grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

Just now, Mulder said:

Toby Kebbel did some scenes but it was mainly Terry Notary. 

iirc, Kebbel did some facial reference eating spaghetti for the scene where Kong ate that Octopus.

• Like 1

Just now, TMP said:

iirc, Kebbel did some facial reference eating spaghetti for the scene where Kong ate that Octopus.

Yep that was it. Iirc he was also the MoCap assistant the way Andy Serkis was on G-2014.

• Like 1

In the conversation of where should this open on, I decided that I wanted to basically do my own reshufflings of the entire WB slate for 2020-2022, so here we go:

1. Just Mercy - MLK Weekend 2020 (stays as is - a Bryan Stevenson biopic absolutely belongs on MLK Weekend, no matter what competition it faces)
  2. Birds Of Prey - President's Day Weekend 2020 (moves up one week - yes, having a great 2nd weekend always helps, but I feel like this movie should take advantage of a massive OW more than just a steady 2nd weekend hold, especially since Suicide Squad left a lot of people disappointed and those might not turn up as much on a non-inflated OW, and it would always have a 50%+ drop on 2nd weekend regardless of reception... plus, no direct competition until New Mutants in April)
  3. In The Heights - March 13 2020 (moves down three months - it's a musical, and A Star Is Born proved that musicals can do great outside of Summer or Christmas, and it also has no competition in March and can tap into the female + musical-friendly audiences that Mulan won't really hit, since that is apparently not going to be a musical.... Hell, I'm not even sure if it's even making its release date, due to the added changes like Mushu)
  4. Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5 2020 (stays as is - the blockbuster of 2020 coming out in the same release date as the 1st movie, no need to change it)
  5. Tenet - July 17 2020 (stays as is - worked for Inception, worked for Dunkirk, worked for The Dark Knight trilogy.... Nolan is a staple of mid-July, no reason to change either)
  6. The Witches - August 7 2020 (moves down two months - I get the idea of opening this on Halloween season, but Scoob needs that bump way more, because this is likely not doing great just about anywhere, given how poor Zemeckis' record has been lately and how the last Roald Dahl adaptation, The BFG, was a disastrous flop, so might as well put it in August where it gets late Summer weekday bumps and appeals to young girls amongst a crowd of male and/or older demographic films)
  7. The Conjuring 3 - Labor Day Weekend 2020 (moves down one week - It and The Nun worked very well on the movie's current frame.... but there's no reason not to open the horror tentpole in the beginning of the month, and a holiday weekend at that, instead of in its 2nd weekend; Monster Hunter can run the fuck away)
  8. Scoob - September 25 2020 (moves up four months - I know that September has been a bad date for WAG, but Scooby-Doo is very Halloween-friendly, Summer 2020 is overly competitive for family animation, and this can blow up in a safe spot with good marketing and little competition, since no way The Mitchells Vs. The Machines stays if this were to move here... if Hotel Transylvania can breakout, this can breakout too)
  9. Dune - November 20 2020 (stays as is - this needs legs to survive, and a weekend before Thanksgiving is a fine enough place to open, while also counting on Godzilla Vs. Kong as a late leg helper to fight Christmas theater count massacres)
  10. The Many Saints Of Newark - December 4 2020 [limited] / January 1 2021 [wide] (moves up three months - a prequel to The Sopranos sounds like a potential awards player, and even if it isn't.... which, due to Alan Taylor direction, there's a chance it won't be, it should at least build up hype by limited release, before being unleashed in wide on one of the busiest days of the year)
  11. Godzilla Vs. Kong - December 18 2020 (moves up nine months - after Avatar 2's departure, the Holidays of 2020 were left without a giant blockbuster..... what better to fill that role than a four-quadrant appealing monster movie featuring two of the most iconic behemoths of cinema history?)
