grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

3 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Is the director of Godzilla vs kong better than Gareth Edwards?

In terms of visuals, Edwards hands down.

In terms of handling story & filmmaking as a whole, Id go with GvK's Adam Wingard.

Sure, Blair Witch & Death Note werent very well-received, but his original ideas like Youre Next & The Guest are very enjoyable & fun genre films.

Im hoping we get to see that side of Wingard for GvK. 

KotM  was a straight up Godzilla fan boy film(hey I loved it!). GvsKong needs to be more than that and that’s what LP and WB will have to figure out if they push this back.

Edited by Cookson
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Suicide Squad 2 will be ready in time!!

Considering the drops of sequels this year and these past few years, I'd argue it's best not to rush Twocide as it too could have a nasty drop. 

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

11 hours ago, Macleod said:

RESHOOTS FORTHCOMING!

:apocalypse:

I think i said it in the KOTM threads or maybe here that after the poor performance of KOTM, folks in charge will panic and there will be turmoil behind the scenes on GvK. Lots of fighting in editing and possibly reshoots to add more human stuff or improve on that or cut some expensive set pieces and replace with cheap ones to save on cgi money. It's all happening. 

Nov/Dec 2020 would be solid. Will give it some breathing space and maybe help it go past 500M ww if it ends up positively reviewed.

The suggestions here that they should sell it to Netflix is ridiculous. It is definitely not how contracts and licensing works (Unless Netflix was to somehow offer a mind boggling amount of money to cover everything). Makes me wonder if anyone else here even follows the movie industry.

First off, GvK has already been worked on and finished filming in April. Secondly, money doesn't magically vanish like that into something else. It has already been spent on sets, cgi costs, salaries, etc. More pickup shots will happen but it is fairly common in the movie industry. "Reshoots" are done literally all the time but people assume its evil. If they want to add more monster fights that’s will be all done in post-production but it's up to Legendary if they want to change it up. 

I have more faith in Rossio's script than Wingard tbh. If the delay happens 2020 December does seem way more reasonable than March in terms of competitors. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I wonder if the WB execs who were there for the BvS/JL debacle are having a sense of deja vu. 

Probably. A sequel to a panned underperforming film a year later is always a recipe for disaster. 

8 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

The suggestions here that they should sell it to Netflix is ridiculous. It is definitely not how contracts and licensing works (Unless Netflix was to somehow offer a mind boggling amount of money to cover everything). Makes me wonder if anyone else here even follows the movie industry.

First off, GvK has already been worked on and finished filming in April. Secondly, money doesn't magically vanish like that into something else. It has already been spent on sets, cgi costs, salaries, etc. More pickup shots will happen but it is fairly common in the movie industry. "Reshoots" are done literally all the time but people assume its evil. If they want to add more monster fights that’s will be all done in post-production but it's up to Legendary if they want to change it up. 

I have more faith in Rossio's script than Wingard tbh. If the delay happens 2020 December does seem way more reasonable than March in terms of competitors. 

I've followed the film industry for 13 years and know countless people who work in it. There is recent precedent for a major studio selling a film off to streaming to cut losses: that's what Paramount did with Annihilation. There were also contracts and licensing rights (it was a book adaptation) and such involved there as there are in any production. Guess what, studios have armies of lawyers and if Warners decides that it's the best course of action to avoid a $100m loss flop, then they will do what they have to go down that route. It might also help both franchises long-term by avoiding the stink of a mega bomb released in theatres. 

I only think they would consider this if the film is AWFUL though. If the Warner Bros execs look at it and they realize they're looking at a sub 30% RT disaster that will not only bomb but disappoint fans massively, then it might make sense to do that. If the film is solid like Skull Island was then I doubt they'd ever think about putting it on streaming.

Edited by Hunch