grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

Only glimmer of hope for me.

But i just dont get why WB would even consider this movie dumping on streaming?! GvK is a prime example of a movie MADE for the big screen and especially IMAX. Delay it once more ill happily wait another year for this but dying on a f*** streaming plattform nobody cares about or has access to in much of the world is not the fate this movie deserves. 

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

But i just dont get why WB would even consider this movie dumping on streaming?! GvK is a prime example of a movie MADE for the big screen and especially IMAX. Delay it once more ill happily wait another year for this but dying on a f*** streaming plattform nobody cares about or has access to in much of the world is not the fate this movie deserves. 

It’s probably only being discussed because Netflix made the 200m offer so that’s probably why WB stepped in and the whole streamer thing is being discussed.  

Edited by cax16

59 minutes ago, cax16 said:

It’s probably only being discussed because Netflix made the 200m offer so that’s probably why WB stepped in and the whole streamer thing is being discussed.  

That makes sense, and tbh I don't think this movie would do too well box office-wise under normal circumstances anyway. King of the Monsters flopped despite having good trailers and seemingly attempting to offer fans more monsters that the 2014 Godzilla but there just wasn't enough interest from the general audience.

Those who skipped King of the Monsters might be more inclined to watch this now that it'll come to streaming. I do understand the spectacle aspect of wanting to watch something like this on the big screen but I do feel like putting this on HBO max is a good move, and likely the first of many big budget movies they'll put on there in the coming years.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I mean, nobody thought in a million years they would do this for Wonder Woman and yet here we are. All bets are clearly off in the pandemic era.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CoolK said:

i was planning to see this in IMAX :whosad:

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

As I said, it probably doesn't change much for you guys if this goes to HBO Max. The movie will still get a theatrical release in Germany and Singapore, unless the countries gets HBO Max by then, which I doubt. Will only affect America, and maybe Latin America and Nordic countries if it launches there by May next year.

You guys only have to be worried if this goes to Netflix.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I mean, nobody thought in a million years they would do this for Wonder Woman and yet here we are. All bets are clearly off in the pandemic era.

Thoght how well it will turn out for Warners remains to be seen. I got a feeling the parent AT and T corporation is going to be asking some hard questions about throwing away theatricle revenues.

Man, for a boxoffice site, there are too many stupidos here. WB wasn't offered anything and has less stake in this whole monsterverse than Legendary Pictures. 70-75% of the budget of these movies is fronted by Legendary with their Chinese partners. Netflix has offered 200M to them and I bet they could use some cash, as the last movie was a flop and there is no guarantee this will make money in theatres. WB knows there is value of having something like this on HBO max, so they must have convinced legendary to not sell it to Netflix. Basically, stop blaming WB. It is legendary pictures that has the final say where and how this movie goes.

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Man, for a boxoffice site, there are too many stupidos here. WB wasn't offered anything and has less stake in this whole monsterverse than Legendary Pictures. 70-75% of the budget of these movies is fronted by Legendary with their Chinese partners. Netflix has offered 200M to them and I bet they could use some cash, as the last movie was a flop and there is no guarantee this will make money in theatres. WB knows there is value of having something like this on HBO max, so they must have convinced legendary to not sell it to Netflix. Basically, stop blaming WB. It is legendary pictures that has the final say where and how this movie goes.

THR explains that Warners controls the theatrical/release/veto power for this film -- which means ultimately it's Warner Media/possibly AT&T determining its destiny now, as we've seen with the WW84 situation -- even though WB invested only 25% of the budget in Godzilla/Kong. 

Though Warner Bros. has only a 25 percent stake in the movie, it controls the release.

Decisions on the movie’s fate are being handled at the highest level, with WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar and Warner Bros. chairman Ann Sarnoff figuring out an offer for a streaming release on HBO Max that in theory also includes a theatrical component.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/godzilla-vs-kong-likely-the-latest-tentpole-to-go-to-a-streamer-exclusive

Edited by Macleod

Makes more sense for Warners to go this route with G vs K then with WW84.

Let's face it, KOTM underperomed badly, and Warners was probably nervous about G  V K. Now at least they have got back a lot of their investment with this deal.

But WW84, a follow up to a smash hit, is really questionable at best for this approach.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2020 at 5:32 PM, excel1 said:

WB need to hire @excel1 

This is an utter shit show, embarrassing. 

What would you fix? Out of curiosity?

Like what would you do for labels like DC, Potter, Warner Animation and the like?