kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

12 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I can't see any appeal for the teenage/young adult crowd. That doesn't mean of cource that families and older people cannot make this big.

This is what I was getting at but some said this has the same appeal as.... Jumanji...:wintf:

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

I can't see any appeal for the teenage/young adult crowd. That doesn't mean of cource that families and older people cannot make this big.

Yeah, the audiences who have embraced Harry Potter are going to reject this.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Bad accents ❤️ 

Lin Manual sounds a lot better then Dick Van Dyke.

Well, the trailer sold me. Reallly glad the animation....though no doubt done by a computee...is going to have a classic,cell animation look.

6 hours ago, DMan7 said:

MPR will obliterate the competition even with Jumanji numbers which is close to 1B WW. There isn't any movies that can do close to a SW movie this Christmas so the next best thing is Jumanji.

I agree, but people here are convinced a film has to be a "geek" movie,....CBM or Sci Fi film to do those kind of numbers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PatrickvD said:

This is breaking out big time. It's not the type of film that appeals to people on this forum, but I expect families and older people are going to come through for this.

Plus, this will be the film to solidify Emily Blunt as a megastar. I honestly don't see this doing below $300M. And UK has a shot at $100M+ considering the source material and the star power involved.

By far the most effective trailer of the year.

I generally agree, though I think it will be more popular with the "geek" age group then people on this forum expect.

2 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

To give an idea, percentage of the ticket sold in 2017 by demography:

2-11  : 10%

12-17: 11%

18-24: 12%

25-39: 26%

40-49: 13%

50-59: 12%

60+: 16%

demo like the 40-49 are not bigger buyer than the 12-17... or the 18-24 .The 50-59 will joint that category soon.

Cinderella in 2015, made a 55% under 25 score too.

For Jungle Book 104m OW;

49% of the Box office was family, with a 47% under 25 and 53% over 25 with an even 51/49 female/male gender split, quite close to a pure 4 quadrant affair.

24 minutes ago, dudalb said:
4 hours ago, jedijake said:

I see that Marshall used some under water scenes. Testing ground for Little Mermaid?

I am sure that passed through Marshall's and Disney's mind.....

They could see how Aquaman evolves under the water, but most interesting could be Disney getting James Cameron onboard and whatever he is doing with "underwater technology" for Avatar sequels. 

Families and People over 30 are probably enough to make this movie a big hit... teenages and young adults could be convinced to watch based on WOM, it’s a christmas movie, it doesn’t need a mega debut to have a huge total.

I think $ 300M is the goal, and could be higher if the movie is really good

My predictions:

Poppins: $ 400M (i’m confident)

Aquaman: $ 270M

Spiderverse: $ 160M

Bumblebee: $ 140M

Mortal Enginees: $ 60M

I don’t know what expect for Alita, i want it to be huge but marketing wasn’t good

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Families and People over 30 are probably enough to make this movie a big hit... teenages and young adults could be convinced to watch based on WOM, it’s a christmas movie, it doesn’t need a mega debut to have a huge total.

I think $ 300M is the goal, and could be higher if the movie is really good

My predictions:

Poppins: $ 400M (i’m confident)

Aquaman: $ 270M

Spiderverse: $ 160M

Bumblebee: $ 140M

Mortal Enginees: $ 60M

I don’t know what expect for Alita, i want it to be huge but marketing wasn’t good

It's a move that teenagers and young adults saw and enjoyed as kids, and I think people will be surprised by how well MPR will do in this demographic.

But way overpredicting the Spidey verse. I suspect Bumblebee will do better.

IMHO Mortal Engines will flop,and Alita will disappoint at the box office, In the end Alita is NOT a James Cameron movie,but a Rodriguez movie.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

The trailer makes me want to see it but damn it! I know if I do I'll be disappointed because it's a musical.

So was the original film......................

Now if you are talking about the quality of the songs, that is one of my concerns;the songs from the original are one hell of a tough act to follow.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

So was the original film......................

Now if you are talking about the quality of the songs, that is one of my concerns;the songs from the original are one hell of a tough act to follow.

I haven't seen the original since before elementary school, so I am not sure how I would react to the classic one now.

The original is a blur to me.