kayumanggi

RED SPARROW | 03.02.18 | Fox | Jennifer Lawrence

Rating: B.

The cast was great, the story was pretty interesting though I don't know how this movie warranted such a high budget. I'm guessing it all went to the cast.

Some scenes/plot points gets lost or muddy in the adaption process from book to screen though.

12 hours ago, 75Live said:

when did this drop to 52% on RT?  I think it was only a week ago it was at 65.   Guess a lot of reviews were added

It has been strange for this movie, there were a few reviews two weeks ago then nothing until release - almost like a selective embargo.

5 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Trumpsters and haters voting without even seeing it, real rating will be showing up the following days. (Last week Imdb score was at 4, now is up to 6.2)

Not sure about that. I've seen a lot of people saying how this movie is slow and boring. I'm talking about the comments on RT, by the way. I hardly read imdb user reviews.

8 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Trumpsters and haters voting without even seeing it, real rating will be showing up the following days. (Last week Imdb score was at 4, now is up to 6.2)

RT needs to stop letting the “Want To See” score factor into the actual audience score.

word on Reddit is the movie is “boring”-“meh”. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It has been strange for this movie, there were a few reviews two weeks ago then nothing until release - almost like a selective embargo.

That might have been the reason for the early embargo lift.  It's possible Fox asked a few critics in early, ones they thought would give it favorable reviews, knowing of course they couldn't predict what the reviews would be.  It kind of worked for a couple of weeks.  Anyway, this dissipated the reviews and watered down the reactions in the headlines. 

In other words, they didn't want the headlines this weekend to be about the reviews.

These types of movies are always going to be problematic.  Unless they are done by auteurs like Fincher or Aronofsky, this much violence and sexual assault is going to bring a lot of hate.  Francis Lawrence is a solid workmanlike director, but he's not in that masterclass and when he takes on complex movies, which he keeps doing, it's never a home run.  His crowning jewel was HG CF, and that was already well into pre-production when he took it over. 

I think maybe he's just too nice a guy to be a great director, most of them are demanding pricks.

35 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Audience Score at 54%. That seems low, is the movie really slow?

Something odd, I can't rate it.  I tried to vote as a want to see last week and it wouldn't let me.  Just tried again, just to see if it would let me rate it, and it won't.  Is anybody else able to get in to at least attempt to rate it?

So medical school has prevented me from watching a lot of films the last few months but I'm on a break now which is great because I was looking forward to this and was able to watch this last night. I thought Jen was really really good in it which is not a surprise. The movie is kind of slow but if you're into a slow burning type of a film, you'll like this one. I think the problem with the movie at least for me is that they're selling it like a full blown action movie ala Atomic Blonde when it's really not. They should have either incorporated more action into the film OR not marketed it the way they did. I also have some gripes with the script and how Jen's character was treated at times throughout the movie but I don't want to steer the thread into the wrong direction so I'll just leave it at that. 

But overall it's a pretty decent movie with great performances so I can't really complain all that much about it 

I'd probably give it a B 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisTelclear said:

Something odd, I can't rate it.  I tried to vote as a want to see last week and it wouldn't let me.  Just tried again, just to see if it would let me rate it, and it won't.  Is anybody else able to get in to at least attempt to rate it?

Nevermind, it had kicked me out of my account, didn't even notice.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nova said:

So medical school has prevented me from watching a lot of films the last few months but I'm on a break now which is great because I was looking forward to this and was able to watch this last night. I thought Jen was really really good in it which is not a surprise. The movie is kind of slow but if you're into a slow burning type of a film, you'll like this one. I think the problem with the movie at least for me is that they're selling it like a full blown action movie ala Atomic Blonde when it's really not. They should have either incorporated more action into the film OR not marketed it the way they did. I also have some gripes with the script and how Jen's character was treated at times throughout the movie but I don't want to steer the thread into the wrong direction so I'll just leave it at that. 

But overall it's a pretty decent movie with great performances so I can't really complain all that much about it 

I'd probably give it a B 

That's kind of what I'm seeing, B/C, except for people who can't get past the content. I think the Cinemascore will be a C+/B-, a serviceable spy thriller with some violent sexual content.  Death Wish might get a better Cinemascore because only people who know what it's about already are going to see it.

They either should've added even more sex and violence and went for broke, or just added some action sequences, not AB level, but just a couple.  If this were to somehow get a sequel I would tell them to just go for broke and screw the exploitation police. I'll know better when I see it, but from listening to Francis Lawrence it sounded like he was being very cautious. Part of that was probably because of JLaw, part of it because he was trying to avoid a backlash.

I don't think the marketing was the problem, if you watched it there was very little action in the trailers, the shower scene is the only one I ever saw.  I think it was the media with the Black Widow & Atomic Blonde comparisons that made that case.  I kept reading she was going to be a badass and all.  Not what this movie was supposed to be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

If there's no action why did they need a $70m budget?  Jlaw and location filming aren't cheap but that budget seems a bit misguided for the material.

The cinematography is actually quite impressive at times, especially some of the wide shots. But yeah, I don't know if that warrants a 70M budget. 

29 minutes ago, Wadey Wilsoney said:

The cinematography is actually quite impressive at times, especially some of the wide shots. But yeah, I don't know if that warrants a 70M budget. 

She made a comment, I forget where, that they paid her a BUNCH of money.  Remember, this was negotiated before Passengers was released, and her quote at that time was $20M.  So that might be what you're seeing, a $60M movie, but with JLaw it's $70M.