  12. Sesame Street - MLK Weekend 2021 (stays as is - this slot has worked for family movies decently enough before, and The Muppets films didn't do insane business, so the only chance this really has is through good marketing + good release date + lack of competition, and with Tom And Jerry giving it a double feature boost a few weekends later and thus forcing Rugrats to run, it can hold its own here)
  13. Tom And Jerry - February 5 2021 (moves down two months - the current slate of family competition in March and April isn't too bad compared to Summer, and this could really benefit from the Lego/Peter Rabbit/Gnomeo slot)
  14. Akira - May 21 2021 (stays as is - similarly to Dune, I feel like this needs good legs above all else, and having the Thanksgiving + June weekday bumps really helps)
  15. The Suicide Squad - August 6 2021 (stays as is - same spot as the 1st movie, which broke August's OW record, so no need to change)
  16. Mortal Kombat - Labor Day Weekend 2021 (moves up six months - fills up the New Line horror tentpole for September.... well, it's not traditional horror, but it's still a pretty gorey and horrific thing on its own right, and it's Mortal fucking Kombat.... it'll do well) 
  17. The Batman - October 1 2021 (moves up four months - while a Batman movie is always a big deal, the competition surrounding it in its current June release date is insane, and the movie can definitely get a Halloween bump + October OW record headlines)
  18. Space Jam 2 - November 12 2021 (moves up four months - same release date as the original Space Jam, with the Thanksgiving bump and potentially Christmas crossover helping.... only that Disney animated movie on Thanksgiving is an issue, but if The Grinch took the blunt of Ralph Breaks The Internet fine, this can fight some competition too)
  19. Pokémon 2 - December 22 2021 (currently unslated - we know that Pokémon 2 is already being worked on, so I think that putting it on Christmas is the wisest choice, as it doesn't have too much of an audience overlapse with Avatar as it would with Star Wars, it can have big family appeal and it can eat up whatever spillover Avatar 2 creates if it's a crowdpleasing movie that focuses more on what people like the most about Pokémon, which is the battling)
  20. Minecraft - February 11 2022 (moves down one month - again, same reason as Tom And Jerry: it will benefit from the release date that has given so many wonders to other family films before)
  21. Fantastic Beasts 3 - June 3 2022 (moves up eight months - Summer releases have been kind to Harry Potter films before, and this kinda needs the Summer weekday bump after the disappointing performance of The Crimes Of Grindelwald)
  22. Sherlock Holmes 3 - July 15 2022 (moves up seven months - between it and Beasts, it's the one that can take the MCU onslaught on July 29th + Mission: Impossible 8 the weekend after better, since its audience crosses over with those audiences less than the Beasts one.... not to mention it has a huge draw factor on its own right: the return of Robert Downey Jr. to his most famous non-Iron Man role)
  23. DC Super Pets - August 19 2022 (moves up three months - separates itself from the animated and superhero competition just fine and has the late Summer all to itself)
  24. The Ballad Of Richard Jewell - Thanksgiving Weekend 2022 [limited] / January 6 2023 [wide] (currently unslated - originally, I was going to do the same strategy as The Mule, but I decided to give that to The Wild Bunch instead and presume this may be an actual award contender)
  25. Aquaman 2 - December 16 2022 (stays as is - I would not move this if I were WB... yes, the Star Wars movie is slated for the same weekend, but this is the bigger fish out of the two imo.... no pun intended)
  26. The Wild Bunch - December 21 2022 (currently unslated - same strategy as that of The Mule: adult appealing movie counterprograms everyfuckingthing else in the Holidays)
Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The Batman - October 1 2021 (moves up four months - while a Batman movie is always a big deal, the competition surrounding it in its current June release date is insane, and the movie can definitely get a Halloween bump + October OW record headlines

