grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

I dont think GvK is a very comparable situation to that of Annihilation & Mowgli. 

Even with the downright disappointing BO of KOTM, its still on track for at least $350M...couple that with K:SI's $566M gross and Im sure WB/Legendary are banking on name value to pique audience interest. 

Given that behind-the-scenes clashes of Annihilation involved conflicts as to making it more GA-friendly & less "complicated"...at least whoevers behind GvK know theyre trying to make a GA-friendly, action-heavy blockbuster with loads of licensing opportunities in the mix. GA appeal is something both WB/Legendary suits would want for something like this.

Mowgli had its own issue of figuring out just who its intended audience was, as no matter its quality...BO comparisons to Disney's version would always pop up. 

Just my two cents. 

Edited by kaijukurt

EVERY franchise has a box office disappointment. You don’t just throw in the towel. Plus Legendary literally has nothing else(besides Pokémon now). KotM still has a shot at 400 WW.. disappointing but also nothing to sneeze at.

Like I said, KotM was a Godzilla fans dream that didn’t stick with the GA. I would say G14 was definitely more a GA friendly film(despite the flaws we’ve all heard).

GvsKong IS a novelty film. That alone will make it a success. They will have to find that balance to make it for the GA and fans. The Netflix stuff is dumb.. enough of that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cookson said:

EVERY franchise has a box office disappointment. You don’t just throw in the towel. Plus Legendary literally has nothing else(besides Pokémon now). KotM still has a shot at 400 WW.. disappointing but also nothing to sneeze at.

Like I said, KotM was a Godzilla fans dream that didn’t stick with the GA. I would say G14 was definitely more a GA friendly film(despite the flaws we’ve all heard).

GvsKong IS a novelty film. That alone will make it a success. They will have to find that balance to make it for the GA and fans. The Netflix stuff is dumb.. enough of that. 

Spot on ... GvK Might change the box office dimension of Monsterverse 

• Like 1

Skull Island worked because it was a popcorn adventure romp constricted to a survival scenario within a time and space unity.

The last two Godzilla movies are too meandering, the focus is loose. You feel the movie slumming it whenever Godzilla is not on-screen. Skull Island really scaled King Kong's presence better over the span of the movie. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Hope so. I think audiences want more of a rollicking adventure like Skull Island than what the two Godzilla flicks have been... Make that change and there's hope.

yeah Lets hope for the best ...

why would this not bomb? it has the same shitty cast that audience didn't care about first time around (where did MBB's 50M Instagram followers go? to see Aladdin?). It had supposedly iconic monsters that were money shot. Crickets from GA. Trailer had Moonlight Serenade. Music experts skipped it.

so why would addition of overused Kong (Skull Island didn't exactly set boxoffice on fire though it did better than really low expectations) suddenly improve the sequels chances? It won't. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • ...wtf 1

34 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

so why would addition of overused Kong (Skull Island didn't exactly set boxoffice on fire though it did better than really low expectations) suddenly improve the sequels chances? It won't. 

I don't think even the DC threads had this much BO pessimism after the debacle of JL.

Adam is no James Wan and i dont think if it can have the same jump of franchise low to 1 billion dollars but you guys completely lost any hope in this thread

44 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

why would this not bomb? it has the same shitty cast that audience didn't care about first time around (where did MBB's 50M Instagram followers go? to see Aladdin?). It had supposedly iconic monsters that were money shot. Crickets from GA. Trailer had Moonlight Serenade. Music experts skipped it.

Millie Bobby Brown is hardly some box office draw. Speaking just for myself I'd never heard of her before i saw the film last week. The only people who believed "iconic" monsters will draw people are the delusional Godzilla Groupies, who funnily enough have all run away from this forum after their film flopped. No one in the real world thought that audiences know who Ghidorah and Mothra are.

Skull Island did pretty well at the box office, if you're saying why would this do better than KOTM, well theres' your answer.

Edited by Avatree

14 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Millie Bobby Brown is hardly some box office draw. Speaking just for myself I'd never heard of her before i saw the film last week. The only people who believed "iconic" monsters will draw people are the delusional Godzilla Groupies, who funnily enough have all run away from this forum after their film flopped. No one in the real world thought that audiences know who Ghidorah and Mothra are.

Skull Island did pretty well at the box office, if you're saying why would this do better than KOTM, well theres' your answer.

:hahaha::bravo:

Ok, so audience likes Kong which is a plus, but doesn't care for Godzilla (and returning cast) which is a minus. so what prevails, plus or minus? :thinking:

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

WB need to sack Adam Wingard (why was this guy hired? Lol) and bring in either James Wan or Jordan Vogt Roberts to take over 

WB should not pour a single cent more into a DOA film.

• ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

:hahaha::bravo:

Ok, so audience likes Kong which is a plus, but doesn't care for Godzilla (and returning cast) which is a minus. so what prevails, plus or minus? :thinking:

Both cancel each other out. That's why i am expecting 

KvG to do slightly more than Kong skull island but less than Godzilla 2014 at domestic boxoffice. Worldwide, I see it doing less than Kong skull island, but matching the King Kong 2005 worldwide boxoffice if it gets solid reviews and moves to December 2020.