grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Godzilla vs Kong is a bit too early, you don't want another case like KOTM where a teaser drops and then there is no follow-up for 6 months. 

SDCC worked out perfectly for Aquaman and can work for August and September releases, but beyond that it is too early for anything, especially in today's environment where attention spans are much shorter.

I actually wonder if the decision to release the well-received Claire De Lune teaser for Godzilla 2 around 10 months from release wasnt that good in hindsight when it came to building buzz. 

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I understand the decision to not have a SDCC panel tbh. None of the movies apart from Birds of Prey will actually be in the stage where they will normally be dropping a teaser or trailer. Joker trailer will be with IT2, WW84 is way too early for a teaser, Godzilla vs Kong is a bit too early, you don't want another case like KOTM where a teaser drops and then there is no follow-up for 6 months. 

Weirdly enough, I was actually wondering about the WB panel a couple of days ago in a discussion on Reddit. It really did not seem to me that any of their movies were in the right point in the marketing cycle to benefit from SDCC. A lot of people disagreed with me on Reddit, but I think studios are now of the idea that they want the marketing to come out based on timelines than because SDCC is near. SDCC worked out perfectly for Aquaman and can work for August and September releases, but beyond that it is too early for anything, especially in today's environment where attention spans are much shorter.

Initially I was surprised that WB are pulling out and slightly disappointed because they have tended to release the footage they show online, often way earlier than expected. However, seeing how KOTM and Shazam couldn't maintain the early buzz their Comic-Con trailers generated due to the large gap between the convention and their eventual release, it's probably not a bad move. I could see a Joker trailer still coming out around that time though, having a second one premiere with IT2 would be a bit too close to the former's release.

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I understand the decision to not have a SDCC panel tbh. None of the movies apart from Birds of Prey will actually be in the stage where they will normally be dropping a teaser or trailer. Joker trailer will be with IT2, WW84 is way too early for a teaser, Godzilla vs Kong is a bit too early, you don't want another case like KOTM where a teaser drops and then there is no follow-up for 6 months. 

Weirdly enough, I was actually wondering about the WB panel a couple of days ago in a discussion on Reddit. It really did not seem to me that any of their movies were in the right point in the marketing cycle to benefit from SDCC. A lot of people disagreed with me on Reddit, but I think studios are now of the idea that they want the marketing to come out based on timelines than because SDCC is near. SDCC worked out perfectly for Aquaman and can work for August and September releases, but beyond that it is too early for anything, especially in today's environment where attention spans are much shorter.

WW84 was supposed to release this Nov when it went into production before it got delayed. they surely would have a lot of footage ready by July.. 

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

WW84 was supposed to release this Nov when it went into production before it got delayed. they surely would have a lot of footage ready by July.. 

There's a difference between having the footage and being the right time to release it. They can release a teaser in July and then have complete silence till December and then again nothing till March which breaks momentum in today's environment. Instead, a teaser in November/December, first trailer in Feb/March and final trailer in May achieves the same marketing goal with smaller breaks to disrupt any momentum.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's a difference between having the footage and being the right time to release it. They can release a teaser in July and then have complete silence till December and then again nothing till March which breaks momentum in today's environment. Instead, a teaser in November/December, first trailer in Feb/March and final trailer in May achieves the same marketing goal with smaller breaks to disrupt any momentum.

it worked out pretty fine for Wonder Woman in 2 years ago (teaser in July and full trailer on Nov and then resume marketing in March),  I don't see why they won't do it again. 

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

it worked out pretty fine for Wonder Woman in 2 years ago (teaser in July and full trailer on Nov and then resume marketing in March),  I don't see why they won't do it again. 

Because times have changed, its now about momentum than about having things timed to SDCC.  Marketing starts December officially, a 6 month promo campaign means constant flow of news keeping the movie in the conversation as opposed to lulls in between

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Looks like it will move.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.

45 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Looks like it will move.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.

Smart move after audiences completely rejected Godzilla 2

48 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Looks like it will move.

RESHOOTS FORTHCOMING!

:apocalypse:

They should cut their losses and sell it to Netflix. Otherwise this is going to be a huge bomb if released in theatres, audiences simply don't care about giant monsters anymore.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

12 minutes ago, Hunch said:

They should cut their losses and sell it to Netflix. Otherwise this is going to be a huge bomb if released in theatres, audiences simply don't care about giant monsters anymore.

100% agreed. If it does get released theatrically, GvK should not be released in the summer. The fans will come out to see it regardless of the month, and it will face less competition if it hits screens in the fall or post holidays in the winter.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1