Jump to content
grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | May 21 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Godzilla vs Kong is a bit too early, you don't want another case like KOTM where a teaser drops and then there is no follow-up for 6 months. 

 

SDCC worked out perfectly for Aquaman and can work for August and September releases, but beyond that it is too early for anything, especially in today's environment where attention spans are much shorter.

 

I actually wonder if the decision to release the well-received Claire De Lune teaser for Godzilla 2 around 10 months from release wasnt that good in hindsight when it came to building buzz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I understand the decision to not have a SDCC panel tbh. None of the movies apart from Birds of Prey will actually be in the stage where they will normally be dropping a teaser or trailer. Joker trailer will be with IT2, WW84 is way too early for a teaser, Godzilla vs Kong is a bit too early, you don't want another case like KOTM where a teaser drops and then there is no follow-up for 6 months. 

 

Weirdly enough, I was actually wondering about the WB panel a couple of days ago in a discussion on Reddit. It really did not seem to me that any of their movies were in the right point in the marketing cycle to benefit from SDCC. A lot of people disagreed with me on Reddit, but I think studios are now of the idea that they want the marketing to come out based on timelines than because SDCC is near. SDCC worked out perfectly for Aquaman and can work for August and September releases, but beyond that it is too early for anything, especially in today's environment where attention spans are much shorter.

Initially I was surprised that WB are pulling out and slightly disappointed because they have tended to release the footage they show online, often way earlier than expected. However, seeing how KOTM and Shazam couldn't maintain the early buzz their Comic-Con trailers generated due to the large gap between the convention and their eventual release, it's probably not a bad move. I could see a Joker trailer still coming out around that time though, having a second one premiere with IT2 would be a bit too close to the former's release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I understand the decision to not have a SDCC panel tbh. None of the movies apart from Birds of Prey will actually be in the stage where they will normally be dropping a teaser or trailer. Joker trailer will be with IT2, WW84 is way too early for a teaser, Godzilla vs Kong is a bit too early, you don't want another case like KOTM where a teaser drops and then there is no follow-up for 6 months. 

 

Weirdly enough, I was actually wondering about the WB panel a couple of days ago in a discussion on Reddit. It really did not seem to me that any of their movies were in the right point in the marketing cycle to benefit from SDCC. A lot of people disagreed with me on Reddit, but I think studios are now of the idea that they want the marketing to come out based on timelines than because SDCC is near. SDCC worked out perfectly for Aquaman and can work for August and September releases, but beyond that it is too early for anything, especially in today's environment where attention spans are much shorter.

WW84 was supposed to release this Nov when it went into production before it got delayed. they surely would have a lot of footage ready by July.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

WW84 was supposed to release this Nov when it went into production before it got delayed. they surely would have a lot of footage ready by July.. 

There's a difference between having the footage and being the right time to release it. They can release a teaser in July and then have complete silence till December and then again nothing till March which breaks momentum in today's environment. Instead, a teaser in November/December, first trailer in Feb/March and final trailer in May achieves the same marketing goal with smaller breaks to disrupt any momentum.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

There's a difference between having the footage and being the right time to release it. They can release a teaser in July and then have complete silence till December and then again nothing till March which breaks momentum in today's environment. Instead, a teaser in November/December, first trailer in Feb/March and final trailer in May achieves the same marketing goal with smaller breaks to disrupt any momentum.

it worked out pretty fine for Wonder Woman in 2 years ago (teaser in July and full trailer on Nov and then resume marketing in March),  I don't see why they won't do it again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

it worked out pretty fine for Wonder Woman in 2 years ago (teaser in July and full trailer on Nov and then resume marketing in March),  I don't see why they won't do it again. 

Because times have changed, its now about momentum than about having things timed to SDCC.  Marketing starts December officially, a 6 month promo campaign means constant flow of news keeping the movie in the conversation as opposed to lulls in between

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it will move.

 

 

 

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

 

As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Looks like it will move.

 

 

 

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

 

As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.

Smart move after audiences completely rejected Godzilla 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Looks like it will move.

 

 

 

 

WB streaming?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Looks like it will move.

 

 

 

https://deadline.com/2019/06/warner-studio-toby-emmerich-peter-roth-dc-netflix-godzilla-vs-kong-kevin-tsujihara-1202629538/

 

As far as franchise fatigue with Legendary’s Godzilla: King of the Monsters tanking, Emmerich said that next year’s monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong “will deliver for fans in the way they were looking for” in the latest Godzilla. “It might come out later in the year, so we can deliver an A+ movie” said Emmerich.

 

RESHOOTS FORTHCOMING!

 

:apocalypse:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Macleod said:

 

RESHOOTS FORTHCOMING!

 

:apocalypse:

No they're not. They're not gonna dump any more money into this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TMP said:

No they're not. They're not gonna dump any more money into this.

I'm half-kidding, you know...  😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Macleod said:

I'm half-kidding, you know...  😂

Hard to tell sometimes :apocalypse:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should cut their losses and sell it to Netflix. Otherwise this is going to be a huge bomb if released in theatres, audiences simply don't care about giant monsters anymore.

  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Bring back ATJ

He's busy on Tenet - a film that should make a lot of money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hunch said:

They should cut their losses and sell it to Netflix. Otherwise this is going to be a huge bomb if released in theatres, audiences simply don't care about giant monsters anymore.

100% agreed. If it does get released theatrically, GvK should not be released in the summer. The fans will come out to see it regardless of the month, and it will face less competition if it hits screens in the fall or post holidays in the winter.

  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They aren't going to sell it to Netflix. They may not even be able to depending on WB's contract with Toho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.