Is it? Jurassic World 3 and...? Unless Indy 5 is ready on time, and even then that's two whole weeks. Also, The Ballad Of Richard Jewell starts shooting next month lmao. It'll probably be out at the end of this year if anything.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Is it? Jurassic World 3 and...? Unless Indy 5 is ready on time, and even then that's two whole weeks. Also, The Ballad Of Richard Jewell starts shooting next month lmao. It'll probably be out at the end of this year if anything.

Jurassic World, a Disney movie on Memorial Day, a Pixar movie, Sing 2, Indiana Jones, Mission: Impossible in late July..... some of these are family skewing films that don't necessarily hurt Batman and they have distance from it, sure, but they're still big openers that could steal some change that Batman could make if it was all on its own. I think Batman would be much safer in October than in June atm.

And as for Richard Jewell, didn't know it was already shooting next month, but it coming out this year? If they start the marketing in September, I guess it could..... but I feel like that'd be way too on the nose. But ehh, we'll see.

24 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

And as for Richard Jewell, didn't know it was already shooting next month, but it coming out this year? If they start the marketing in September, I guess it could..... but I feel like that'd be way too on the nose. But ehh, we'll see.

The Mule started shooting June 2018. Came out December.

Also, outside of maybe Jurassic World, Batman's the biggest property of all those films. Don't see why WB would want to lose their biggest film of summer 2021, especially since it starts shooting in December.

We’re looking at an almost David vs. Goliath situation. Because everyone, the moment you say Godzilla’s going to fight Kong, your first reaction is Kong doesn’t stand a chance. Godzilla’s got his radioactive breath, et cetera, et cetera.

You know, it’s like watching Rocky go up against Ivan Drago. It seems like it’s unfair but clearly, this means the underdog might have a few surprises

Dougherty says some more on Kong and reasons for the two monsters to fight in the interview. 

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Jurassic World, a Disney movie on Memorial Day, a Pixar movie, Sing 2, Indiana Jones, Mission: Impossible in late July..... some of these are family skewing films that don't necessarily hurt Batman and they have distance from it, sure, but they're still big openers that could steal some change that Batman could make if it was all on its own. I think Batman would be much safer in October than in June atm.

I don't see WB giving up a prime July slot, I think it's more likely Batman would move to July and TSS to October or they switch the release dates of FB3 and Space Jam 2 as the former is shooting next Spring so it'll certainly be ready for 2021. 

18 hours ago, TMP said:

The Mule started shooting June 2018. Came out December.

Also, outside of maybe Jurassic World, Batman's the biggest property of all those films. Don't see why WB would want to lose their biggest film of summer 2021, especially since it starts shooting in December.

Shit.... that's some fast production. Eastwood is a fucking machine. Well, we could just assume that the 2022 slot is for some other Eastwood movie (or an awards player, in case Clint tragically doesn't make it to 2022) :ph34r:

And yeah, Batman is only second to Jurassic World as the biggest property out of all of those, but my justification is that the less competition, the better. Sure, you're giving up Summer weekdays, but you're also getting a likely dire October where you can get easy OW record headlines in return. The only thing in the wake of an October release would be the MCU opener from the 1st weekend of November, but even on that end, Batman is not Shazam. He's a big enough deal to survive whatever MCU opener comes out.... even if it was an Avengers movie. Plus, besides The Batman, they also have The Suicide Squad in the Summer. Do you really wanna risk overshadowing Suicide Squad - a movie that needs to be handled as carefully as possible - with a huge Batman movie just two months prior? Cause the transitions of marketing from Wonder Woman to Justice League and Aquaman to Shazam! were pretty..... lame, to say the least. And I understand that Batman could help Suicide Squad's awareness, but I feel like there's just as big a risk of it overshadowing it if anything.

12 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I don't see WB giving up a prime July slot, I think it's more likely Batman would move to July and TSS to October or they switch the release dates of FB3 and Space Jam 2 as the former is shooting next Spring so it'll certainly be ready for 2021.

With The Suicide Squad in August, a prime July release date might not really be necessary. Akira being the only Summer release from WB up until TSS would mean that WB can convince theaters to keep Akira for a good while (assuming it doesn't have awful legs; that was a strategy that worked with Fifty Shades Freed, which didn't have great legs, though they weren't really bad either). Also, it wouldn't be the 1st time that WB effectively doesn't try that hard on Summer season. Last year on Summer, their highest profile release was Ocean's 8. Their Summer was basically a bunch of mid-tier films and nothing more. Granted, Crazy Rich Asians and The Meg broke out huge, and The Meg had an enormous budget while CRA had massive cultural expectations, but no one saw those films as true blockbusters.

As for Beasts 3, yeah, it may be ready for 2021, but I think it probably could use with the separation of 4 years better than just 3, considering the poor reception of Grindelwald. Would give everyone time to prepare themselves as best as possible. But yeah, I agree with Space Jam going for November.

34 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

That's a bold subtitle.

Knowing Hollywood they will chicken out and team them up to fight some common enemy.

2 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Looking good. Kong should be at least 90 meters (three times bigger than in Skull Island) to fight with this Godzilla.