kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

2 hours ago, Alli said:

I'm sure there will be no problem making back it budget. I believe it will do better than many here think

A dour spy action drama that shows most of the action in the trailer will not do well. There’s less action than Atomic Blonde and a longer runtime. General audiences wanting an action movie will be bored.

J-Law is trying to sell the movie on her nudity mostly and that’s not enough if there’s supposed to be more to the movie.

Edited by Jay Beezy

5 hours ago, Alli said:

I'm sure there will be no problem making back it budget. I believe it will do better than many here think

With a budget of 69m, it will need to do around 170m to brake even.. that's John Wick 2 numbers, which did 171m. And that movie had amazing action sequences.

4 minutes ago, 75Live said:

when did this drop to 52% on RT?  I think it was only a week ago it was at 65.   Guess a lot of reviews were added

It was at 61% last night.

*checks*

Oof.

Of the last 20 reviews (all posted today, BTW), 16 were rotten, 4 fresh.

Might be clustering, but... Oof.

*checks again*

For what it's worth, the other 18 reviews posted today were 10 rotten, 8 fresh.  Still not great, but a hell of a lot better than 20%.

Edited by Porthos

Came back from my screening about an hour ago. It's not without its merits, but it's slow-paced to the point of being a slog to sit through.

Lawrence was great, showing her range at every turn. Melancholy, sad, depressed, gloomy, dejected: you name it, she's got it.

Very dreary and grim. Paints a picture of Russia that is borderline dystopian. Russian audiences will flock to this.

If you're expecting action, don't. There is no action. If you're expecting fun, don't. There is no fun. You do get some brutality and boobies though, so there's that.

Lots of exterior shots featuring trams. Should make a great drinking game one day.

Grade: C

Sorry for the rubbish review, but it's almost two AM right now and I'm tired as hell.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

WOM is going to kill this movie.

Have you seen it?

So far on here we have one person saying it is fantastic and he is seeing it again tonight, and another giving it a C.

2 hours ago, Wadey Wilsoney said:

Came back from my screening about an hour ago. It's not without its merits, but it's slow-paced to the point of being a slog to sit through.

Lawrence was great, showing her range at every turn. Melancholy, sad, depressed, gloomy, dejected: you name it, she's got it.

Very dreary and grim. Paints a picture of Russia that is borderline dystopian. Russian audiences will flock to this.

If you're expecting action, don't. There is no action. If you're expecting fun, don't. There is no fun. You do get some brutality and boobies though, so there's that.

Lots of exterior shots featuring trams. Should make a great drinking game one day.

Grade: C

Sorry for the rubbish review, but it's almost two AM right now and I'm tired as hell.

If there's no action why did they need a $70m budget?  Jlaw and location filming aren't cheap but that budget seems a bit misguided for the material.

I knew it. I knew this would end up below 55 %.

I love me some Jlaw and I root for her, but damn, girl...get yourself a true-blue crowdpleaser ASAP.

You cannot continue doing turd after turd (Joy, Passengers, Mother, Red Sparrow) and expect Hollywood to keep you on their A-list rolodex forever...

23 minutes ago, StevenG said:

I knew it. I knew this would end up below 55 %.

I love me some Jlaw and I root for her, but damn, girl...get yourself a true-blue crowdpleaser ASAP.

You cannot continue doing turd after turd (Joy, Passengers, Mother, Red Sparrow) and expect Hollywood to keep you on their A-list rolodex forever...

One of those got her an Oscar nomination, and the other was hailed by many as the performance of her career.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

One of those got her an Oscar nomination, and the other was hailed by many as the performance of her career.

I am sure that getting an Oscar nod for a film nobody cares about and raves for a film nobody saw is going to keep her in the A-list...