grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

1 hour ago, kaijukurt said:

I think its possible.

Looks like theres a B.O. ceiling to giant monster movies, but ofc I cant help but wonder what if G14 maintained its $93M OW and delivered in a way the GA majority wouldve wanted.

WOM & legs could have been very impressive. 

I'm coming to that realization myself. I loved the original Toho Godzilla flicks as a kid. But there's only so much you can do with a giant monster, other than have him fight other giant monsters. We got that in spades in G:KOTM, and it's still struggling at the BO. I figure Godzilla vs. Kong will be the absolute ceiling for this series: Once the two most popular Giant Monsters of all time go at it, what's left? GvK 2?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Harris said:

I'm coming to that realization myself. I loved the original Toho Godzilla flicks as a kid. But there's only so much you can do with a giant monster, other than have him fight other giant monsters. We got that in spades in G:KOTM, and it's still struggling at the BO. I figure Godzilla vs. Kong will be the absolute ceiling for this series: Once the two most popular Giant Monsters of all time go at it, what's left? GvK 2?

^This.

Given that the Godzilla film with the most tickets ever sold in Japan is still King Kong vs Godzilla by far (IIRC), I cant imagine any other Godzilla film doing better than that. 

11 hours ago, John Harris said:

A "Gorgo" remake.......

• Astonished 1

On 6/11/2019 at 1:17 AM, Bishop54 said:

Getting the same tired excuses why G14 didn't do great. The most annoying one is "competition." If these films were better that would help stave off competition.

KOTM is superior to G14 and is fantastic. 

And yes, there's a ceiling, G14 and Kong: SKU both between 500 and 600M. GvK will probably pass Kong: SKU but that will be the highest it goes. I'm so thankful those films exist, and Legendary and WB sharing budget (with Legendary footing most of the bill) is a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, mtom90 said:

Give back the rights to Marvel :D 

I recently reread the trade paperback edition of the Marvel Godzilla series, and having The Big G interact with the heros in the Marvel Universe was a lot of fun. The series never really took itself that seriuously.

And I love the final issue, on the cover said "Featuing the Most Gratitious, Unessescary Spider Man Guest Apparence Ever".

• Haha 1

Godzilla is one of the few amphibian monsters. It's life under water hasn't been exploited at all. The water scenes are about it coming out or swimming for dramatic effect but spending enough time under water with the monster would be a refreshing take. Aquatic monsters like Megalodon can also be added to the mix for a monster vs monster storyline.

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebirah,_Horror_of_the_Deep

There's enough mileage in MonsterVerse to last a long time imo. How F&F franchise seem dead till it was brought back to life with a new style and now seems endless.

2 hours ago, a2k said:

Godzilla is one of the few amphibian monsters. It's life under water hasn't been exploited at all. The water scenes are about it coming out or swimming for dramatic effect but spending enough time under water with the monster would be a refreshing take. Aquatic monsters like Megalodon can also be added to the mix for a monster vs monster storyline.

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebirah,_Horror_of_the_Deep

There's enough mileage in MonsterVerse to last a long time imo. How F&F franchise seem dead till it was brought back to life with a new style and now seems endless.

Water effects are too expensive

On 6/12/2019 at 5:30 AM, a2k said:

imo GVK will at least do,

140 Dom + 200 Ch + 35 Jp + 150 OS-Ch-Jp = 525 WW

which gives theatrical returns of,

140*0.55 + 200*0.25+ 185*0.40 = 201

That 525 WW is less than GZ14 (529) and KSI (566). So as an underperformer it's looking at matching it's prod budget (guessing 200) theatrically.

Yeah, am sure WB would be happy if they got in revenue the production budget, good thing marketing is free right.

I went on a one-man campaign to have Legendary Pictures do Thor 3 😂. It was because this dev house is a phantasy/sci fi fan's dream 😂! They are CGI friendly! 

Marvel will unleash the CGI aces on the big Avengers productions, every three years, but they take vacations on the solo films in between...

The CGI in the solo films is kept to post production backgrounds and inanimate objects (spaceships). The characters themselves are mostly kept to costumed people in makeup. Any character from the comics that took too much CGI to produce, was either side stepped, or reduced to costumed people. You know, things you'd normally expect from a tv or straight to cable budgeted production. You're wondering, where is this guy or that guy?

As a result, we have a Thor trilogy with no sign of the Midgard Serpent, Ulik, Mangog, etc, and were not the epic films they could have been. The last movie, and they bring in the CGI guys to do Surtur...

Iron Man and Cap were Feige's darlings. He could never figure out that though he could keep THOSE two franchises grounded to makeup and costumes, a Thor film is another animal entirely! Thor would be a fantasy/sci-fi film, in which CGI beings are a MUST!

Anyway, Legendary is the opposite of Marvel 🙂. They will put any monster, beast, mutant and creature on that screen 😂. If they'd have gotten a hold on the Thor franchise from.the start...

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 1

Well ya take half a decade, and let audiences think about not seeing Godzilla, in the Godzilla film in 2014...the ship has already sailed. KOTM is actually a good movie, so maybe they have awoken the audience from their long, 5-year slumber. Maybe Godzilla vs Kong does decent numbers.

4 minutes ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

Well ya take half a decade, and let audiences think about not seeing Godzilla, in the Godzilla film in 2014...the ship has already sailed. KOTM is actually a good movie, so maybe they have awoken the audience from their long, 5-year slumber. Maybe Godzilla vs Kong does decent numbers.

Yeah, if this movie is a success, it's not going to make fantastic numbers. It will just make enough to generate a decent profit.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

December 2020 remains safe (for now). Dune pushed to there?

I don't think this means anything for its future date... the films that are most likely to move into the massive hole this move would create (In the Heights or Scoob) are still filming right now.  They're not going to shuffle dates without knowing that the new film will be ready at the earlier release date.