kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

6 hours ago, La Binoche said:

77 on RT? This trash deserves a 25 at best. Di$ney at it again. 

6 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

70s on RT so same as Solo, you have to subtract 20 from any Disney movie to rid yourself of the apologists. 50s sounds right for this.

It's near the end of 2018 and people STILL don't understand what a Rotten Tomatoes score is.

Call me an eternal optimist, but maybe by the time 2024 or 2028 rolls around, it'll finally sink in just what RT measures and what it doesn't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's near the end of 2018 and people STILL don't understand what a Rotten Tomatoes score is.

Call me an eternal optimist, but maybe by the time 2024 or 2028 rolls around, it'll finally sink in just what RT measures and what it doesn't.

Even when you know what RT truly is, your mind does a trick on you and you think it is a grade of the movie because it is a number.

I think 90% of people read the RT score as a grade.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Even when you know what RT truly is, your mind does a trick on you and you think it is a grade of the movie because it is a number.

I think 90% of people read the RT socre as a grade.

That's why I make sure to always check out the x/10 right next to it.  Helps me re-calibrate the number in my head. ;)

Of course, when it comes to prediction of reception the RT base score IS useful if only as a very rough gauge of how much cross-appeal a movie has.  Factor in genre (which includes past franchise performance, if applicable), which critics have piped up, and the time of year, and a decent set of boundaries can be set up.

Two very similar films where one gets a 75 RT score and a one that gets an 85 probably will play out differently at the box office.

Not that I have any first hand recent experience with this or anything. 😬

=====

Anyway, this is probably setting up for a solid run for MPR.  Just maybe not an earth-shattering one.  

Still, let's not forget that Jumanji last year had a 76/6.2 and it legged it out to over 400m DOM.  So a breakout for MPR is still very much in the cards. 

• Like 3

RT is disappointing after all those early reactions hyping it to BP levels. Though the average rating is very impressive for something in the 70s. There’s plenty of movies in the 90s on RT with lower average ratings. So I’m guessing it must be a movie that not everyone will go for, but those who like it are really liking it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

Isn't it weird how outlets whose reviews are supposedly paid off by Disney also spend much of their time publishing articles complaining about Disney and their remake/rehash/sequels.. huh! 

It's stranger that quick and rudimentary cash grabs are given an easy pass. 

• Like 1

Heard a song on the radio today. 'Imagine that' I think? Blunt has a nice voice and seems to nail the character but the song itself was totally unmemorable. If that's the number they're using the push the movie then a future musical classic this ain't.

Edited by Hatebox

7 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Heard a song on the radio today. 'Imagine that' I think? Blunt has a nice voice and seems to nail the character but the song itself was totally unmemorable. If that's the number they're using the push the movie then a future musical classic this ain't.

Musicals live and die by their songs.

So not very reassuring.

Musicals have unusual legs because people listen to the soundtrack and go see the movie.

The songs become the ongoing promotion of the movie.

Hasn't this already passed the certificaton for Certified Fresh? 75%+ with more than 80 reviews, over 5 top critics ratings...

Also, that's a pretty solid average rating (currently at 7.6)... it's higher than Infinity War (84%, 7.5), Ant-Man and the Wasp (88%, 7.0), and Ralph Breaks the Internet (88%, 7.3).

15 hours ago, Hatebox said:

It's surprising because Shaiman and Wittman were the composers of Hairspray which has loads of catchy songs although they also did the musical version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which isn't as good.

On 12/12/2018 at 10:47 PM, BoxOfficeZ said:

Didn't like this as much as I thought I would. Its decent enough but honestly my biggest problem is it lacks magic. There's nothing in the movie that really justifies its existence besides using the same themes as the first movie. The songs for example I pretty much forgot by the time I left the screening.

Will say there's one great scene with cartoon characters that actually wowed me. But everything else was just...there. 

I’m not a giant MP fan (although of course somehow I’ve seen the original many, many times) but I thought this was a satisfying, entertaining sequel in spite of itself. It has all the flaws you’d expect from a Rob Marshall musical and a huge Disney, IP-generated sequel but it manages to transcend that.

Nothing truly amazing but unless you expect the Second Coming I think most people will be very entertained. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/16/2018 at 12:40 AM, Telemachos said:

I’m not a giant MP fan (although of course somehow I’ve seen the original many, many times) but I thought this was a satisfying, entertaining sequel in spite of itself. It has all the flaws you’d expect from a Rob Marshall musical and a huge Disney, IP-generated sequel but it manages to transcend that.

Nothing truly amazing but unless you expect the Second Coming I think most people will be very entertained. 

What did Tele Jr think? (I assume you watched a screener)