grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | March 31 2021 | Adam Wingard to direct

6 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

Blair Witch sucked....SUCKED! I have zero confidence in this guy's ability. Shit, I'd rather have Gareth "Hide The Main Attraction" Edwards back instead of this stiff.

Lmao like clockwork. You probably skipped tele's announcement.

• Like 2

I have watch 2 of his 3 movies...The Guest was a simple but awesome B movie heavily inspired from the first Terminator. Blair witch 2 was god awful and deservedly bombed. Not even the marketing hook worked LOL. 

Tbf...these movies are directed by Thomas Tull+his crew...so it should be solid. 

4 hours ago, Mulder said:

Lmao like clockwork. You probably skipped tele's announcement.

No I read Tele's announcement, I believe you need to read it again. He said people who repeatedly trash a movie. I'm not even trashing the movie, I'm trashing the choice of director.

2 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

No I read Tele's announcement, I believe you need to read it again. He said people who repeatedly trash a movie. I'm not even trashing the movie, I'm trashing the choice of director.

Which is unwarranted.

Fuck yes! One of my favorite working directors. You're Next and especially The Guest are the epitomization of so much of what I love about movies. While I'd gladly watch him make smaller films with Simon Barrett forever, I'm thrilled he's getting a big payday and a chance to show the world what he's got. Here's hoping he isn't let down by a subpar script (cough Blair Witch coughcoughcoughcough). 

The Guest is also low-key one of my favorite directing performances I've seen. The plot is standard genre homage, but it's so densely packed with marvelous camera, performances, and use of music. There's like ten shots I have a near photographic memory of just in the last twenty minutes. 

Edited by Kevin Bacon
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RandomJC said:

I always liked people's complains about Edwards hiding Godzilla. It shows a total lack of knowledge of the film series, that just makes the irony of them all the more sweeter.

I wouldn't say that Toho are best known for hiding Godzilla, but the films always had more or at least equal focus on human characters compared to the monsters.

The problem with Edwards's and co.'s execution of the pacing was that they tried to pull that off in a two hour film. Unless we're talking about Shin Godzilla, where there are quality characters and an interwoven backstory to explore, that's a poor decision to make. The pacing has to be better in Godzilla 2 and Godzilla vs. Kong, or the negative reception will come back to haunt their box office draws.

22 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

I wouldn't say that Toho are best known for hiding Godzilla, but the films always had more or at least equal focus on human characters compared to the monsters.

The problem with Edwards's and co.'s execution of the pacing was that they tried to pull that off in a two hour film. Unless we're talking about Shin Godzilla, where there are quality characters and an interwoven backstory to explore, that's a poor decision to make. The pacing has to be better in Godzilla 2 and Godzilla vs. Kong, or the negative reception will come back to haunt their box office draws.

There's a lot of things I could say about shin gojira. It having quality characters is not one of them

4 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

Shin Godzilla was terrifying though. As Godzilla should be. 

Eh Godzilla was always meant to be a tragic figure, and Ishiro Honda himself took the character to more heroic places as time went on.

6 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

Depends on the Godzilla movie. And just about every Godzilla movie was about the humans as the focus, and the monsters weren't really so much the "star" of the films.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin Bacon said:

If Godzilla 2014 had a good script I'm confident it would be really well regarded. I thought Edwards did an incredible job with they movie from a visual standpoint. 

Totally agree. Godzilla was a beautifully shot movie w/great action, great sense of epic scale, good cast (Aaron Taylor-Johnson notwithstanding, obviously) and a well executed vision of Godzilla itself. Its biggest problem (besides failing the Jaws approach of keeping the main attraction hidden, which worked in Jaws because you absolutely felt the emergency and the presence of the shark in every scene, but you didn't feel Godzilla's presence here) was that the script focused too much on the uninteresting humans. If they made Bryan Cranston the main focus of the story, nobody would've complained. I mean, they still would've, all the other characters, well acted as most may have been, were still pretty dull, but the center piece of the film would've been captivating. Cranston had BY FAR the most interesting human character, and that's not just because he's awesome, but because there was something to him that you just couldn't help but root for. I get that you don't really want your action hero as a middle aged man (though, when he's Bryan Cranston, why the fuck not?), but still, White Soldier Dude was beyond boring.

If the Gareth Edwards/Max Borenstein duo knew how to properly execute human characters (Edwards can still do some decent things if Rogue One is proof; Borenstein definitely let David Hack Goyer's "every human is a robot" virus get to him if both Godzilla and Skull Island are indication, on the other hand) and they made the screenplay a lot stronger, Godzilla would've been absolutely terrific. It was let down by (mostly) boring characters, and the one good character they had was killed off in the 1st act. Just poor decisions after poor decisions. I still think the movie gets away w/it due to making the main attraction great (WHENEVER HE WAS ON SCREEN, THAT IS), but yeah, it was waaayyyy too problematic.

Shame. Those trailers are incredible.

• Like 1

First casting announcement has arrived from Hollywood Reporter. Zhang Ziyi has been picked for a recurring role. Her first appearance will be in Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and she is also slated to appear in Godzilla vs. Kong.

Zhang Ziyi Joins Kyle Chandler in 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters'

Edited by NoobSaibot