kayumanggi

CHARLIE'S ANGELS | 15 NOVEMBER 2019 | Sony | Elizabeth Banks directing. Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The casting feels so low key to be honest. Diaz, Barrymore and Liu were all well known names and had some amount of box office pull when the previous iteration was made. Of the current cast, only Stewart is well known enough but hasn't been a box office draw post Twilight and Naomi Scott will probably be busy with the Aladdin press tour at the time of release.

Elizabeth Banks playing a role in the movie should help a little bit, but yes that do seem like an Ocean movie were it is push by names, with a bit of why no one big accepted to sign on vibe if no one do.

Lupita quitting not helping (Oscar nominee and a on the rise known name in some market at least).

Depending on the schedule, if it is Steward first return in Hollywood before Underwater and the other "comeback" release get out it could create some buzz/narrative but I imagine Charlies Angels will be after those.

Much less exciting without Lupita. And that release date is making me think 75mil budget at best. I really hope that Stewart steps up her game because she has been bad in these big movies. I'm hoping for the best but I'm very cautious about this project.

• Like 2

They most likely chose lesser known names for budget/backend deal purposes. None of the names, except for maybe Stewart, can demand a big paycheck or big back end deal (and even Stewart is debatable tbh) But if they can keep the pay checks lower that means the budget can be lower and thus a better chance for this to be a success. 

But i I do want to point out that this could back fire on them. A big reason why Ocean’s 8 was so successful was because of the A-list cast and specifically the cast having a ton of chemistry with one another. 

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I don't mind KStew but I really don't think it's the best idea to try and build a blockbuster around her? We'll see what Banks does here I guess

I don't mind her either but I agree whole heartedly.  I'm leery of her leading a Blockbuster after her performance in Snow White.  

• Like 1

The cast is bland af now without Lupita. KStew is a great actress in indies but not a star material IMO. Naomi Scott is shockingly everywhere these days despite barely any resume (Aladdin isn't out yet and that's likely to be Genie show again) and bland af showing in Power Rangers bomb. Perhaps that newcomer Balinska shows some life? I'm all for new discoveries. 

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Love Stewart but really struggling to picture this working. 

Does seem to be a creative challenge to make a charlie angels movie in 2018 (also true for a Top Gun)

Banks is not a bad choice for it, that pitch perfect 2 played on the comedy tone line/boundary pushing/offensive yet ok for now by having the joke coming out of character establish in a way to make it acceptable to an audience.

How long can you make a career with movies seen by around 100 000 people ?

Welcome back Kstew !

With all that money Kristen made off Twilight, she is one of the few people that can get away with doing low budget indie movies for the rest of her life if she wanted to. She seems to prefer them for the most part.

1 minute ago, Alli said:

curse the french!!!!

no, but seriously when was her last hit-box office or critical?  she's not an asset for this movie

She always has great ink for her parts, despite her limited range but critics and filmmakers are in love with said niche parts she play.

Ans she won a César (french Oscar) for Sils Maria, a movie that had ludicrous scenes that showed the complete contempt & condescendance some french filmmakers have for Sci-fi and modern american blockbusters, it s like leprosy to them.

Personal Shopper from 2017 has an 80% on RT.  And she got great reviews for her performance in it. Stewart has done well on the indie scene.  Her problem is she's never done well performance wise in blockbusters. I just don't know if she has the right energy for blockbusters. Snow White wasn't a good film but I think that most decent young actresses would have done a better job in that role than she did. She was quite bad in it. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6