grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

I do find it funny how there are so many people online going "You can't put Godzilla vs Kong on streaming. It has to be on the big screen only!" ,acting like that last movie King of the Monsters was so beloved when instead it flopped and got crap reviews from audiences and critics alike.

And now all of the sudden y'all wanna get on board this monsterverse train again lol I got nothing against these movies but it's funny how fickle people can be.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, clockwork said:

I do find it funny how there are so many people online going "You can't put Godzilla vs Kong on streaming. It has to be on the big screen only!" ,acting like that last movie King of the Monsters was so beloved when instead it flopped and got crap reviews from audiences and critics alike.

And now all of the sudden y'all wanna get on board this monsterverse train again lol I got nothing against these movies but it's funny how fickle people can be.

If you would take a tour through the Godzilla fandom you would find a great many people who love KoTM. It was the definition of a movie for the fans and not for the critics a stance that i usually oppose but since i myself am a giant G-Fan i cant on this occasion. Its a niche movie but those who love this franchise (and i mean all 60+ years of it) see KoTM as nothing less than a pure present. So no, i disagree wholeheartedly. It did not get crap reviews from audiences.

Critics Consensus

Godzilla: King of the Monsters delivers spectacular kaiju action -- and reaffirms that cutting-edge effects are still no substitute for a good story.

43%

TOMATOMETER

Total Count: 340

83%

Audience Score

Verified Ratings: 25,210

The Tomatometer also disagrees with your statement.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

This was buried in a Deadline Q&A about The Little Things:

At WB, consultant/former Universal marketing exec Josh Goldstine is now spearheading campaigns for the 2021 hybrid release slate — the WB marketing president post seems his job to lose, but Warner Bros won’t name a successor to Blair Rich until her year-end exit — even as reps of talent hold back the possibility their stars won’t promote these films, unless the back end deals fall closer to Wonder Woman 1984 than the one-size-fits-all formula WB proffered. Battles big and small are being fought on numerous films: Legendary is in a big fight that might result in lawsuits after it financed 75% of tent poles Dune and Godzilla vs. Kong and was completely blindsided. Rumors have the solution to that breach being to preserve Dune as a traditional theatrical to preserve its franchise potential and since its October 1 release date falls well after the estimated late spring date when Covid vaccines should achieve herd immunity. Godzilla vs. Kong might stay an HBO Max hybrid in its May 21 slot, but only if Warner Bros makes a deal with Legendary that uses as a base the $250 million value established when the film was shopped earlier to Netflix.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/the-little-things-john-lee-hancock-30-year-odyssey-denzel-washington-rami-malek-jared-leto-hbo-max-controversy-1234660476/

• Haha 1

Releasing it as hybrid HBOMax with legendary’s blessing wouldn't be good For WB

Getting sued into the ground by Legendary wouldn’t be good for WB 

Having to pay legendary to acquire this at a valuation of 250M wouldn’t be good for WB

The best option is the only one I’m pretty sure WB won’t take.    

Very funny to watch this all play out though.

How I imagine the conversation between Legendary and WB went.

Legendary: we want the $250m that Netflix was going to give us.

WB: But we only have a US streaming service and will be putting it in theatres as well.

Legendary:

I Dont Morgan Freeman GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Eh I doubt legendary would ask the 250m that Netflix was asking cause that would be straight to streaming only. With this model maybe WB pays them 100m for Hbomax rights and they still have their split of box office revenues overseas, maybe they would renegotiate the percentage so it’s more friendly to legendary. 

Why is Legendary and WB being so stupid? Just to satisfy the ego of Dennis? Dune is the one that should be going to HBO max, as it won't make money at all in theaters. It would have bombed badly even if things were normal. 

GvK has some potential at the box office especially overseas territories. That and it is the type of movie made for the big screen aka IMAX. I know KOTM flopped, but this has Kong. There is some value to this. If things normalize, this can do 120M domestic and 300+ OS. Even if things don't normalize, it can do 200M WW. There I potential depending on when things get back to track.

Can't say the same about Dune. In normal conditions it would have struggled to crack 250M WW. Now, eveb 100M WW will be a tall task. It is simple not appealing movie at all to the wider public. Just the the worst kind of big budget movie.