grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

On 3/19/2020 at 8:26 AM, Napoleon said:

Considering GvK is destined to bomb,

3 questions-

1. I'd like to know exactly where you and others on this site seem to get information that the movie will "bomb". We have no trailer and no marketing campaign has started yet so how can you come to such an absurd conclusion? The MonsterVerse as a whole is a billion dollar plus franchise with only 3 movies. 2 of the films made half a billion WW while the other film simply under performed. So you really expect me to believe that "Godzilla vs Kong" a movie featuring two cinematic icons  for the first time in nearly 60 years will bomb based on....what? Hasn't this same exact thing also been said for each of the other 3 movies too? 

2. I'd also like to ask why you and others on this site seem to have a hate boner for this film and franchise. The posts I have read on this topic seem to indicate that you guys are actively rooting for this film to fail. Why? Why would people on a website dedicated to movies actively root for a film to struggle at the box office? If you don't like it fine by why want it to fail? 

3. Does the box office even matter anymore? The movie is coming out regardless. The whole plan from the beginning from Legendary was to do an American Godzilla trilogy. They have done that. Everyone expected them to end at a trilogy anyways. No matter what this does at the box office the Godzilla franchise won't go away. These movies have already brought the franchise back to life. The movie industry is changing now especially due to current events. The rise of streaming has become a massive game changer. Plus this is Legendary's franchise not WB. Legendary and Toho will keep it going in some way shape or form be it through movies, streaming tv shows or whatever. GvK will also have merchandising too which will bring in more money. So factor in merchandising, home video/digital sales and streaming...the box office is just another fraction.

At the end of the day no matter what this does the Godzilla franchise isn't going away despite what folks on here seem to hope for.

Edited by MonsterZero
Add more
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not a hater, I don't want this movie to fail at all, I'm just giving my honest, unbiased opinion. I think the appeal of Godzilla to modern audiences is seeing him as a danger to humans, and that because the 2014 film was sold exactly as that that's why it had such a huge opening weekend - and because the film ended up being something different than that, that's why it got such a negative response. I also believe that's the reason why the sequel had such a disappointing performance, and why Godzilla v Kong has a significant chance of bombing as well.

That's just how I see it but I don't mean to get any fans upset, in this forum we usually have a more fun / tongue in cheek tone to our comments, and my choice of words may have made me sound like a hater. But if I'm wrong and the movie succeeds I would actually be very happy for the fans.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

and why Godzilla v Kong has a significant chance of bombing as well.

But again why do you say this without taking into consideration “Kong: Skull Island” did nearly $600 million WW, this movie has BOTH Godzilla and Kong going head to head which is what audiences want with a movie like this and that we have yet to see a trailer.

You’re solely basing this on KOTM underperforming last year which was due to a lot of different things not just the movie itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MonsterZero said:

But again why do you say this without taking into consideration “Kong: Skull Island” did nearly $600 million WW, this movie has BOTH Godzilla and Kong going head to head which is what audiences want with a movie like this and that we have yet to see a trailer.

You’re solely basing this on KOTM underperforming last year which was due to a lot of different things not just the movie itself.

Yeah, but Kong:Skull Island featured a totally different lead monster, tone, and look from both Godzilla 2014 and KOTM. It's not really a coincidence that the most successful film of this franchise was the only one that didn't feature Godzilla at all.

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Yeah, but Kong:Skull Island featured a totally different lead monster, tone, and look from both Godzilla 2014 and KOTM. It's not really a coincidence that the most successful film of this franchise was the only one that didn't feature Godzilla at all.

A lot of these are good points. Each film has been different in style and tone.

The same should be expected for Godzilla vs. Kong. Whether audiences will bite remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MonsterZero said:

2. I'd also like to ask why you and others on this site seem to have a hate boner for this film and franchise. The posts I have read on this topic seem to indicate that you guys are actively rooting for this film to fail. Why? Why would people on a website dedicated to movies actively root for a film to struggle at the box office? If you don't like it fine by why want it to fail? 

That’s one of the reasons why I briefly left the site after KOTM. The box office failure seemed like some sort of celebration and certain members were calling out Godzilla Fans for “running away” when KOTM didn’t make back money. And since we’re such a small fanbase, it’s no help.

This forum has some toxicity that seems unresolved.

10 hours ago, MonsterZero said:

Godzilla 2014 had weak legs too. Sure, Kong was a great hit and I think some potential is there for GVK. Look if the first two aren’t well received unless GVK gets a holiday slot like say Christmas, I have no reason to see why GVK will be a huge hit. It’s standard box office statistics, look at BVS and JL for instance. BVS had horrible reception, and JL suffered from it. To say KoTM won’t have an effect on it is wishful thinking at best.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Godzilla 2014 had weak legs too. Sure, Kong was a great hit and I think some potential is there for GVK. Look if the first two aren’t well received unless GVK gets a holiday slot like say Christmas, I have no reason to see why GVK will be a huge hit. It’s standard box office statistics, look at BVS and JL for instance. BVS had horrible reception, and JL suffered from it. To say KoTM won’t have an effect on it is wishful thinking at best.

Godzilla 2014 had horrible audience reception and KOTM suffered from it. I'd say KOTM is the JL in this situation, not the BvS.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Godzilla 2014 had horrible audience reception and KOTM suffered from it. I'd say KOTM is the JL in this situation, not the BvS.

Still doesn’t help GvK’s case. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

If we have a second Corona wave in the fall,all bets are off, of course.

Hollywood just needs to take the existing/previous film release schedule and bump everything back a year. Which they'll have to do with the planned 2021 films that never made it to production or had their production stopped because of the virus anyway. Then the scheduled 2022 and beyond films that occupy the slots the 2021 films have to be dropped in to get pushed back a year, and so on.