kayumanggi

HIDDEN FIGURES | 12.25.16 | Fox | Stage musical in the works

What other side?  Sexism and racism?  We've heard from those sides enough.

It's not that simple and it's never that simple. The best movies about the subject explore the complicated needs and desires that lead to the system. Selma and 12 Years a Slave's messages aren't just "racism is bad", they show the factors that sustain it so we can learn how to do things differently. Portraying racists as shallow "bad guys" doesn't offer any true insight, it just makes the audience feel good because they think they're not like them when in reality it's still a huge problem

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's not that simple and it's never that simple. The best movies about the subject explore the complicated needs and desires that lead to the system. Selma and 12 Years a Slave's messages aren't just "racism is bad", they show the factors that sustain it so we can learn how to do things differently. Portraying racists as shallow "bad guys" doesn't offer any true insight, it just makes the audience feel good because they think they're not like them when in reality it's still a huge problem

I agree with you in this aspect and that was initially one of my problems with the film,  but I've just accepted that I don't think that's the purpose of the film in all honesty! It probably will be a little bit shallow in exploring racism but I still think it should be good. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's certainly a more uplifting feel good story. If it's as good as reported I could see it having some very nice Holiday legs.

It's only opening in limited on Christmas Day and opens everywhere January 6. I could see it having strong staying power for a long time.

It is allegedly a true story. Maybe the women were indeed the most capable for the job. Also, I think calling Octavia's  character a "sassy black woman" is quite problematic and probably says more about your perception of black women than about her performance.
This is not meant to be a sharp, auteur-driven treatise on the human condition; it seems like they set out to make a heartwarming triumph-of-the-spirit crowd pleaser and nothing more. Which is fine, if you ask me.

Take the label up with TVTropes, then, because it's the one that most accurately defines the character she's typecast as.

I think it's a subject that should call for deep thought. We have plenty of artistic works already that introduce kids to the nebulous problems of racism and sexism and at this point I don't get hyped for "feel-good triumphs of the spirit" anymore

I saw the trailer for this at Moana. My interest was piqued when it said it based on a true story, although not by enough to guarantee I'd see it in theatres (I'm not a frequent moviegoer). But the friend I was with said she really wanted to see it, so I will be. Looked up the true story behind the film, hope the film does it justice.

1 hour ago, Mr Terrific said:

I don't feel like the American filmgoer has been innundated with stories of black women achieving great things in science and technology.  

My daughter popped out of her seat for this trailer. I guess I should've said, "Eh, it might be a Stand And Deliver rehash." 

Good point. I'd add that I don't think we've been inundated with stories of either blacks or women achieving great things in science and technology.

1 hour ago, tribefan695 said:

Even if the film does nothing to explore racism in depth, it serves the purpose of portraying the real story of a black woman overcoming both race and gender-based prejudice to become a NASA scientist. That's important.

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3

I saw the trailer for this at Moana. My interest was piqued when it said it based on a true story, although not by enough to guarantee I'd see it in theatres (I'm not a frequent moviegoer). But the friend I was with said she really wanted to see it, so I will be. Looked up the true story behind the film, hope the film does it justice.

Even if the film does nothing to explore racism in depth, it serves the purpose of portraying the real story of a black woman overcoming both race and gender-based prejudice to become a NASA scientist. That's important.

I just don't feel like telling the story is enough anymore. It's such a big issue now and scrutinized so heavily that I need something more from my civil rights dramas.

But again, maybe I'm completely wrong and this is actually a masterpiece and everyone can laugh at me. But I know I was bored by what they were trying to sell before Moana and Fantastic Beasts

Many racists are shallow bad guys. That could well be an accurate re-telling if history. 

It is understandable if you think is tropey, would you agree that "Some Anviks Need to Be Dropped"?

It's an anvil that's been dropped so much that it's ground powder now

And anyone who truly is a " shallow bad guy " never listened anyway

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I just don't feel like telling the story is enough anymore. It's such a big issue now and scrutinized so heavily that I need something more from my civil rights dramas.

But again, maybe I'm completely wrong and this is actually a masterpiece and everyone can laugh at me. But I know I was bored by what they were trying to sell before Moana and Fantastic Beasts

Nah, I'm not expecting a masterpiece either. Just saying it doesn't have to be one. Like sure, you might be expecting more, but this film could be all a young girl needs to be able to imagine herself as a scientist when she otherwise wouldn't.

• Like 1

Nah, I'm not expecting a masterpiece either. Just saying it doesn't have to be one. Like sure, you might be expecting more, but this film could be all a young girl needs to be able to imagine herself as a scientist when she otherwise wouldn't.

Fair enough, but even terrible movies can spark a child's imagination. I can only evaluate it from my perspective

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

Many racists are shallow bad guys. That could well be an accurate re-telling if history. 

It is understandable if you think is tropey, would you agree that "Some Anviks Need to Be Dropped"?

I actually would prefer it if the film manages to portray at least some of the men who doubted Johnston because of prejudice as otherwise decent people. That would almost certainly be closer to the truth. It would also broaden the film's message, because one-dimensional portrayals of racism make it too easy for people to think "well, I'm obviously not like that".

• Like 5

The female mathematician behind John Glenn’s space adventures paid the late astronaut a sweet tribute

John Glenn, the first American astronaut to successfully orbit Earth back in 1962, sadly passed away on Thursday at the age of 95. The woman whose math sent Glenn to orbit beautifully paid tribute to the NASA astronaut.

Katherine Johnson was known as the “human computer.” And, without her, Glenn’s mission would not have happened.

Johnson made history as not only one of NASA’s first black female employees, but she was also one of the mathematicians who invented and verified the computer calculations that sent Glenn into orbit. And, of course, brought him home safely.

In a statement released on Friday, Johnson remembered her friend.

“A good man has left Earth for the last time,” Johnson said. “John Glenn’s life will long be remembered for his time in space, his courage and his service to all Americans.”

In the ’60s, Johnson and her two African American female colleagues, Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson, were called the “colored computers.” Their truly inspiring story will be told in the upcoming film Hidden Figures, which hits theaters on Christmas day.

• Like 5

On 12/1/2016 at 9:20 PM, tribefan695 said:

Take the label up with TVTropes, then, because it's the one that most accurately defines the character she's typecast as.

I think it's a subject that should call for deep thought. We have plenty of artistic works already that introduce kids to the nebulous problems of racism and sexism and at this point I don't get hyped for "feel-good triumphs of the spirit" anymore

Using TV Tropes as a reference when stereotyping women of color is the definition of shallow, IMO. 

At this point, I am through with movies and shows that try to humanize inhuman behavior. When and if I write a story based on my experiences growing up in the segregated South, you can bet your ass I am not going to try to get into the heads of the men under the Klan sheets who tried to burn my family out of our home. I know what their reasoning was, believe me: "How dare those n-----s build a new house when we told them not to?" But does that matter and do I give a shit? Fuck no. Sympathy for the devils is something I will never have. 

• Like 5