grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

29 minutes ago, Hunch said:

They should cut their losses and sell it to Netflix. Otherwise this is going to be a huge bomb if released in theatres, audiences simply don't care about giant monsters anymore.

so one flop and suddenly an entire genre is dead? Funny that. The Meg and Jurassic World did alright last year! Kong Skull Island did well, as did the previous godzilla.

If RAMPAGE can gross more than GODZILLA then don't you think maybe it's not that no one cares for the genre, but rather a problem with that individual film?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, doublejack said:

100% agreed. If it does get released theatrically, GvK should not be released in the summer. The fans will come out to see it regardless of the month, and it will face less competition if it hits screens in the fall or post holidays in the winter.

This. And also, I think its pretty clear the commerical value of Godzilla vs Kong is worth a theatrical release. Even though KoTM disappointed, itll still be around 375M to 400M worldwide. Its budget is the only thing that made it a disappointment, but you have to keep perspective. That amount of money is clearly not what you want from one of your prime tentpoles, but still more than enough to justify a theatrical release (and certainly way too much to surrender it to streaming)!

GvK clearly has more GA appeal (Kong himself is arguably more popular among GA), so lets see what happens. Also, as many have mentioned, the success of previous monster movies clearly shows audiences obsessions with kaiju hasnt dwindled, if anything theres been a mini resurgence in recent years. If anything, I think KoTM's disappointing results can be explained with three maybe four factors 1) lack of a marquee star (like Dwayne Johnson or the whole cast of KSI) 2) highly competitive release date 3) poor reviews scaring off GA 4) lack of GA appeal in Godzilla (the 14 and 98 films had the advantage of being seen as the "first" Godzilla movies ('98 being at the height of Roland Emmerich film popularity and '14 being the over hyped, big budget, modern treatment of the character). By comparison KoTM may have come across as inessential or redundant to most GA unfamiliar with the additional kaiju stars

In any case, the franchise clearly has promise, no denying that

• Like 2

Considering that this movie is already done filming, if it’s going to move, that would suggest that they’re going to be doing some expansive reshoots, and I don’t know if that’d be the best idea. This movie is looking like a gamble as is. Do they really want to pour more money into it? 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Considering that this movie is already done filming, if it’s going to move, that would suggest that they’re going to be doing some expansive reshoots, and I don’t know if that’d be the best idea. This movie is looking like a gamble as is. Do they really want to pour more money into it? 

if they believe that the current film will be badly received, and they believe it's fixable, then yes it can look worth it to spend more on major reshoots.

The thing with reshoots is pretty much every blockbuster film has reshoots of some description asnd they're pretty much never an indicator of the quality of the final product.

that word has really become a curse word on this board.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

if they believe that the current film will be badly received, and they believe it's fixable, then yes it can look worth it to spend more on major reshoots.

The thing with reshoots is pretty much every blockbuster film has reshoots of some description asnd they're pretty much never an indicator of the quality of the final product.

that word has really become a curse word on this board.

I know that virtually every big movie has reshoots (except for the stuff done by Chris Nolan, apparently), but generally speaking, when you do extensive reshoots for a film, that’s often not the best sign. It didn’t exactly work out for Fant4stic or Justice League. Sure, you could argue that those films were unsalvageable, but pouring more money into them didn’t do any favors. The only fairly recent example I can think of where a movie “benefitted” from extensive reshoots was Rogue One, and I personally thought that film was nothing more than boring fan service. 

re: the winner, 90% chance it basically ends up a tie (iirc the toho film basically makes it a tie) but if there had to be one it's for sure gonna be kong not godzilla even without monsters flopping. kong's always been a more sympathetic figure in western cinema at least.

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

except for the stuff done by Chris Nolan, apparently

His shoots are quite tight and he does a lot of pre-planning. Dunkirk only came in at $100m and looks incredible.

15 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I know that virtually every big movie has reshoots (except for the stuff done by Chris Nolan, apparently), but generally speaking, when you do extensive reshoots for a film, that’s often not the best sign. It didn’t exactly work out for Fant4stic or Justice League. Sure, you could argue that those films were unsalvageable, but pouring more money into them didn’t do any favors. The only fairly recent example I can think of where a movie “benefitted” from extensive reshoots was Rogue One, and I personally thought that film was nothing more than boring fan service. 

Justice League didn’t move its release date, so the reshoots were extremely rushed. In this case, they will move the date and possibly do reshoots. 

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

As I said before, if they had Godzilla outshining/beating Kong in this that 100% isn't gonna fly now and they will be doing reshoots. 

DP2 2nd weekend drop was 65% despite having inflated Mem Day Sunday. It soon stabilised and got a final multi of 2.55x excluding 2nd release. I hope KOTM can end up being respectable now on and cross 110m dom (2.30x) at least. Also hope that the 170 reported prod budget is accurate opposed to 185+ rumours.

Edited by a2k

31 minutes ago, a2k said:

DP2 2nd weekend drop was 65% despite having inflated Mem Day Sunday. It soon stabilised and got a final multi of 2.55x excluding 2nd release. I hope KOTM can end up being respectable now on and cross 110m dom (2.30x) at least. Also hope that the 170 reported prod budget is accurate opposed to 185+ rumours.

Let’s hope! I think losing imax screens will obviously hurt it. I think it’ll stabilize as you have predicted next weekend. Hopefully 110-120 is still obtainable. 

My prediction is Kong beats Godzilla... becoming “King Kong”. However he doesn’t kill Godzilla. King Kong roars, beats his chest! But now there’s  a bigger threat that arrives with Kong and other Titans getting destroyed by this new threat... Godzilla rises from his defeat to King Kong, beaten and battered,  observes the other Titans being manhandled by whatever. We get this emotional music starting to play as Godzilla walks(we’re seeing this from the POV of Zilla) towards the new threat. We see the threat killing some Titans. As Godzilla approaches he sacrifices himself to destroy the threat but save whatever Titans are still alive.

Could look pretty cool on screen.

Edited by Cookson

1 hour ago, Cookson said:

My prediction is Kong beats Godzilla... becoming “King Kong”. However he doesn’t kill Godzilla. King Kong roars, beats his chest! But now there’s  a bigger threat that arrives with Kong and other Titans getting destroyed by this new threat... Godzilla rises from his defeat to King Kong, beaten and battered,  observes the other Titans being manhandled by whatever. We get this emotional music starting to play as Godzilla walks(we’re seeing this from the POV of Zilla) towards the new threat. We see the threat killing some Titans. As Godzilla approaches he sacrifices himself to destroy the threat but save whatever Titans are still alive.

Could look pretty cool on screen.

Batman v Superman style. how fitting 

5 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

They aren't going to sell it to Netflix. They may not even be able to depending on WB's contract with Toho.

I imagine Legendary and Toho's distributing in China and Japan likely prevents it anyway. 

As we've seen with FB3, they will delay a release date if need be. I think August or December 2020 is more likely.