kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

12 hours ago, nick64 said:

obic1.jpg

Everyone has a flop cause some concepts are unsellable. That doesn't mean the actor/actress is w/o actual boxoffice power. For example, Denzel has power despite Roan Israel Esq bombage. Flops happen but most actors can't open period. 

• Thanks 1

Come-on people Baywatch didn't even got close to flop (that was some twitter non-sense), it did 2.5x times it's budget without a China release it was really big in Hasselhoff land, DiCaprio Blood Diamond, Body of Lies, Revolutionnary Road and J Edgar would be better example even thought they didn't flop either.

Bullock is not stable as a draw like Denzel (Our band is crisis, all about steve, Gun shy, etc...) no one was stable like him in the 2000s, but has probably a much better International ceiling when the movie turn out well, Denzel went 3 time above 200m in is career + Pelican Brief and a couple of others adjusted, Bullock did it 5 times unadjusted.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

under 50m domestic, what went wrong?

Slow burn spy thrillers don't appeal to the general public anymore, especially with divisive reviews, they are going to struggle domestically. The hard R didn't help either.

The overseas numbers have been pretty good, especially when you consider that it doesn't have China and Russia. 

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

69.8% drop this weekend.

No, that's NOT nice.

It really did a terrible job at keeping theater's.. despite a bigger weekend #4 than Atomic blonde it had almost just half it's theater for week 5.

Really a bad 65% theater drop, almost 70% box office drop....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Jennifer Lawrence was paid $20 million for being in Red Sparrow. Crazy salary.

Thats insane, but I'm sure she got butts in the seats though. So somewhat warranted. I wonder how much this would've grossed without her as the lead. I think it would've been more profitable.

40 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Salary tend to be private, so I am not sure but it was probably in those kind of numbers (I would imagine 15 or Pitt in Allied 17.5m being other possibilities).

But with how much the movie is doing in market were Hunger games was popular vs market were it was a non factor (south korea, japan, etc...) I am not sure it was a crazy salary.

Not sure were it will finish, could do little in Russia but if it end up around 155/160m

Girl with a dragon tattoo: 232m (86% RT, 7.6 average, 5 oscar nominations, one of the biggest book franchise of all time with over 80millions book sold, Fincher + Craig)

Bridge of spies: 165.5m (91% RT, 7.7 average ratings, 6 Oscar nominations including BP, Hanks+Spielberg)

Red Sparrow: 155/160 (48% on RT, 5.6/10 average ratings, the Lawrence's)

American Made: 134m (86% RT, average rating 7/10, Cruise + Liman)

Allied: 119.52m (59% RT average rating 6.2/10, Pitt + Zemeckis + Knight)

Atomic Blonde: 96m (77% RT, 6.5/10 average score, Theron + John Wick gang)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: 80m (83% RT, 7.8/10 average rating, 3 oscar nomination, John Le Carré + Oldman/Firth/Hardy/Hurt/Strong/Cumberbatch assemble)

Was probably well worth it to pay for a star on that one those type movie often didn't do much more than 50/50 dbo-intl split in the recent pass, easily can imagine that movie doing 30m less at the intl box office with an unknown lead (not sure why if it would not be below Allied or even below Atomic Blonde for an around 90m with a closer to 50/50 split). It is a 5/10 140m R-rated slow when it is not overstuffed/confusing drama with a marketing that didn't know how it could be sold. It at least gave the movie a chance and opened well in many market.

35 minutes ago, YLF said:

Thats insane, but I'm sure she got butts in the seats though. So somewhat warranted. I wonder how much this would've grossed without her as the lead. I think it would've been more profitable.

57% exit poll is quite high yes, Females were in the theater at 53% for Red Sparrow, and Jennifer Lawrence fans were present at 57%, also giving the spy pic a B.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

One of my favorite movies in a while. Once you figure out what its going for, it works really well and Lawrence gave a hell of a performance. Too bad it lost so many screens but it will probably follow the Passengers pattern and do very well in secondary markets.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 10:52 PM, Barnack said:

Bullock is not stable as a draw like Denzel (Our band is crisis, all about steve, Gun shy, etc...) no one was stable like him in the 2000s, but has probably a much better International ceiling when the movie turn out well, Denzel went 3 time above 200m in is career + Pelican Brief and a couple of others adjusted, Bullock did it 5 times unadjusted.

All About Steve had an impressive opening for a movie that looked like shit, sounded like shit and was shit. That was purely thanks to Bullock's starpower. AAS was damaging to her drawing power in the sense that it dampened people's enthusiasm to go to her movies based on her presence alone. The other films didn't seem as appealing and marketing was weak, hence they failed.

I think Ocean's 8 is a step in the right direction for her. Hopefully it's fun and not unwatchable crap.

Edited by Spidey Freak

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

She got the same salary for Passengers + 20% from profit. Keanu Reeves & Rachel McAdams version costed 30-40 mln, when Weinstein Company was going to make it, and Sony's version with Lawrence and Pratt costed 3-4 times (!) more. That's embarrassing. Johnny Depp almost killed his carreer with crazy unreasonable salaries and the same thing can happen with Lawrence if she's going to continue like that. Big celebrities are responsible for their movies being flop too. Red Sparrow shouldn't cost 70 mln $, it's just not worth it, it could've costed and should've costed at least 1.5 times less. 20 mln $ salary for both Passengers and Red Sparrow is pure insanity. 

Edited by Firepower