grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

In normalcy TENET would have done Interstellar numbers for sure. 

So significantly more than the biggest Kong movie for sure ?

652m is a lot for a movie with a 70% RT score and 76% audience score (could just be that it got harder for the Nolan online gang to boost the score on RT), but IMDB scoring difference is similar as well.

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

So significantly more than the biggest Kong movie for sure ?

652m is a lot for a movie with a 70% RT score and 76% audience score (could just be that it got harder for the Nolan online gang to boost the score on RT), but IMDB scoring difference is similar as well.

IDK about that, but in Europe, Canada and Australia, TENET did close to or more than Interstellar numbers. 

26 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

IDK about that, but in Europe, Canada and Australia, TENET did close to or more than Interstellar numbers. 

Japan as well was much bigger. But that was with 0 competition going on.

China, South Korea are big markets to get vastly behind. Around 75% of the Intl difference from those 2 I think.

Edited by Barnack

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

China, South Korea are big markets to get vastly behind. Around 75% of the Intl difference from those 2 I think

Yeah. Korea was hit by COVID 2nd wave badly.

The two best Interstellar markets did worst for TENET. TENET already did like $365M, I think DOM it could have done $125M more in normalcy, probably $100-150M more in OS. 

• Like 1

Sources are seeing GVK’s full international weekend range starting at about $70M with room to grow if China shines. This is the first major Hollywood popcorn title to hit turnstiles in several months and should it land anywhere above Tenet’s $53M international box office start, it would mark the biggest offshore debut for a studio movie in the pandemic era.

In China, where Legendary is handling the release, we are hearing projections of $50M on the low end with more bullish estimates reaching to $70M+.

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 1

Seen this earlier today...my 1st movie in theatres post Covid..

As a fan of monster universe, i thought it was good not great.  Godzilla & Kong confrontation scenes came out well, especially the helicarrier one.

Cinematography in the hollow earth scenes was terrific. I thought the movie was inconsistent in representing Kong's Size.

In scenes with Godzilla he is as tall as him...in other scenes felt they somehow toned down...its simply not upto scale..

Skull Island > GvK = KOTM  > Godzilla

• Like 2

On 3/23/2021 at 12:53 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

In normalcy TENET would have done Interstellar numbers for sure. 

I doubt it, interstellar WOM is certainly far superior to Tenet, Interstellar was much better received by the public, Tenet is much more divisive.

Tenet still put up an "incredible for Covid era" WW total of $363.129M, with China only repping $66M of it.  It was #5 on the year, with the only movies beating it Bad Boys 3 (released before Covid), 2 Chinese-focused releases, and 1 Japanese-focused release - aka Covid era releases in the only real area of the world that delivered any box office in 2020.

To this day, WB has to be happy with the release, and now the secondary revenue markets that being the biggest DOM/European box office release has to have brought them...

If GvK can repeat the $363.129M WW, replacing European numbers for higher Asian and DOM BO, WB will be over the moon happy again...

Edited by TwoMisfits

On 3/23/2021 at 8:14 AM, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Rewatch the first Godzilla still enjoy how it's a slow build and Gareth Edwards knows scale. Human plot is throw away but I still preferred it over KOTM which was much more a slog than I remembered it being. A shame that the human characters they transferred to GvK were from KOTM.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed the first Godzilla for the most part. Sure the human stuff was throw away but it was still interesting enough. KOTM had better action but the human stuff was painfully bad and I actually struggled to stay awake. My favorite of the bunch though was Kong: Skull Island. Hopefully GvK is more like that, I'm a little concerned with MBB being in the movie again though because her character was annoying.

Edited by poweranimals

17 minutes ago, Menor said:

What's the usual ratings count for the number to stabilize?

actually this is very unusual, as 75% box office is from South India, as compared to usual 30%, so the ratings are dominated by a very different demo this time. Just that reports are positive is only conclusion to make.