CJohn

Sicario (2015)

Grade It  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

5 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Right, I forgot that about him going to prison. But he still had no real impact on the plot. The movie just spent 10 minutes spinning its wheels, narrative-wise.

And I agree that she would have been targeted, but going to that bar was a spontaneous decision, yet Bernthal was somehow already there, all prepared. 

Jon Bernthal is prepared to be the scummy dude in every movie, no matter how spontaneous.

• Like 3

This was another I was really looking forward to but found it highly overrated again. That's 3 times this year now joining Mad Max: Fury Road & Room. I usually agree with most critics on anything that is in the 90s range. But this lost my interest very quickly after the border scene.

I didn't like the bait and switch at the end either when we switched from Emily Blunts POV to Del Toros. Also what was the point of this movie? That the CIA doesn't go by the book? That they will use questionable methods to get the job done? Shocker...

Yeah the cinematography, acting, score, etc were amazing but the only thing I will remember about this movie in a few days will be it's brutal unflinching violence. Emily Blunts character was nothing but a puppet. She was only there to sign a paper in the end to justify what their operation. 

Honestly, I found it hard to follow at times because I kept falling asleep during it. The characters were pretty thin besides Del Toro. I guessed Brolin was CIA as soon as we see him on screen.

I really liked Prisoners and Enemy but not this one. Not even that dinner scene was shocking to me because the movie did a complete 360 at that point to switch to his character. It's like what's going on? Am I supposed to care and be surprised that the CIA would hire a hitman to take out a cartel boss?

Sorry this one just didn't do it for me either.

• Like 2

Loved it. Might be my number 1 of 2015. A perfect collision of stunning mood & visuals (every single frame could be hung on your wall), incredible performances (Del Toro should win an Oscar in a just world) and perfectly paced story telling. Oh, and it's been said before, but the entire Juarez sequence is perfection. Villeneuve is 3 for 3 for me now (need to catch Incendies). I think he may well be our next big auteur a la Fincher/Nolan. I cannot wait to see what he does next. Bladerunner 2 is suddenly a lot more interesting to me. 

Seriously. I want to frame all of these.

Sicario-El-Paso1.jpg

520594.jpg

rendered.video.960w.jpg

• Like 2

rewatched it recently and while I didn't find it as life-threateningly dull as last time, I still think it's an empty and unengaging film. none of it serves any kind of purpose and I didn't care about any of the characters. Nothing interesting about it apart from the excellent Deakins cinematography. The brief shot of the soldiers one-by-one disappearing below the moonlight is incredible.

On 9/26/2015 at 3:59 PM, DeeCee said:

I echo the previous comments. Very tense, gripping drama and the cinematography was great. However, Blunt was fine in her performance but the character was just to much of an audience surrogate. The final scene was a bit off as well. I understand the justification of why they had her tag along but the paperwork scene stretched credulity a bit to much.

Watching this again. I really hate Blunt’s characters response to what’s happening. It’s the main character and she’s so poorly written. 

Sicario is an excellent thriller. Villeneuve’s direction is a marked improvement over his last English language endeavor, and Sheridan’s script is tight, if a bit dry compared to his other works. The real star is Roger Deakins, who soaks the movie in indelible images that work in juxtaposition and in service to the gritty story. The cast is great all around, with Del Toro and Kaluuya as clear standouts. It’s tense and doesn’t overstay its welcome. Sicario is an excellent look at the endless cycle of violence and a taut suspense that really established Villeneuve as one of the best mainstream directors working. Very good. B