kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

NO.  NO.  AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, FUCKING NO.

I can kind of understand remaking the animated films into live action ones, sure, I'm not the biggest fan, but whatever.  Plus those were classic stories than can be told in a variety of new ways.

THIS?  ABSOLUTELY NO.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2015 at 4:57 PM, CoolioD1 said:

I'm not totally against a remake but rooooooobbbb marshalllllll?

I was seriously coming in here to laugh at people who I knew would be screaming bloody murder about a new Mary Poppins

But Rob Marshall is terrible so this is a bad idea

• Like 3

On 9/14/2015 at 1:25 PM, kayumanggi said:

The film will take place 20 years after the original Mary Poppins, in Depression-era London. Where the Julie Andrews original was largely based on the first book in the Mary Poppins series, the new film will draw from the remaining seven installments of P.L. Travers’ children’s books. While the film will not be a proper sequel, it will continue Mary’s adventures with the Banks family.

The 2 bolded sentences don't computer.

It's been a while since I read the books but I believe they all take place around the same time with the same characters?

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, AndyLL said:

The 2 bolded sentences don't computer.

It's been a while since I read the books but I believe they all take place around the same time with the same characters?

ironically enough, the books take place comtemporary with when they were published....the 1930's. Moving the time back to 1912 Edwardian England was a Disney innovatation.

Wonder if Disney will offer this role to Blunt in a package deal with  Marvel's "Captain Marvel";Marvel studios seems to really want her for that role.Kevin Fiege is high on her as an actress;she was cast as Natasha Romanova/The Black Widow in IM2 before pregnancy made her drop out.

But the film biggest problem is doing a sequel to a film as beloved as "Mary Poppins", beloved by 2 of 3 generatations (it is a timeless film;kids today seems to love it as much as their parents and in some cases grandparents did) is always a huge risk.

Edited by dudalb

Where's the outrage? Where's the vitriol over the sure-to-be-defiled classic and the unworthy stars filling way-too-big shoes? Blunt can never compare to Andrews, right?  And WTF? A Puerto Rican playing a Depression-era Londoner? WTF is wrong with Hollywood? What's next? A gender-switched remake of Ghostbusters ?? :ph34r: