grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

The interesting thing is that Kaiju films are not that big at the box office in Japan anymore. They have become like Westerns in the US...everybody is familiar with the genre and it's conventions, but they don't buy tickets for them in large numbers anymore.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, Heat Vision said:

Shin Godzilla was terrifying though. As Godzilla should be. 

Ishiro Honda, after he retired, admitted he hated a lot of the later Godzilla movies,because Godzilla became silly,and the movies became kiddie shows.

This will be a juggernaut. Mark my words.

Not calling 200M OW or anything like that, but...... 150+ OW/350-370M DOM/1.05-1.1B WW seems like a good guess as of now. I know some people are thinking I'm overpredicting, but.... it's fucking Godzilla Vs. King Kong.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Not calling 200M OW or anything like that, but...... 150+ OW/350-370M DOM/1.05-1.1B WW seems like a good guess as of now. I know some people are thinking I'm overpredicting, but.... it's fucking Godzilla Vs. King Kong.

You are overpredicitng. The idea of Godzilla vs Kong does not give everybody orgasms.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The interesting thing is that Kaiju films are not that big at the box office in Japan anymore. They have become like Westerns in the US...everybody is familiar with the genre and it's conventions, but they don't buy tickets for them in large numbers anymore.

Shin Godzilla was an absolute beast at the Japan BO. It was the highest-grossing japanese live-action film there from 2016 and overall the 4th biggest Godzilla movie ever in admissions. So yeah, that statement is right for the Millenium Godzilla films up until Final Wars, but Shin was more than just a return to form.

3 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I so hope youre right. I mean, its kind of like Batman v Superman: Everyone knows these characters, the question remains how many casual moviegoers are going to give it a chance? Marketing has to be fantastic here to give it even a small chance at 1B Worldwide, which would be a totally ludicrous number for this type of movie.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I actually agree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

You are overpredicitng. The idea of Godzilla vs Kong does not give everybody orgasms.

Well, just you wait until we get to 2020. Godzilla '14 opened to nearly 100M, and it didn't do better due to the mixed wom (this applies to legs in particular). Skull Island opened and performed smaller DOM, but had strong legs against ridiculous competition nonetheless (and topped Godzilla's 500M+ WW as well). Godzilla 2 will probably be around on par w/Skull Island's numbers. From that angle, I can see where you're coming from.

However, if you don't think the GA will feel orgasmic about a movie featuring Godzilla and King Kong fighting each other, then I don't know what to tell you. It's a movie that appeals to literally everyone, of all ages, genders and races. It's not just a clash of two giant skyscraper-tall monsters: it's the clash of two film icons that everybody knows and loves. It's a lot more Batman V Superman (in terms of hype/importance) than Freddy Vs. Jason or Alien Vs. Predator, which both appealed to far more niche audiences. And yeah, it's not the 1st Godzilla Vs. King Kong movie, but no one who isn't a hardcore diehard of either creature has seen that movie anyway.

As a Godzilla fan, I'm actually more hyped for the second film than Godzilla vs. Kong. Besides introducing a greater number of iconic kaiju, I feel King Ghidorah is a much more formidable foe to Godzilla than Kong. I'm sure they will be forced to use some PIS to keep the fight fair in G vs. K. The only thing that would make me more excited is if Godzilla and Kong are forced to team-up against a greater kaiju like Destoroyah. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KP1025 said:

As a Godzilla fan, I'm actually more hyped for the second film than Godzilla vs. Kong. Besides introducing a greater number of iconic kaiju, I feel King Ghidorah is a much more formidable foe to Godzilla than Kong. I'm sure they will be forced to use some PIS to keep the fight fair in G vs. K. The only thing that would make me more excited is if Godzilla and Kong are forced to team-up against a greater kaiju like Destoroyah. 

I cant fucking wait for a good-looking CGI-Ghidorah. Has the potential to be the most impressive creature ever portrayed in a movie.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KP1025 said:

Tbh, that is true: as far as an actual fair fight goes, Ghidorah is a much bigger threat to Godzilla than King Kong ever was. The fact that they're unleashing not just Ghidorah, but Mothra and Rodan as well, does get me pretty excited for the sequel. It is giving me SERIOUS Destroy All Monsters vibes, which is aweeeeesome.

However, I am skeptical, because of Michael Dougherty. I haven't seen any of his films, but while Trick R Treat is usually well recieved, Krampus... wasn't. It also has the same writer as Godzilla '14 and Skull Island, which weren't exactly well written movies tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heat Vision said:

I bet we see Destoroyah in this movie. Godzilla and Kong team up to defeat him.

Nah. I don't want no team up to defeat some baddie. I want one of Kong or Godzilla to win. Filmmaker and studio should show some balls irrespective of fan backlash.

16 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Yeah, that’s not going to happen. He’s just saying that for hype. There will be a team up, they don’t want to alienate fans of one monster.

:hahaha::hahaha:

I would believe for once that this movie will not have clear cut winner cause of cliche writing of the actual confrontation that have plagued said VS movies instead of this "fans" will get alienated argument.

Who really are these fans ? Toho? Japan? The chinese audience backing the hero whose gonna vanquish the fabled Japanese Legend ?

Do the film makers actually cares who wins ? Maybe there's a more popular choice between the 2 guys depending on different people but calling them "fans" of a franchise in its infancy is a but far off