Jump to content
grim22

GODZILLA vs. KONG | November 20 2020 | Adam Wingard to direct

Recommended Posts

Getting the same tired excuses why G14 didn't do great. The most annoying one is "competition." If these films were better that would help stave off competition.

  • ...wtf 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bishop54 said:

Getting the same tired excuses why G14 didn't do great. The most annoying one is "competition." If these films were better that would help stave off competition.

I think most (if not all) of us here put forth WOM as the main reason for G14's weekend drops.

 

If you look around the fandom as a whole, a good number were already aware of G14's reception among the GA as having the biggest effect on performance, and that awareness can only go up in the wake of KOTM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

imo GVK will at least do,

140 Dom + 200 Ch + 35 Jp + 150 OS-Ch-Jp = 525 WW

 

which gives theatrical returns of,

140*0.55 + 200*0.25+ 185*0.40 = 201

 

That 525 WW is less than GZ14 (529) and KSI (566). So as an underperformer it's looking at matching it's prod budget (guessing 200) theatrically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, a2k said:

imo GVK will at least do,

140 Dom + 200 Ch + 35 Jp + 150 OS-Ch-Jp = 525 WW

 

which gives theatrical returns of,

140*0.55 + 200*0.25+ 185*0.40 = 201

 

That 525 WW is less than GZ14 (529) and KSI (566). So as an underperformer it's looking at matching it's prod budget (guessing 200) theatrically.

Yeah that's minimum GvK can do ... release date is also fine March month ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Grand Moff said:

Is it possible that Kaiju movies were just never that popular?

 

I think its possible.

 

Looks like theres a B.O. ceiling to giant monster movies, but ofc I cant help but wonder what if G14 maintained its $93M OW and delivered in a way the GA majority wouldve wanted.

 

WOM & legs could have been very impressive. 

Edited by kaijukurt
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kaijukurt said:

 

I think its possible.

 

Looks like theres a B.O. ceiling to giant monster movies, but ofc I cant help but wonder what if G14 maintained its $93M OW and delivered in a way the GA majority wouldve wanted.

 

WOM & legs could have been very impressive. 

I'm coming to that realization myself. I loved the original Toho Godzilla flicks as a kid. But there's only so much you can do with a giant monster, other than have him fight other giant monsters. We got that in spades in G:KOTM, and it's still struggling at the BO. I figure Godzilla vs. Kong will be the absolute ceiling for this series: Once the two most popular Giant Monsters of all time go at it, what's left? GvK 2?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Grand Moff said:

Is it possible that Kaiju movies were just never that popular?

Yes. Only the Transformer flicks truly broke out in a huge way. And, really, that was much more due to nostalgia tied to the 80s cartoon.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, do they have a ceiling. Max i can see is 700M we if it is firing on all cylinders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Harris said:

I'm coming to that realization myself. I loved the original Toho Godzilla flicks as a kid. But there's only so much you can do with a giant monster, other than have him fight other giant monsters. We got that in spades in G:KOTM, and it's still struggling at the BO. I figure Godzilla vs. Kong will be the absolute ceiling for this series: Once the two most popular Giant Monsters of all time go at it, what's left? GvK 2?

 

^This.

 

Given that the Godzilla film with the most tickets ever sold in Japan is still King Kong vs Godzilla by far (IIRC), I cant imagine any other Godzilla film doing better than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

remember when GvK was a potential billion grosser, good times.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

remember when GvK was a potential billion grosser, good times.

Me, drinking & remembering the good times

 

giphy.gif

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, John Harris said:

I'm coming to that realization myself. I loved the original Toho Godzilla flicks as a kid. But there's only so much you can do with a giant monster, other than have him fight other giant monsters. We got that in spades in G:KOTM, and it's still struggling at the BO. I figure Godzilla vs. Kong will be the absolute ceiling for this series: Once the two most popular Giant Monsters of all time go at it, what's left? GvK 2?

A "Gorgo" remake.......

  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 1:17 AM, Bishop54 said:

Getting the same tired excuses why G14 didn't do great. The most annoying one is "competition." If these films were better that would help stave off competition.

KOTM is superior to G14 and is fantastic. 

 

And yes, there's a ceiling, G14 and Kong: SKU both between 500 and 600M. GvK will probably pass Kong: SKU but that will be the highest it goes. I'm so thankful those films exist, and Legendary and WB sharing budget (with Legendary footing most of the bill) is a good thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mtom90 said:

Give back the rights to Marvel :D 

I recently reread the trade paperback edition of the Marvel Godzilla series, and having The Big G interact with the heros in the Marvel Universe was a lot of fun. The series never really took itself that seriuously.

And I love the final issue, on the cover said "Featuing the Most Gratitious, Unessescary Spider Man Guest Apparence Ever".

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Godzilla is one of the few amphibian monsters. It's life under water hasn't been exploited at all. The water scenes are about it coming out or swimming for dramatic effect but spending enough time under water with the monster would be a refreshing take. Aquatic monsters like Megalodon can also be added to the mix for a monster vs monster storyline.

 

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebirah,_Horror_of_the_Deep

 

There's enough mileage in MonsterVerse to last a long time imo. How F&F franchise seem dead till it was brought back to life with a new style and now seems endless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a2k said:

Godzilla is one of the few amphibian monsters. It's life under water hasn't been exploited at all. The water scenes are about it coming out or swimming for dramatic effect but spending enough time under water with the monster would be a refreshing take. Aquatic monsters like Megalodon can also be added to the mix for a monster vs monster storyline.

 

Godzilla vs the Sea Monster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebirah,_Horror_of_the_Deep

 

There's enough mileage in MonsterVerse to last a long time imo. How F&F franchise seem dead till it was brought back to life with a new style and now seems endless.

Water effects are too expensive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 5:30 AM, a2k said:

imo GVK will at least do,

140 Dom + 200 Ch + 35 Jp + 150 OS-Ch-Jp = 525 WW

 

which gives theatrical returns of,

140*0.55 + 200*0.25+ 185*0.40 = 201

 

That 525 WW is less than GZ14 (529) and KSI (566). So as an underperformer it's looking at matching it's prod budget (guessing 200) theatrically.

Yeah, am sure WB would be happy if they got in revenue the production budget, good thing marketing is free right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.