grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

41 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

Sounds like critical response will be tepid at best but reviews weren't strong for KOTM either and I loved that film.

I don't think they are tepid, in fact it is quite solid so far although we know early reaction tend to be more positive but I didn't remember KoTM have this similar solid reception at first.

Reactions are solid, but looks like it have the same problem all the other movies have, average / boring humans development.

But i think KoTM face really bad reviews because it's too long and it didn't deliver action the way people expect, everything is dark and a little confusing.

With GvK people are claiming the fights and action sequences are exceptional. So i hope reviews will be more close to Kong movie than KoTM, not great but not bad either.

Edited by ThomasNicole

Honestly, not feeling it anymore (that Snyder cut really made me really revaluate my thoughts about these blockbusters lol). Might just watch Nobody in cinemas this weekend and watch this at home next week.

Also, people expecting a good human story in a Godzilla film like they do with the Kong films makes no sense. I don't there's actually ever been a decent human subplot in a Godzilla movie after the 1954 one. At least some of them are fun since they get pretty weird, but they're rarely ever good.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 6:17 PM, Borobudur said:

GvK is by far the most buzzed movie since pandemic era, easily carrying more buzz than ww84 or tenet leading up to its release. I have been seeing its meme post or trailer or poster across social media.

Lol, no.

Not saying Tenet was particularly good, but it was a Nolan movie + the first big pandemic theatrical release. The buzz was incomparable.

12 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Lol, no.

Not saying Tenet was particularly good, but it was a Nolan movie + the first big pandemic theatrical release. The buzz was incomparable.

GvK is buzz is much much stronger than TENET. Europe TENET ahead I suppose, that's just not Monster verse market.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

This will mostly be most watched WB trailer on You Tube. Not that, that is a scientific proof of buzz but definitely something. It currently has 71M views on main channel, shall easily go above 100M post release. India WB channels has 16M views in 4 languages, making it most watched WB trailer.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

GvK is buzz is much much stronger than TENET. Europe TENET ahead I suppose, that's just not Monster verse market.

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I liked Tenet than most people but it's buzz definitely was lower than GvK's atm.

Unless we have totally different definitions of 'buzz' (I'm starting to think we are), you guys are insane. People were massively hyped for Tenet, as they would be with any Nolan movie, and the entire industry was using it to gauge cinema's future for the pandemic. It also had a shit-ton more advertising.

Again, I'm not saying it was a good movie. And really it doesn't matter, because we'll have no way of comparing how GvsK actually did at the end of the day.

Edited by Hatebox

Just now, Hatebox said:

Unless we have totally different definitions of 'buzz' (I'm starting to think we are), you guys are insane. People were massively hyped for Tenet, as they would be with any Nolan movie, and the entire industry was using it to gauge cinema's future for the pandemic. It also shit-ton more advertising.

Again, I'm not saying it was a good movie, but I guarantee more people knew about Tenet's release than this.

GvK trailer is the most successful trailer since Endgame. I see no evidence that Tenet had more buzz. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

People were massively hyped for Tenet, as they would be with any Nolan movie, and the entire industry was using it to gauge cinema's future for the pandemic. It also had a shit-ton more advertising.

People show their excitement by their wallet. GvK is murdering TENET pre-sales in USA and China.

• Like 3

I literally can’t think of a single qualitative metric to suggest more buzz for Tenet.   

Probably because it’s not true, or even particularly close.  

Personally my hype for each (as a consumer) was/is 0, but the numbers are telling a clear story.

Edited by WandaLegion
  • Like 1

Tenet and Wonder Woman 1984 began their marketing campaigns well before COVID happened and continued to be promoted throughout the worst of the pandemic like they were about to come out but ended up constantly pushed back. Promo for this started...just two months ago. Helps that this is the first major title to be released since the world changed that feels like a "new" movie due to its marketing starting so late compared to other delayed tentpoles. The studio will likely still lose money on this in the current landscape, but there's also probably no chance it'll be anywhere as big of a write-off for them as those two ended up being (and were likely always going to be due to marketing budgets that grew to the point where profitability on them was going to be a hurdle no matter when they eventually released).

I've been off of this forum for a while...why are you guys still evaluating any numbers as if they matter? Whether it's Tenet, WW1984, or Godzilla v Kong...it's impossible to gauge success or WOM with all things considered. Godzilla v Kong is another simultaneous release, therefore what it makes in theaters is in no way an arbiter of...well, anything. Tenet and Croods 2 are the biggest pandemic "successes," and it'll likely stay that way until something like Black Widow comes along with no streaming option and takes that risk. 

Edited by tonytr87

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=%2Fg%2F11h193b_c5,%2Fg%2F11fd7dbn8v (that exclude important place like China), but GvK pre-release google trend numbers are in a completely different tier than Tenet it look to me.

Tenet had a very hard release with many push, date change, with no market and was a movie that could have an hard time to make close to a 500-600m Kong movies.