kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

6 hours ago, Kenny said:

This does look very good indeed. Is it supposed to be a trilogy like the book series or just this one movie ?

Do not think there is any talk about that, that did transpires, we can assume that there is plan if the first one work to make a second, but a bit like Salt even if the first one is a success, it would not be a guarantee, you need the people involved to be interested to replay the same characther, to love the story, etc... unlike when there is no big star attached when they would accepted to be contractually obligated to sequels plans if they happen before date X.

One element in the second book that could make it a bit complicated for a studio is:

Spoiler

How big Putin characther is, in the post-interview world studios seem to be extremelly cautious to portray world leaders, every movie involving them got cancelled and Luc Besson removed him of is Kursk movie, they could make modification to keep most of the story without him, but the second and third book are quite focused on Putin and trying to take is regime down.

25 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Do not think there is any talk about that, that did transpires, we can assume that there is plan if the first one work to make a second, but a bit like Salt even if the first one is a success, it would not be a guarantee, you need the people involved to be interested to replay the same characther, to love the story, etc... unlike when there is no big star attached when they would accepted to be contractually obligated to sequels plans if they happen before date X.

One element in the second book that could make it a bit complicated for a studio is:

Hide contents

How big Putin characther is, in the post-interview world studios seem to be extremelly cautious to portray world leaders, every movie involving them got cancelled and Luc Besson removed him of is Kursk movie, they could make modification to keep most of the story without him, but the second and third book are quite focused on Putin and trying to take is regime down.

FL did address the sequel book during a press event (where they showed an early cut of the first 20 mins) last year, he said he and others are  open to adapting if the first one does well.

This isn't really spoilers but as Barnack put it under the tag I will to

Spoiler

Putin thing is a big question because he is also in this first book - but only at  the end - and per the same THR report which talked about Besson removing him from Kursk they're removing him from this.

To be completely honest, I'd love to see them try, hell just have it like House of Cards if need be (Lars Mikkelsen played literally Putin but tall and called Vladimir Petrov.)

• Like 1

Jokes aside, I think this film looks phenomenal. Francis Lawrence IMO is an awesome director; Catching Fire was a phenomenal film, and I don't really blame him for the Mockingjay movies being lackluster, as the source material was pretty poor.

But I really think this could break out if the quality is there. I really do.

• Like 1

Idk, I'm having a hard time buying this as the kind of film that does really well at the box office from the trailers. It looks good enough, but I don't really see it having a ton of appeal. If not for J Law I feel like no one would dare bring up 100 predictions, and yet she's not the draw she was a few years ago. 

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

f film that does really well at the box office from the trailers. I don't really see it having a ton of appeal.

Serious, not comedy-action spy movie is not an easy sell and it is not the kind of trailers that tend to do really well either (I imagine it could change with the future one), outside Argo... not easy to think of a recent comparable reaching 100m domestic and that was a best pictures winners with incredible legs.

Even a Tom Hanks/Spielberg nominated for best picture one like Bridge of Spy didn't reach 75m, that gave an idea.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=spy.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

Atomic blonde: 50m

Jack Ryan: 50m

tinker tailor soldier: 24m

Going back to Salt I guess: 118m

And the first 2 and Salt still relied on a lot of action and/or fantastic element.

Those 100m type of prediction does sound extremelly optimistic, 80-85m (Mummy/Power Rangers) seem more likely if things goes well, that is still above Hanks/Spielberg.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Serious, not comedy-action spy movie is not an easy sell and it is not the kind of trailers that tend to do really well either (I imagine it could change with the future one), outside Argo... not easy to think of a recent comparable reaching 100m domestic and that was a best pictures winners with incredible legs.

Even a Tom Hanks/Spielberg nominated for best picture one like Bridge of Spy didn't reach 75m, that gave an idea.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=spy.htm&sort=date&order=DESC&p=.htm

Atomic blonde: 50m

Jack Ryan: 50m

tinker tailor soldier: 24m

Going back to Salt I guess: 118m

And the first 2 and Salt still relied on a lot of action and/or fantastic element.

Those 100m type of prediction does sound extremelly optimistic, 80-85m (Mummy/Power Rangers) seem more likely if things goes well, that is still above Hanks/Spielberg.

Yeah, I was thinking that Salt would really be the only reason to believe this could do 100, but I’d argue that Jolie was a far bigger draw in that kind of role at the time than J Law is now. And it had a summer release date with a very high profile marketing campaign.

8 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The girl's still a draw. As long as it gets decent reviews, it's hitting $100m.

Eh, ever since MJ2 underperformed the way it did her track record kind of begs to differ. Just look at her last 4 films. Granted, nothing and no one would have ever made mother! do any better, but the other 3 really have no excuse. They all opened way lower than they should have if she was still any kind of real draw. This is also a much different role for her. Before she been an action heroine in mainstream widespread appealing fare like THG and X-Men. This on the other hand is a very adult oriented role. Looks like the kind of movie that will be fueled by the over 30 demo, which can be a tough sell on action. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

but the other 3 really have no excuse. They all opened way lower than they should have if she was still any kind of real draw.

It is hard to judge the around Christmas time release OW (the way the calendar fall and so on), but:

Joy: $17m

Wolf of Wall Street: $18m

American Hustle: $19m

(And the others 2 movies on that list had much better reviews and Best pictures candidate Oscar buzz)

Look at say Will Smith Christmas opening around the same times:

Collateral beauty: $7.1m

Concussion: $10.5m

She was certainly a big domestic draw in 2015, Joy OW numbers leave almost no doubt about it, look how high she scored in favorite actor among adult pool around that time (while being the biggest actor among the 12-17): 

https://web.archive.org/web/20160205221440/http://www.theharrispoll.com/health-and-life/Tom-Hanks-Favorite-Movie-Star.html

How much is left, that an unknown, but her metric were still bigger than Chris Pratt for Passenger first weekend.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2