kayumanggi

CHARLIE'S ANGELS | 15 NOVEMBER 2019 | Sony | Elizabeth Banks directing. Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Movies flop if there's no interest in them. Positive reviews and WOM don't have any power of swaying if you simply don't care. They help when one is on the fence but that doesn't work for tired franchises that are past the point of expanding their fandom. 

For now, most people will only watch two kinds of films in theaters.

1) Big franchise films with big IP (like Marvel, DC).

2) Films that are politically relevant to audience.  (Midway is politically relevant to right-wing audience.)

By the way, Mad Max series is also politically relevant to audience; at least, the series is more politically relevant than what it did in 1980's.    Because more people understand that civilization will end very soon, and human beings will eat each others (just like what happened in Fury Road).

Edited by John2015

30 minutes ago, John2015 said:

By the way, Mad Max series is also politically relevant to audience; at least, the series is more politically relevant than what it did in 1980's.    Because more people understand that civilization will end very soon, and human beings will eat each others (just like what happened in Fury Road).

:ohmygod:

• Astonished 2

12 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

:ohmygod:

https://www.slashfilm.com/paul-schrader-interview-film-industry/

So that’s the future? Of cinema?

Paul Schrader : I have a hard time separating the future of cinema from the future period. The future of the homo sapiens?

[Schrader hands me his iPad on which there’s an article from NYMag with the headline “UN Says Climate Genocide Is Coming. It’s Actually Worse Than That.”]

Paul Schrader : So why preserve films?

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Haha 5.86 with several other films that would be rotten at 50%. It's annoying how inconsistent the standards are.  It's basically like saying we thought it was going to suck and it was ok!

You just expected/wanted this to have bad reviews and it simply isn’t getting them. 

There’s only 30 reviews. I’m sure there’s plenty of bloggers to come, they’ll drag it down. 

More than anything, Mad Max had the benefit of the entire franchise being made by George Miller, so there were no "cashgrab sequels that ruined the franchise", and him bringing his A game to Fury Road, with 2 big stars, and the fact that it was one of the best films of that year.

And even then it didn't do crazy well.

When it comes to Charlie's Angels, not even the 2000s iteration had the popularity of the first few seasons of the TV show, so it was already a "tired" revival, just riding the 1990s-2000s gimmick of making movies out of 70s TV.

Edited by TheUndertaker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

You just expected/wanted this to have bad reviews and it simply isn’t getting them. 

There’s only 30 reviews. I’m sure there’s plenty of bloggers to come, they’ll drag it down. 

The opposite actually I want it to have good reviews and do 20+ OW.  My point was several rotten films have had that score.

Edited by cdsacken

12 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Different movies, different expectations. Not that hard to understand.

It's more so I don't like the stigma associated with rotten. I mean Joker teetered near that and despite it not being a film for everyone (few films are) for what it was made for I thought it was executed extremely well.

6 hours ago, John2015 said:

For now, most people will only watch two kinds of films in theaters.

1) Big franchise films with big IP (like Marvel, DC).

2) Films that are politically relevant to audience.  (Midway is politically relevant to right-wing audience.)

Silliest post I have seen in a  while; this an attempt at humor or somebody is carrying teen age angst to new heights.

And you have to be right wing to be interested in military/naval history?

Real problem is the public seems just not be interested in this film, and a pretty good critical reception is not enough to get them interested. It would take a WOW! reception and even that might not do it.

Edited by dudalb

6 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

At this point the problem with the reviews isn't really that they are not good enough; it's that there are so few of them! Only 30 on RT, people just aren't going to see them.

Yeah, this. What's going on here??

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Word on twitter seem very positive to me. Maybe this can get some walk ups from a specific target audience that Terminator and Doctor Sleep didn't even aim for? I'm just rooting for it to do better than expectations and to become a success story that's all. 

Honestly, I hope so. Even though this movie personally isn't for me, we really need some success stories this month besides the obvious Frozen II.

• Like 1