grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I don't know. This one seems to take itself way less seriously (the trailer itself has some hilarious generic B-movie song playing in the background instead of Claire De Lune or something) and doesn't look like a maligned attempt at both attempting to go for what Edwards did in the first Godzilla films and a Heisei-era Godzilla film. Also I guess helps that this movie is like 30 minutes shorter than KOTM.

Edit: You are right about KOTM wasting the talented cast too. Completely forgot Sally Hawkins was even in that movie.

That’s true to be fair to it, the monster action at least seems to be leaning more into the silly fun side of things, and the fact that it’s in daylight and considerably more colourful than the godawful blue/red/green saturation of everything in KOTM is already a plus for the cinematography. The human stuff looks to be along the same po-faced lines of what I hated about KOTM though unfortunately.

It’s definitely a “wait for reviews” for me though.

Oh I’m relaxed! Stoked for this film, and if we’re talking about the business side of things, this film will most likely have everything to itself for 2-3 clean months. 

China is producing big box office numbers still and this will probably do some big business there easily out grossing  WB84 globally. That plus WB/HBOMax most definitely gave Legendary a healthy amount of money. This will easily be the biggest profit film of the Monsterverse so far. 

Edited by Cookson

50 minutes ago, kaijukurt said:

I know trends don't mean much, but this could still be interesting.

140594580_1763119917179342_5842306768788

Maybe its because we've not had new reveal trailers from franchise movies in nearly a year now - but why is this guy acting like trailers for blockbuster films trending online is out of the ordinary?

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Oh I’m relaxed! Stoked for this film, and if we’re talking about the business side of things, this film will most likely have everything to itself for 2-3 clean months. 

China is producing big box office numbers still and this will probably do some big business there easily out grossing  WB84 globally. That plus WB/HBOMax most definitely gave Legendary a healthy amount of money. This will easily be the biggest profit film of the Monsterverse so far. 

It’s likely to beat WW84 globally, but I wouldn’t bet on it beating Godzilla (2014) which made $524 million, and I wouldn’t even bet on it beating KOTM’s $386 million to be honest . It’ll do well in places like China (assuming piracy doesn’t sink it with HBO Max providing a perfect HD copy to pirates on day one), but the US box office takings will likely be less than WW84. I’d bet on $200-300 million worldwide if it’s lucky and Asia manages to carry it.

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

Maybe its because we've not had new reveal trailers from franchise movies in nearly a year now but why is this guy acting like trailers for blockbuster films trending online is out of the ordinary?

I don’t think that’s it, I just think people are really excited for this movie. And blockbuster trailers definitely don’t always trend this fast or move to number one that fast beside marvel movies. 

I’m not saying it means much and I’m sure people are just generally excited for a new trailer but I’m pretty surprised to see how quickly this trended etc

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It’s likely to beat WW84 globally, but I wouldn’t bet on it beating Godzilla (2014) which made $524 million, and I wouldn’t even bet on it beating KOTM’s $386 million to be honest . It’ll do well in places like China (assuming piracy doesn’t sink it with HBO Max providing a perfect HD copy to pirates on day one), but the US box office takings will likely be less than WW84. I’d bet on $200-300 million worldwide if it’s lucky and Asia manages to carry it.

Piracy shouldn’t really be a discussion anymore after Soul had a reasonable box office run in China even after being on Disney+.  Worldwide box office will be very dependent on the Asian markets. 

Edited by cax16

looks fun. Hope they remember why people would want to see it, lots of fights between the title characters

In a normal year it would probably make about 130m domestic and 400m worldwide. Interesting that if a movie like this came out in 2005 or so it likely would have been megahyped and been a huge but these days it's just kind of blends in with everything else

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Then why did WB/Legendary/whoever keep burying this thing or kicking it down the road?  Something doesn't add up, as usual...

It may be the best monsterverse movie compared to the other ones but that doesn't make it a great movie on its own merits. Just like how Bumblebee was arguably the best live-action transformers movie but I saw a lot of people saying it's a fairly average movie with a bit too many cliches. 

In a normal year I don't think this movie would have done too well anyway. Current hype aside, I don't know how much the average domestic viewer cares about Kong and Godzilla fighting each other but I could be wrong.

KING OF ALL MONSTERS had tons of cool idea with the monsters and Monarch on paper. The biggest problem, by a mile, was the insanely lame family subplot w/ the evil woman turning bad to wake up the monsters. Good lord how was that not caught at the script stage?

• Like 1