kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

Just now, HesAPooka said:

AM made 2.7 x its budget. If you think Red Sparrow will do better then make that club.

I'm talking OW in the US. Red Sparrow will open better. I'm not shitting on AM because i liked it, but JLaw is the biggest female star atm

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alli said:

I'm talking OW in the US. Red Sparrow will open better.

Should wait monday to say that....

Could easily do 15-16m vs 16.7m for American Made, American Made was a very well received Tom Cruise movie with a very short an easy to explain high concept with a nice set piece in the trailer, with a much lower competition (no movie made 20m that weekend, Red Sparrow is like trying to open wide against a Ant-Man level MCU opening), it is never automatic for an "original" movie to beat that mark.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Alli said:

I'm talking OW in the US. Red Sparrow will open better. I'm not shitting on AM because i liked it, but JLaw is the biggest female star atm

That's exactly what you tried to do. You shit on it constantly before and during release and now you felt the need to bring it up in a Red Sparrow thread in a negative way.

10 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

She just needs to work with better directors. Also she's definitely wasting her time with those X-Men movies.

She's worked with good directors and yet every time a new movie comes out the complaint is she doesn't suit the role. Other than Winters Bone, Hunger Games, and Silver Lining she's stuck out in her films in a negative way. Not a good thing.

1 hour ago, Alli said:

she may be the biggest female star but she's stil flopping lol, i mean literally no woman is a box office draw these days (other than Annabelle)

Edited by TombRaider

27 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

I always forget about her but I think she's fading too, her new movie looks lame af but then again the only good things she's done are bridesmaids and spy

At least no one saw the Cook Off movie last year and The Boss still opened.

2 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

She's worked with good directors and yet every time a new movie comes out the complaint is she doesn't suit the role. Other than Winters Bone, Hunger Games, and Silver Lining she's stuck out in her films in a negative way. Not a good thing.

That's the problem though, she hasn't really.  O. Russell is easily the greatest director she's worked with and, lo and behold, he's the one most responsible for her career success.  Aronofsky has always been erratic and was coming off of the lousy Noah.  Ross and F. Lawrence are just journeymen capable of nothing great.  Tyldum is a hack, despite IG getting Oscar noms.  etc.  If J-Law actually got the Spielberg movie happening and a QT film, her career would look very different right now to the average person despite her very limited talent.  

56 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

I guess. But in general females wont be a draw unless old school rom-coms make a comeback and I doubt that'll happen. Bad news for the kate hudsons, meg ryans and katherine heigls of the world

This is a ridiculous post. Angelina Jolie was one of the biggest draws until she stopped acting in movies even though she never did any romcoms. Melissa McCarthy never did any romcoms and is a bigger draw domestically than pretty much any male actor other than maybe The Rock.

Edited by BXT