kayumanggi

HIDDEN FIGURES | 12.25.16 | Fox | Stage musical in the works

It's official. Over the past weekend, Hidden Figures is this year's highest grossing Oscar nominee for Best Picture. Let's see if it keeps that lead up to the Oscars and beyond (unless LLL gets that providential Oscar bump everybody has locked and loaded since the beginning of Oscar season).

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Damn, great run. I'd be surprised if it makes a dent OS but it's quite nice to see an old-fashioned sleeper hit like this.

I checked the OS roll-out compared to LLL, Hidden Figures hasn't opened in a lot of overseas markets like UK and France (that latter release has been pushed down the line from mid-February to March 8th :rolleyes:)  for hence. I hope foreign distributors take notice of its domestic run and give it a good theater count.

Edited by dashrendar44

I'm thinking it can do really well in Australia.  Especially with it being released after the Oscar nominations. There's preview screenings FSS here this weekend and then the full opening is next Thursday. 

The Blind Side might be an interesting comparison. It also had a February opening here and Australia was the second biggest market after Domestic. 

21 minutes ago, AAbitterY said:

I really hope Janelle Monae keeps showing up in movies. She was great in both this and Moonlight.

Janelle Monae needs to star in a Musical ASAP, she got movie star charisma and presence in spades. Maybe turn her Archandroid concept album into a feature length movie (Like Outkast did with Idlewild). She's also a big sci-fi nerd, that album was under serious nfluence of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. I once evoked how a scifi musical could be an original and refreshing concept, that could be it.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Janelle Monae needs to star in a Musical ASAP, she got movie star charisma and presence in spades. Maybe turn her Archandroid concept album into a feature length movie (Like Outkast did with Idlewild). She's also a big sci-fi nerd, that album was under serious nfluence of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. I once evoked how a scifi musical could be an original and refreshing concept, that could be it.

She's wickedly talented. A sci-fi musical with her could be really dope. I can definitely see her getting an EGOT down the line, if she chooses to go down that avenue.

• Like 1