chasmmi

Chasmmi's Winter Game - Grey Ghost is the WINNER!

On 11/9/2015, 8:55:26, WrathOfHan said:

Current Part 2 winners:

1. Blanks (close between him and GreyGhost)

2. Infernus (if actuals go down 1% avi wins)

3. GreyGhost (this will be neck and neck with DAJK, GG is only winning by .004)

4. Exxdee (highly likely final)

5. GreyGhost (final)

Looks like DAJK won the 3rd one....and also the 4th one. Rest seem to have remained the same.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Some observations from pre-season predictions:

A: A lot of us are fucked on Spectre.

F, Question 5: With Mockingjay tracking slightly above MJP1 this question might not happen.

F, Question 7: This one probably isn't happening either.

F, Question 8: This is happening if Peanuts counts as a reboot.

F, Question 16: 3 out of 4 choices had one megabomb each (#2 Kasbah, #3 Jem, #4 Scouts). Will Macbeth or Zombies manage to be giant bombs for choice #1?

At this stage of the game, I'm rather pleased with my unusually large number of Abstains.

• Like 1

Except Chasmmi essentially eliminated it as such:

Q. What films qualify as sequels with regards to pre-season question 8?

Sequel in this game means sequel, prequel, or anything similar where characters and the such have been retained for the franchise. Essentially it comes down to the films below (as of September 15th):

Paranormal Activity
Spectre
Rings
Mockingjay
Creed

Star Wars
Alvin and the chipmunks
Nut Job 2
Ride Along 2
Maybe a Blumhouse Horror

London has fallen
Kung Fu Panda 3
Deadpool (Just has to beat Wolverine Origins)
Zoolander 2

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/20125-chasmmis-winter-game-faq-thread/

• Like 3

Except Chasmmi "essentially" eliminated it which isnt the same as actually eliminating it. Plus, he was wrong in this case. I mean, if Deadpool counts as a sequel because the character appeared in Wolverine Origins, then Peanuts should certainly count seeing as how there were actually prior Peanuts movies.

Now its Chasmmi's game, so his word goes, and we all did certainly forget about those prior movies (which is embarassing because I'm now recalling that I saw a couple of them in the theater as a kid). So if he wants to say that list was the final word, or invalidate the question, Im fine with whatever he thinks is best. But WrathofHan is right, Peanuts is a sequel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrath said:

Except Chasmmi "essentially" eliminated it which isnt the same as actually eliminating it. Plus, he was wrong in this case. I mean, if Deadpool counts as a sequel because the character appeared in Wolverine Origins, then Peanuts should certainly count seeing as how there were actually prior Peanuts movies.

Now its Chasmmi's game, so his word goes, and we all did certainly forget about those prior movies (which is embarassing because I'm now recalling that I saw a couple of them in the theater as a kid). So if he wants to say that list was the final word, or invalidate the question, Im fine with whatever he thinks is best. But WrathofHan is right, Peanuts is a sequel.

The reason why I'm fairly sure he didn't intend it is that the question is an obvious slam dunk if PEANUTS is included. It's only if PEANUTS is excluded that it becomes interesting, otherwise it'd be the equivalent of wondering if OZ would outgross RETURN TO OZ.

• Like 3

Poor chasmmi, he only wanted to rule a game :D

BTW: in this case there's not so much to discuss:

When Telemachos posted the chart of sequel and so on I recognised that I had seen it when I was predicting for the game. That's why I've never had a doubt on Peanuts. Chasmmi made the list to solve the doubts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Infernus said:

In the end it would only matter if no other movie becomes the highest grossing of its franchise. If some other movie (Creed?) does so the answer would be Yes nonetheless.

Exactly: Creed, Nut Job, Ride Along, Zoolander. 

Yeah I listed those films in the FAQ thread to eliminate the possibility of an issue like this happening :)

Even if I am technically (or actually) wrong, I'll point out that that thread and explanation existed for about a month before the game started and so if it had been raised then, maybe the question would have been adjusted to include Peanuts.

Now no more trying to win points on technicalities y'all hear!

Otherwise I'll have to give my good buddy Kim Jeong-Un a call and tell him that Snoke is a parody of Kim Jeong-Il and that a righteous group of Americans should possibly be inspired to take down Lucas Film and Disney ASAP :p

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don't think Peanuts or Deadpool should count, but again it's Chasmmi's game. 

I kept in Deadpool just because it's an interesting potential break out film that adds something to the question. If it was dead certain to break 400M or was never going to make even 25M domestic, I'd have excluded it (or adjusted the question)

1. Will Spectre open to more than 75M? NO

2. Will Spectre open to more than 85M? 2000 NO

3. Will Spectre open to more than 95M? NO

4. Will Spectre opening weekend be higher than the rest of the top 10 combined? 3000 NO

5. Will Peanuts open to more than 37.5M? YES

6. Will Peanuts open to more than 47.5M? 2000 NO

7. Will Spectre and Peanuts combine to more than 55M on Friday? NO

8. Will Bridge of Spies finish within 500k of Goosebumps? 3000 NO

9. Will the Last Witch Hunter finish above Burnt? NO

10. Will the Intern stay in the top 11 this weekend? YES

11. Will Scout's guide drop more than 72.5% this weekend? 2000 NO

12. Will Trumbo have a PTA above $20,000? NO

13. Will at least one of Rock the Kasbah or Jem and the Holograms have a weekend PTA below $100? ANYTHING

14. Will Our Brand is Crisis have a larger percentage drop than Paranormal Activity? YES

15. Will Hotel Transylvannia have a $1M Sunday? YES

16. Will The Martian cross $195M?  3000 YES

17. Will Crimson Peak increase less than 40% on Saturday? NO

18. Name any film that drops less than 35% this weekend (or choose none for none)? 2000 MARTIAN, GOOSE, SPIES, INTERN

19. Will Sicario have a weekend above $1M? YES

20. Will Crimson Peak stay above $1000 PTA? YES

21. Will this weekend ever be able to live up to the epicness of the previous two? SADLY NOT

15/21 2000 bonus

16/21 3000 bonus

17/21 5000 bonus

18/21 7000 bonus

19/21 10000 bonus

20/21 12000 bonus

21/21 15000 bonus

Part 2. (5000 each)

1. What will be the difference in 3 day gross between Spectre and Peanuts? 26.2M

2. What will be the combined percentage drop of Burnt, Crisis and Scout's Guide (eg 44+21+15= 80% total)? 164.3%

3. What will The Martian and Bridge of Spies' combined Saturday gross be?  $7M

4. What will the highest percentage drop in the top 20 be? (No need to pick a film, just a number) 70.4%

5. What will the PTA of Jem be this weekend? 0

Part 3.

3. MARTIAN

7. BURNT

9. INTERN

10. PARANORMAL

12. CRIMSON

15. JOBS