kayumanggi

HIDDEN FIGURES | 12.25.16 | Fox | Stage musical in the works

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I'm starting to think Fences could hurt this movie. Just from what I've been seeing on facebook. Or they could hurt each other. Also there are many people who seem to think this is going wide on Christmas... 

It's only opening in 25 theaters (and select cities) on Christmas Day.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ban1o said:

I'm starting to think Fences could hurt this movie. Just from what I've been seeing on facebook. Or they could hurt each other. Also there are many people who seem to think this is going wide on Christmas... 

If 20 films about white people can coexist on any given week, I am sure that two films about African Americans can be released close to each other. 

• Like 8

Saw this (literally down the road from NASA Langley, woohoo!), it's well acted and put together, I'd say the trailers and ads capture the tone pretty well: the women handle the insults/slights/adversities with humor, dignity and determination. Obviously racism is an element in the story, it was early 1960s Virginia, home of Massive Resistance, but it's a PG movie, not Mississippi Burning or The Butler even. Like the trailers showed, various white characters are portrayed with a range of attitudes about race.

Off to read the book now, to see what was real and what was dramatized for the screen. Not that HF wasn't enjoyable but the treatment of the characters and story felt a bit...surface? at times, but there was a lot of material covered, so something has to give.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 8

On 12/29/2016 at 6:58 PM, Poseidon said:

BO has this at 11m for opening, I think that is quite low. The trailers have massive clicks on Facebook and this movie will appeal much more to all audiences, than a Madea movie. It might not hit "The Help"-Regions, but it will certainly be quite big. 

I hope Kim Burrell idiot ass doesn't hurt this movie . Gosh I want to strangle her lmao

Edited by ban1o

45 minutes ago, ban1o said:

I hope Kim Burrell idiot ass doesn't hurt this movie . Gosh I want to strangle her lmao

While her comments were definitely unacceptable, I don't think it'll hurt the movie. If anything will hurt it, it will be the weather and NFL games this weekend. 

Regardless of the opening (unless it's real bad), it should see a fantastic multiplier.

1 hour ago, BenedictL11 said:

While her comments were definitely unacceptable, I don't think it'll hurt the movie. If anything will hurt it, it will be the weather and NFL games this weekend. 

Regardless of the opening (unless it's real bad), it should see a fantastic multiplier.

yeah the weather is pretty terrible where I live lol.