kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

Just now, That One Guy said:

This will do well but not nearly as well as some are predicting 

I agree. It'll definitely be the biggest movie of the Christmas frame by a wide margin, but with five potential 100M grossers (this/Aquaman/Bumblebee/Spider-Man/Mortal Engines) and a mid-range adult drama in Bohemian Rhapsody, competition will be tight.

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I personally hate the color scheme. It looks super muted and not very fun-looking. I want to see the costumes and the set come to life, not be grayed out.

Oh forgive them for trying to grow the character :sparta:

• Like 1

I am resisting the urge to threadcrap, coz that's just really bad form.  Instead I'll push the impulse waaaaay down and simply say this.

This is a beloved property like few others in the US (and I believe the UK). If, IF, this is good, it could do very well at the box office.  If it is great, it could have an historic run.  I'm not talking a Titanic or Avatar run, coz that's just silly to predict ahead of time.  But it could have fantastic legs as word of quality gets around.

This is precisely the type of film that can pick up speed in the holidays and barrel into January as WOM gets out and people decide to see it.

The only thing to stop this sort of run is that social media helps spread WOM faster than ever. But, I dunno.  I think there will be enough initial resistance that if it is great, it'll draw in more and more skeptical peeps (like me :ph34r:) over its run.

IF it is great.  And it doesn't have to just be a good movie.  It has literally 50+ years of nostalgia to compete with.  Pretty tall ask, but we'll see what happens.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I agree. It'll definitely be the biggest movie of the Christmas frame by a wide margin, but with five potential 100M grossers (this/Aquaman/Bumblebee/Spider-Man/Mortal Engines) and a mid-range adult drama in Bohemian Rhapsody, competition will be tight.

Aquaman, Bumblebee, Mortal Engines, and Bohemian Rhapsody all sound like enormous disasters waiting to happen. I think Aquaman is the only one of those that gets past 80.

Needless to say I'd give this a very solid shot to win the entire year. I think it finishes second or third but 350+ wouldn't stun me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Aquaman, Bumblebee, Mortal Engines, and Bohemian Rhapsody all sound like enormous disasters waiting to happen. I think Aquaman is the only one of those that gets past 80.

Needless to say I'd give this a very solid shot to win the entire year. I think it finishes second or third but 350+ wouldn't stun me.

What do you have Aquaman doing? :jeb!: I'm predicting 180M, which some people on here think is way too low :lol: 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

What do you have Aquaman doing? :jeb!: I'm predicting 180M, which some people on here think is way too low :lol: 

Like 110-120. The "I will see every superhero movie!!" crowd is too big at this point for it to go much lower, but who gives a flying fuck otherwise? Wonder Woman was an icon and cultural touchstone that was very well-received in a movie that still made 330m. Aquaman is goofy ass Aquaman that represents nothing and was poorly received in a movie struggling to hit 220. Who cares? What audience is even left for this, beside superhero diehards?

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Jason Momoa remains shirtless for at least 75% of the movie, Aquaman will easily win the Christmas season. James Wan is smart enough to know that having that factor will instantly propel interest among women and gays (I know I'll see it five times if that happens)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

If Jason Momoa remains shirtless for at least 75% of the movie, Aquaman will easily win the Christmas season. James Wan is smart enough to know that having that factor will instantly propel interest among women and gays (I know I'll see it five times if that happens)

Image result for oh you meme

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What about Spidey?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

What about Spidey?

I don't know, def rooting for the Miles Morales character and Lord-Miller generally but I don't quite understand that multiverse/alternate Spider-Man shit and I'm not sure audiences will either.

• Like 1