grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

On 3/29/2021 at 6:56 PM, Lucas said:

Your entire point hangs on the idea that critics "review bombing a movie" is actually happening with on RT, which it isn't.

I should've said "american critics", not every single RT critic of course. European critics are much much better, but RT is mostly american, that's why we even have this discussion. And "review bombing" did happen with Joker which has higher average rating than percentage because it was trashed mostly by american critics on the ideological/political ground, but got glowing reviews literally everwhere else. Or the exact opposite example with Mulan 2020 which was a piece of shit movie and propaganda piece, trashed by most people everywhere, but got really good reviews from... american critics, of course.

while we literally know for a fact that it's happening with users on IMDb.

And it doesn't affect its final rating, unlike RT, because hundres of thousands people vote there instead of just hundreds, as I already said multiple times.

I also enjoy the idea that IMDb is better because the random Joes around the world have different backgrounds when just yesterday you said just about anyone can become an RT certified critic these days because of their recent expansions. These being expansions that were made to include people from different backgrounds.

Lol no, it has nothing to do with including people from different backgrounds, otherwise they would've included a lot more foreign critics around the world to balance things. Sites like Mediaversity, part of those expansions, are not different from critic groups that were there before. And again, about "letting anyone in", critics should be different from average Joes, they should be more educated about movies and the industry to be considered "movie critics", if it even means anything anymore. if they are not different from average Joes, there's absolutely no point in their existence.

but what you want are for all critics to think exactly like you do.

I want critics to not be a bunch of crazy cultists. I can disagree or disagree completely, I just want to see arguments that make sense and related to quality of a movie itself. I don't have this issue with many foreign critics because they are not part of this crazy cultist bubble.

Nothing about this makes any sense.

Agree, nothing about your arguments makes any sense ;)

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Are critics watching this film in cinema? If so, the viewing experience should be way more solid than in home. And probably explain the more favourable review

Most are still watching via home screeners, often with studio watermarks. Frankly, that would explain their curmudgeonly attitude towards many great movies this year. There's no way watching on your computer with studio watermarks doesn't affect your ability to enjoy it. 

On 3/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, SnokesLegs said:

Got to admit, I never really felt shortchanged by the actual Godzilla stuff in the 2014 film, I know a lot of people didn’t like the way it hid him for the majority of the film but I didn’t bump into that at all, it built the anticipation perfectly so that when he did finally turn up in all his glory it has the impact it deserved. Compared to the CGI overkill that we got with KOTM I’d take the Gareth Evans approach any day. It had a sense of grandeur to it, whereas KOTM just lost all of that and opted for being a big, dumb, loud headache of a film.

The opening 20 minutes with Bryan Cranston was fantastic, the emotion that he brought to it really elevated it and as others have said, if they’d kept him around and had him be the co star with Aaron Taylor Johnson it’d have been a far better film overall. As it was, ATJ just felt like a stock character with a generic storyline that didn’t feel consequential at all.

I would've much preferred this tone for the franchise. Skull Island was pure cheese (not my thing) and while Dougherty kinda sorta tried to imitate Edwards, he did a piss poor job of it. 

• Like 1

The fights lived up to the hype imo and the human characters weren't as annoying as King of the Monsters. The CGI looked awesome and there were some great shots. The OST however is a major letdown compared with KOTM, they never use the full Godzilla theme sadly either. 

• Like 3

This was mediocre. My least favourite film of the franchise. Closer to a Kong sequel featuring Godzilla, which would not be as big of a deal if this wasn't so divorced tonally from 2014 and KOTM (which had its flaws but at least stuck close to Edwards' vision). I enjoyed the B-movie sci-fi vibes for a bit I guess but just wasn't feeling it for most of it. And although the movie did look nice at least, a complete dissapointment in the sound area (from Holkenberg's mediocre score that feels like a mish-mash of his past stuff to the actual sound design and mixing which is nowhere near as impactful as the 2014 film or KOTM).

Spoiler

But the redo of this was funny tho

gvpz_kingkong1.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • ...wtf 1

On 3/30/2021 at 4:06 PM, Firepower said:

I should've said "american critics", not every single RT critic of course. European critics are much much better, but RT is mostly american, that's why we even have this discussion. And "review bombing" did happen with Joker which has higher average rating than percentage because it was trashed mostly by american critics on the ideological/political ground, but got glowing reviews literally everwhere else. Or the exact opposite example with Mulan 2020 which was a piece of shit movie and propaganda piece, trashed by most people everywhere, but got really good reviews from... american critics, of course.

And it doesn't affect its final rating, unlike RT, because hundres of thousands people vote there instead of just hundreds, as I already said multiple times.

Lol no, it has nothing to do with including people from different backgrounds, otherwise they would've included a lot more foreign critics around the world to balance things. Sites like Mediaversity, part of those expansions, are not different from critic groups that were there before. And again, about "letting anyone in", critics should be different from average Joes, they should be more educated about movies and the industry to be considered "movie critics", if it even means anything anymore. if they are not different from average Joes, there's absolutely no point in their existence.

I want critics to not be a bunch of crazy cultists. I can disagree or disagree completely, I just want to see arguments that make sense and related to quality of a movie itself. I don't have this issue with many foreign critics because they are not part of this crazy cultist bubble.

Agree, nothing about your arguments makes any sense ;)

I used to think this sort of talk re: critics was bullshit.

Then I became one, steeped myself in that world via Film Twitter and working for certain websites and...it's not that they're a cabal conspiring to do this or that.

But they ARE a group of like-minded people who can sometimes succumb to the hive mind groupthink that happens on Film Twitter. They want their likes, they want their followers just like anyone else. They're not immune to the pressures of social media, and frankly, as much as I'm a progressive myself, they're way too concerned with either following whatever the progressive bent is about a movie or even trying to predict what the reaction might be from their puritanical followers. 

If you've seen Malcolm & Marie...John David Washington's rant about them is occasionally on the money. They didn't use to be this way, but social media has warped all of our brains and habits in ways we haven't even begun to comprehend. Film critics are not immune. 

It's also entirely believable that home viewing is affecting their judgement when it comes to things like the Snyder Cut or even more artistic endeavors like Cherry (it's a small film, but one that's very operatic and meant to be seen on a big screen) or the aforementioned Malcolm & Marie. 

My apologies if this is continuing the off-topic spiral here, but it needed to be said. 

Edited by tonytr87

On 3/30/2021 at 5:29 PM, Eric #TeamKong said:

Moderation

Okay we're done here. We had our fun, but this inane critics discussion has come to an end. Cut your schtick, or I'm cutting you out of this thread

Moderation

Don't make me tap the sign.

• Haha 1

This was fun. The plot/characters are extremely streamlined, so much so that you could basically now take a handful of particular people out and the movie as a whole would not notice. You can tell there were some subplots and character beats that got ripped out entirely.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1