she hyperventilated and tore her diaphragm and ended up on oxygen, at which point Aronofsky told her they had to film it again, because he didn't quite get it. (He put the camera on her face instead of over the shoulder the second time, apparently.) 

OMG. :( 

I can totally see why. 

• Like 1

After watching the film twice (and enjoying the craftmanship of it and being captivated by the story), and reading that story about her reaction to the scene , I actually commend Jlaw for doing a film so out of her comfort zone and so beyond the blissfully "safe" stuff that an A-list actress would understandably choose to do.

Ugh...if I had to do something like that scene, I would probably end up in a psychiatric ward. :(  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cochofles said:

It makes sense.

I think it would less risky to ask for that kind of money if a potential franchise was involved.