grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

This a mid May 2021 movie. It's obvious WB don't think things will get better by mid next year and i think they are unfortunately right. Europe will be in bad shape. The Astra Zeneca vaccine will most likely don't get approved and Europe needs it the most

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1

Damn. Just when I was starting to be more hopeful about the future of cinemas. 

Edit: To be clear, I’m definitely not saying this would’ve done gangbusters, but movie theaters are going to need whatever they can get at this point. 

Edited by WittyUsername

42 minutes ago, TMP said:

AT&T should just fold WB at this point and go all-in on a failing, domestic-only streaming service

There's something truly astonishing that Mickey's Law applies even to the streaming wars. Beautiful, no?

Spoiler

Yes I know that Peacock is doing fineish. Please don't yell at me lol

The underperformance of Godzilla: King of the Monsters is probably making this an easier decision to make than it was for the other would-be blockbusters that have gone this route, but still disappointing that another major tentpole made for theatrical distribution is now looking to join the growing pile of titles that won't have the chance to be seen the way they were intended.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The underperformance of Godzilla: King of the Monsters is probably making this an easier decision to make than it was for the other would-be blockbusters that have gone this route, but still disappointing that another major tentpole made for theatrical distribution is now looking to join the growing pile of titles that won't have the chance to be seen the way they were intended.

This will probably release the same way they’re doing ww84, where it can open theatrically it will and in the US it will open in whatever theatres are open and on hbomax. 

Yes, i guess i can see the decision making some sense for this if they get 200M from netflix. It doesn't make sense they are dumping it on HBO Max.

I still don't understand WW84 going to streaming. The first one was successful and so beloved, so the sequel would have done good business.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Yes, i guess i can see the decision making some sense for this if they get 200M from netflix. It doesn't make sense they are dumping it on HBO Max.

I still don't understand WW84 going to streaming. The first one was successful and so beloved, so the sequel would have done good business.

I highly doubt WB who just started up hbomax is gonna allow this to go to another streamer. 

And While I don’t agree with the decision to release ww84 on max either they’re obviously just looking at a way to bump up subs cause of the rocky launch on max. 

21 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I highly doubt WB who just started up hbomax is gonna allow this to go to another streamer. 

And While I don’t agree with the decision to release ww84 on max either they’re obviously just looking at a way to bump up subs cause of the rocky launch on max. 

Difference is they only own a small stake (25% according to the trades) in GvK (which is made by Legendary Pictures) compared to WW84 which they own the majority of so makes this film a much more expensive proposition.  

For WW84 they just had to essentially pay out profit participants with the rest of the cost being paid to themselves. 

Also WW84 is a much bigger title and should draw a big group of new subs/MAX activations with every big film that becomes less and less and I don’t know if you could call GvK a big film. 

Edited by Jamiem

17 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Difference is they only own a small stake (25% according to the trades) in GvK (which is made by Legendary Pictures) compared to WW84 which they own the majority of so makes this film a much more expensive proposition.  

For WW84 they just had to essentially pay out profit participants with the rest of the cost being paid to themselves. 

Also WW84 is a much bigger title and should draw a big group of new subs/MAX activations with every big film that becomes less and less and I don’t know if you could call GvK a big film. 

Oh I know all of that, I just mean cause they’re(wb) involved with the movie I would assume they’ll just wanna put it on hbomax rather then allow them to sell it Netflix, and while it may not be ww84 it’s still a decent size blockbuster that can attract some fans. Obviously if Netflix offers some huge amount after that 200m then it could for sure end up on there.