grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

The movie's practically finished. This is a VERY different situation than something like Fantastic Beasts. The studio pouring 50M or more into this again to change an ending or edit the film is just dumb. Release it, hope it does Skull Island #s and be done with it. 

After what happened with JL, I imagine WB aren't going to put extra money into GvK. Legendary probably will though

29 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Hahaha. Haven’t seen mulder, brainbug or jar post in week

they all seem nice posters. Glad some still posting :D

Yeah, really hope to see them again soon here as well. :)

7 hours ago, Avatree said:

The only people who believed "iconic" monsters will draw people are the delusional Godzilla Groupies, who funnily enough have all run away from this forum after their film flopped. No one in the real world thought that audiences know who Ghidorah and Mothra are.

I hope that wasnt intentional, but theres no need to sound mean-spirited about some members just because they arent posting here right now. 

Besides, nothing wrong/delusional with the line of thinking that "Godzilla & even more monsters" would gross more than "just Godzilla." People are free to speculate. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

I hope that wasnt intentional, but theres no need to sound mean-spirited about some members just because they arent posting here right now. 

Besides, nothing wrong/delusional with the line of thinking that "Godzilla & even more monsters" would gross more than "just Godzilla." People are free to speculate. 

Yeah, I think some people are high strung about this little tidbit. Whatever reason they may have, it is silly.

Some of us are sticking around. The nature of the box office fascinates me. Also, you won't see many of us going into threads about DCU or MCU films bashing superhero films, or Disney films, or the people who love them.

On another note, talking smack about box office numbers is pointless.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

It’s possible. But it’s also one of those cross-overs like Freddy v Jason and Alien v Predator where it’s about the dream matchup of Godzilla fighting King Kong

That's a dream for a small number of people. It won't register with the GA. This is going to perform like just another Godzilla or Kong movie, not some kind of two franchise crossover.

• ...wtf 1

5 minutes ago, doublejack said:

That's a dream for a small number of people. It won't register with the GA. This is going to perform like just another Godzilla or Kong movie, not some kind of two franchise crossover.

If it performs like Skull Island, I think WB/Legendary would be fine with that. 

(Couple Skull Island's gross with the KOTM grosses of Japan & SE Asian territories and it would look even better)

Id also contend that Freddy vs Jason was a dream for an even smaller number of people than GvsK, and that grossed a lot more than the Freddy/Jason individual entries. Would be interesting to see if GvsK would have a similar pull.

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Where are the Godzilla fans on this site. All of them disappeared lol

No they didn't. Just what is left to say. 😛 We liked it and it isn't doing great business.

No reason to get into with some people.  We just want to see another good movie in GvK :)

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 5

KOTM is fucking great, I can only think of Godzilla 14 leaving a bad taste in peoples' mouths and the usual trend of sequels in franchises decreasing on the second film as the reasons why it's underperforming. Aladdin is strong competition too. GvK should be different though.

5 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

KOTM is fucking great, I can only think of Godzilla 14 leaving a bad taste in peoples' mouths and the usual trend of sequels in franchises decreasing on the second film as the reasons why it's underperforming. Aladdin is strong competition too. GvK should be different though.

KOTM is good film  ... GD-2014 bad taste & Aladdin performance hurting KOTM box office performance ..  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, Avatree said:

They all said they're leaving the forum for a while because Godzilla bombing made them depressed.

I don’t know why they set themselves up for disappointment. The writing was on the wall about how Godzilla 2 was going to do after the reception to Godzilla 14

5 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I don’t know why they set themselves up for disappointment. The writing was on the wall about how Godzilla 2 was going to do after the reception to Godzilla 14

It went without saying that the film wouldn’t be able to match the domestic gross of its predecessor, but not many were expecting it to have trouble cracking $100 million. 

On the plus side, it looks like people are no longer freaking out about Shazam! and Detective Pikachu not doing gangbusters. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

The usual trend of sequels in popular franchises dropping 50% from the previous entry?

Is that usual?

9 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Getting the same tired excuses why G14 didn't do great. The most annoying one is "competition." If these films were better that would help stave off competition.

I think most (if not all) of us here put forth WOM as the main reason for G14's weekend drops.

If you look around the fandom as a whole, a good number were already aware of G14's reception among the GA as having the biggest effect on performance, and that awareness can only go up in the wake of KOTM. 

imo GVK will at least do,

140 Dom + 200 Ch + 35 Jp + 150 OS-Ch-Jp = 525 WW

which gives theatrical returns of,

140*0.55 + 200*0.25+ 185*0.40 = 201

That 525 WW is less than GZ14 (529) and KSI (566). So as an underperformer it's looking at matching it's prod budget (guessing 200) theatrically.

4 hours ago, a2k said:

imo GVK will at least do,

140 Dom + 200 Ch + 35 Jp + 150 OS-Ch-Jp = 525 WW

which gives theatrical returns of,

140*0.55 + 200*0.25+ 185*0.40 = 201

That 525 WW is less than GZ14 (529) and KSI (566). So as an underperformer it's looking at matching it's prod budget (guessing 200) theatrically.

Yeah that's minimum GvK can do ... release date is also fine March month ...

20 minutes ago, Grand Moff said:

Is it possible that Kaiju movies were just never that popular?

I think its possible.

Looks like theres a B.O. ceiling to giant monster movies, but ofc I cant help but wonder what if G14 maintained its $93M OW and delivered in a way the GA majority wouldve wanted.

WOM & legs could have been very impressive. 

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 2