grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

4 minutes ago, Juby said:

Looking good. Kong should be at least 90 meters (three times bigger than in Skull Island) to fight with this Godzilla.

yeah i think someone says in KSI that kong is young and growing.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:31 AM, marveldcfox said:

That's a bold subtitle.

Knowing Hollywood they will chicken out and team them up to fight some common enemy.

It’s guaranteed at this point. The whole “human conspiracy” thing and the credit clippings from KOTM along with recent rumors that align with them. All pointing to that. 

I understand the Dec logic, 2020 will be the final free Dec before the Avatar/Stars Wars A Christmas Story starts for the next 7 years.  With that said, Kong did well in a March spot 2 years ago.   Better than Godzilla is doing in the Summer frame this year and it had better legs than Godzilla 2014.   I think Kong could be the boost this needs.  I also believe that's their thinking is they can repeat the success in March.   So I would keep the date for now.

16 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

I understand the Dec logic, 2020 will be the final free Dec before the Avatar/Stars Wars A Christmas Story starts for the next 7 years.  With that said, Kong did well in a March spot 2 years ago.   Better than Godzilla is doing in the Summer frame this year and it had better legs than Godzilla 2014.   I think Kong could be the boost this needs.  I also believe that's their thinking is they can repeat the success in March.   So I would keep the date for now.

I think King Kong in general is more of an American thing than Godzilla is, hence why people know who Kong is.

Godzilla generally is more for the Japanese audience.

5 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I think King Kong in general is more of an American thing than Godzilla is, hence why people know who Kong is.

Well they've gotten a crack at this 3 times now.  It makes money here but none of them really broke out.  I remember the 98 version and how critically panned it was back then but we all loved the Puffy remix, lol.   Adjusted that made 261 which is 40 Million more than the 2014 version.  So there is a fanbase there but yes Kong is much more known.  To put it in context, Peter Jackson's "Kong" did better than 2014 Godzilla.  And I said back then that "Skull Island" actually didn't do bad at all for that being a different style than Peter's.   Yes Godzilla is huge in Japan because they popularized it.  This film coming up will be the 4th American Godzilla Production coming up.   Also in fairness to King of Monsters, Competition was fierce this weekend and it still found enough to get a #1 audience out there though it lost 2 days to Aladdin.  

12 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

adjusted for inflation:

Godzilla 1998 - $261m

Godzilla 2014 - $217m

Godzilla kotm - $120m

King Kong original - unknown

King Kong 1976 - $222m

King Kong 2005 - $304m

Kong Skull Island - $170m

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

$10 says if Godzilla won in the movie they just filmed they will be doing some major reshoots very soon. 

I think we’re going to get a winner.... my gut feeling is Kong WILL win(not kill G).. but there IS a bigger bad that Kong can’t handle. Godzilla rises and self sacrifices himself(thermal nuclear explosion?) killing himself and the big bad.

Kong wins the battle... Godzilla has his last heroic moment though killing himself.

How would you guys feel about something like that?

4 minutes ago, Cookson said:

I think we’re going to get a winner.... my gut feeling is Kong WILL win(not kill G).. but there IS a bigger bad that Kong can’t handle. Godzilla rises and self sacrifices himself(thermal nuclear explosion?) killing himself and the big bad.

Kong wins the battle... Godzilla has his last heroic moment though killing himself.

How would you guys feel about something like that?

Oh please no. I know there will be a team up (as I said before, it’s inevitable), but hopefully Godzilla wins, villain (I guess MechaG in this case) nearly kills Godzilla but then Kong comes to the rescue. 

Why would they kill off Godzilla? Unless a baby is suddenly introduced out of nowhere just for plot convenience and either way, I prefer if this Godzilla was the last of his kind.  

4 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

Oh please no. I know there will be a team up (as I said before, it’s inevitable), but hopefully Godzilla wins, villain (I guess MechaG in this case) nearly kills Godzilla but then Kong comes to the rescue. 

Why would they kill off Godzilla? Unless a baby is suddenly introduced out of nowhere just for plot convenience and either way, I prefer if this Godzilla was the last of his kind.  

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

13 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

SDCC wouldve been the expected date for a teaser to drop.

I understand the decision to not have a SDCC panel tbh. None of the movies apart from Birds of Prey will actually be in the stage where they will normally be dropping a teaser or trailer. Joker trailer will be with IT2, WW84 is way too early for a teaser, Godzilla vs Kong is a bit too early, you don't want another case like KOTM where a teaser drops and then there is no follow-up for 6 months. 

Weirdly enough, I was actually wondering about the WB panel a couple of days ago in a discussion on Reddit. It really did not seem to me that any of their movies were in the right point in the marketing cycle to benefit from SDCC. A lot of people disagreed with me on Reddit, but I think studios are now of the idea that they want the marketing to come out based on timelines than because SDCC is near. SDCC worked out perfectly for Aquaman and can work for August and September releases, but beyond that it is too early for anything, especially in today's environment where attention spans are much shorter.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1